Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: plugging air pump holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triaddave
i have a head from a later car that had air pump. i have the hex head bolts (m10 x 50mm x 1.0 mm) to close the holes. should i use some kind of sealant on the threads?
the hex head bolts need to be turned to correct angle so as to clear the manifolds, which is good because they can not back out. what do you think i should do?
Allan
I'm going to be doing this as well but havent decided on a sealant. Maybe some high temp pipe sealant used in super heated steam lines. Just make sure that whatever you use will allow you to get them back out or you wont be able to remove the tin.
Bleyseng
I thought you could use the 10mm valve adjusters in the holes with a high temp sealant.

Geoff
Aaron Cox
can you just cut them off and weld em shut??
Bleyseng
only if the heads are off, then you can have then filled.
You want to drill out and install the breather tubes, Dave or the backpressure will blow out the valve cover gasket and the pushrod tubes.

Geoff
Allan
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 20 2005, 10:50 AM)
only if the heads are off, then you can have then filled.
You want to drill out and install the breather tubes, Dave or the backpressure will blow out the valve cover gasket and the pushrod tubes.

Geoff

ohmy.gif What is this of which you speak? I don't think I ever saw this addressed in other threads regarding this. My motor is all buttoned up.
Aaron Cox
user posted image
user posted image
Allan
Oh that's great. I don't know how to add that. I'm assuming that there is a hose attached to it? Where does the other end go? Is it done on both heads?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 20 2005, 12:19 PM)
Oh that's great.  I don't know how to add that.  I'm assuming that there is a hose attached to it?  Where does the other end go?  Is it done on both heads?

yes. and yes. drill and tap.... put a hose on. on a carbed car you vent it to the carbs or to a breather box....

the joy s of smog heads biggrin.gif
Allan
So if I don't do this my valve covers will leak and the push-rod tube seals will blow out?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 20 2005, 12:25 PM)
So if I don't do this my valve covers will leak and the push-rod tube seals will blow out?

and your motor will eat a cam...and your wife will leave you and you will grow old and ugly biggrin.gif not a big deal alan

you can vent the valve covers if that is easier for you..... cool.gif
Allan
What size is the fitting? Can I get directions on the procedure?
Type 4
Use Set Screws with hex driver and locktite
Rhodes71/914
Allen- to not hijack this thread any more I posted on a thread that I started in December regarding the head breather question.
Allan
Thanks, will look.
Triaddave
thanks for the input to all. you are right about the breather hose on that side, i can still do that and was wondering if it would be an issue. the engine is assembled so welding it shut is not a option. and taking the tin off someday would be a good idea so i'm still thinking like some lock tight,heat may be a problem (with lock tight).
another thought,should i install the insulator gaskets between the heads and the manifolds? is there an issue there as well?
i just took off the velocity stacks (again) and installed paper gaskets under them.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Triaddave @ Feb 20 2005, 03:27 PM)
thanks for the input to all. you are right about the breather hose on that side, i can still do that and was wondering if it would be an issue. the engine is assembled so welding it shut is not a option. and taking the tin off someday would be a good idea so i'm still thinking like some lock tight,heat may be a problem (with lock tight).
another thought,should i install the insulator gaskets between the heads and the manifolds? is there an issue there as well?
i just took off the velocity stacks (again) and installed paper gaskets under them.

i belive its good to use a heat isolating gasket between the heads and the intake manifolds.... keeps the mixture cooler....
Triaddave
thanks aaron, the isolater is a good idea,i was just thinking that with the extra tall and wide manifolds that i have that cooling might not be an issue...besides i have the oil cooler mounted in such a way as to get max cooling (in dual grill with fan unit). i'll use the isolators.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.