Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs Offset...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hello...does anyone know the offset of the 4 spoke 914 Fuchs ?
Thanks.
mskala
QUOTE(MikeM @ May 13 2015, 09:50 PM) *

Hello...does anyone know the offset of the 4 spoke 914 Fuchs ?
Thanks.

The PET lists all the 5.5" wheels at ET40.
MikeM
ok thanks!!!
MikeM
Now I'm confused. I'm looking at some replicas but the ad says "4 inch backspacing".
What does ET40 mean? 40 mm.?
Mike
rhodyguy
The back spacing, measured with a tape and rule, is 4 5/8" on OEM Fuchs wheels. The 5/8 makes all the dif in the world on a narrow body car, with unaltered wheel wells, and running 195 width tires.
Mueller
QUOTE(MikeM @ May 14 2015, 06:46 AM) *

Now I'm confused. I'm looking at some replicas but the ad says "4 inch backspacing".
What does ET40 mean? 40 mm.?
Mike

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

Offest is an European term, backspacing is redneck (I mean American term) smile.gif

Backspacing is from the hub surface to the out most point of the rim. You measure this by using a straightedge across the wheel and measure... a picture will explain better than me..

Click to view attachment
Mueller
If you notice, backspacing takes into account the thickness of the lip, offset does not.

So 2 rims with the same width and offset may have different backspacing depending on how the rims have been made. I wouldn't think it would vary by more than 1/4" to 3/8" max
MikeM
OK great info!! So I guess now I need to ask what is the "backspacing" measurement on a 4 paddle Fuchs wheel?
Thanks
MikeM
OK...I just re-read Rhodyguy's response. So a 4 inch backspace will not work? Correct? It's a narrow body car.
Mike
Mueller
QUOTE(MikeM @ May 14 2015, 07:10 AM) *

OK...I just re-read Rhodyguy's response. So a 4 inch backspace will not work? Correct? It's a narrow body car.
Mike

I guess you could see what you currently have and compare the numbers?

The rims you listed with a 4" backspace will be closer to the fender edges and might rub in the back.
rhodyguy
4"? Results may vary. IMHO, a major factor is what size tire you intend to run. You don't want to drop $$ on a wheel and tire package only to find you need to make adjustments to the chassis. Those adjustments, rolling the wheel wells or trimming the lips, will be expensive to undo.
MikeM
Good point. I have almost new 195/55's now so that's what I would be using.
Don't really want to roll the quarter panels.
rhodyguy
What style of wheels are currently on your car?
MikeM
Mahles...should have mentioned that!!
stugray
I run 205 50/15 Hoosiers on the stock 2.0L Fuchs and they rubbed in the rear, on the inside, on the track (probably would NOT rub on the street).
That is with NO shims for camber (max camber).

So I used 3/8" spacers and still have room on the fender side.

195s should fit with the stock rims and no spacers.

Note: LONGER bolts/studs are required (even longer than the special 2.0L-Fuchs bolts) with the spacers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.