Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirIke
Hi! I'm the new guy on the block. I need a little hlep. I've found a car, but it has some rust problems. the front driver side suspension mount has rusted off. How difficult it is to get it fix. Is it better to do it yourself are to have someone professional to do it. The car is a 74 fi . The guy can not find the keys. He said that the car has not been used in two years. He wants about $1200, is this a fare price or should I try and have him go down on price or look for another car.
914GT
Personally I would not spend $1200 for a car that sounds like has some major rust issues. If the front is that bad then there's probably rust lurking in the other usual areas too. The car would have to have something else going for it, like a 911 5-lug, before I'd spend that much. Post some pics if you have some. But I'd limit yourself to $500 if there's major rust.
Oh, by the way, welcome to the club!
SLITS
I know where Houston is, but I don't know how far Murphy, TX is from you. As a newbie, I would get ahold of Spare Time Toys (Larry) on this board...if you are close enough, he has the experience to really evaluate the car.

$1200...probably not.
SirIke
QUOTE (914GT @ Feb 20 2005, 08:16 AM)
Personally I would not spend $1200 for a car that sounds like has some major rust issues. If the front is that bad then there's probably rust lurking in the other usual areas too. The car would have to have something else going for it, like a 911 5-lug, before I'd spend that much. Post some pics if you have some. But I'd limit yourself to $500 if there's major rust.
Oh, by the way, welcome to the club!

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to post how everything went.
rick 918-S
That sounds like an unusual place for rust. Better look under the battery tray and suspension consule and hell hole. (pocket infront of the battery tray. Could be a time bomb.
SirAndy
QUOTE (914GT @ Feb 20 2005, 08:16 AM)
If the front is that bad then there's probably rust lurking in the other usual areas too.

agree.gif
DJsRepS
$400 parts car unless it is an 2.0 or 2.2 6cyl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.