Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inside floor prep question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MecGen
My plan as it stands now, is to take my interior out, and install my Re-infors kit. after. sawzall-smiley.gif
I am really leaning to a bed liner material that you spray on. I have removed the underlay and stinkey sound pad a long time ago, so maybe this would work double as a sound deading material. I made some enquiries to friends and there is supposed to be different textures, and probably colors.
Any pros and cons, sugestion ?
I am leaning to a smoother finnish, blue to match the color of the car. After a good cleaning, I really want the Sound system offered by the guy here. The added wieght of the bedliner, is not a concern, i'm 30 pounds liter then when I first bought the car, so I am still ahead of the game. smilie_pokal.gif
Thanx everyone
WBR
Joe

party.gif
914GT
Hi Joe

I think the bedliner has some advantages over the original material, which allowed water to get trapped underneath and rust the floor. You'd want to remove as much of the old tar stuff as possible and I don't think I'd put the bed liner on bare metal - I think a coat of epoxy primer or POR15 should go down first.
MecGen
Hey
Yup looking into the Por15, I have been hearing lots about it. Do you know if its sold at the big chains? Napa maybe?
I just so happen to be storing my friends frame machine, for a while at the shop, hennce the supports. I am going ask an extremely qualified, frame man, with 914 experience, to come and have a gander, he went the full root on his, inner, outer,clamshells, floors, and suspension console, I helpped on some of it.
Going to be interesting. smash.gif
Anybody do the bed liner thing ?
WBR
Joe

rock_band.gif
xsboost90
just go to the www.por15.com website-not sure if that link will work, and order it up. Its in indiana and mine was delivered the next day!
Type 4
Treat the floor with Ospho. Then paint with Hammerite Smooth finish.
MecGen
Type4, can I ask 2 stupid questions
Ospho - is it a primer or rust inhibbitor, or ?
Hammerite Smooth finish - is this a paint, undercoat, or bedliner ?
If you have an idea where these product are sold, maybe I can find an Canadian distributor, maybe a link ?
I am still looking hard at por15
Thanx
WBR
Joe

boldblue.gif

MecGen
Hey check the pic out...this is what I want... Olympic Blue.

Allan
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Feb 20 2005, 09:18 AM)
Ospho - is it a primer or rust inhibbitor, or ?

Phosphoric acid = Naval Jelly
SirAndy
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Feb 20 2005, 07:47 AM)
I am really leaning to a bed liner material that you spray on.

icon8.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Feb 20 2005, 12:03 PM)
Hey check the pic out...this is what I want... Olympic Blue.

thats pretty cool. im sure that would have good sound deadening qualities....

carpet over that idea.gif
Type 4
OSPHO is a rust treatment you can get at the Hardware store
Hammerite is sold thru Home Depot
http://www.hammerite.com/webapp/wcs/stores...p/Home_Page.jsp

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/ospho.htm

http://www.ospho.com/
IronHillRestorations
I don't like the bedliner idea, unless of course you are going to treat the cabin of your 914 like the bed of a pickup truck. Add in the fact that it looks like a pickup bedliner when you are done too. Bedliner means barf.gif to me, but that's my opinion. It's your car do what makes you happy.

Since your 914 will never get exposure to the elements that have got it in the current condition, there's no reason not to use a asphaltic mat sound deadener over a properly corrosion treated and painted pan.

I've used some from JC Whitney, and some from B-Quiet, with very satisfactory results. The B-Quiet "Brown Bread" is a good product and reasonably priced, but it does have a silver backing that you might not like (paint it if you don't).

You can use Ospho, Oxy-Solv, Naval Jelly, and several other products to treat any corrosion and they leave a zinc phosphate coating which helps prevent future oxidation. After that use a high quality primer and finish coat.

POR15 is a excellent product that will give you good results. It is used in my shop.
Rog914
Getting ready to do the inner long stiff kit too. But I'm going to try "Rust-Bullet" instead Por-15 & "Herculiner" instead Rhino liner. Heard from this board and else where that they just as good or better than the other stuff. So I'm going to try it out.

Ralph
Type 4
If you have to have a sound pad tryPlasti Dip after you have painted it with Hammerite.

http://www.plastidip.com/
MecGen
Thanx for the ideas/tipps
Just to clearify things, I am talkin to a distributor about texture. I will not put on a "big sandpaper" finnish, repeat will not. I am using it for its quality coating pros vrs cons.
My plan so far :
Clean everthing on floor before/after the welds, coat with por15, seal it with a smooth, color correct, coating. This is my goal.
THANKS EVERYBODY
I will let you know how it turns out = documentation.
WBR
Joe

beerchug.gif
airsix
I am 100% for the bedliner idea.

• lighter than asphalt
  • will not get brittle and separate with age like asphalt
  • will not let moisture in like aged brittle asphalt
  • one application performs the job of both seam-sealer and asphalt - two birds, one stone.
  • Don't have to paint over it to match colors. Make that 3-birds, one stone.
  • tougher than asphalt Scratch it , gouge it. It won't come off in chunks. Paint won't chip off.
  • Smooth or orange-peel texture will look good. As long as you don't get the course gripper texture it'll look great IMHO. It will NOT look like a truck bed.
  • better sound deadening than just using paint.

Save the asphalt for building roads or sealing old-testament era reed boats. It doesn't have any place in a high-performance automobile when modern matterials are available which seal better, last longer, and weigh less.

-Ben M.
CptTripps
I posed that question a few weeks ago...got mixed replies...much like the ones you got here tonight. =)

I'm for it too. I'm going to paint over it though. I got a lot of people saying how heavy it is, but I say bs.gif to that. If the can it comes in only weighs 2.5lbs, how can it add '20-40lbs' to the car?

I'm interested in the fact that it's 100% watter/rust proof. I looked at Dynamat-ing the whole interior, but that was goint to mean I'd have to spray the silver backing anyway, and that stuff stuck just as much as the Herculiner that I tried on a sample piece of metal. I don't plan on having to scrape anything any time soon anyways...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.