Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think we need to have an intervention
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesM
Seriously 27k for an admittedly non matching LE?!?! Hell even if it was matching its no 27k car.

Not meaning to knock whoever car this is, and i really hope they find someone dumb enough to drop 27k here, or even 17k, but come on!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Limite...em=221772262362
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JamesM @ May 13 2015, 09:34 PM) *

Seriously 27k for an admittedly non matching LE?!?! Hell even if it was matching its no 27k car.

Not meaning to knock whoever car this is, and i really hope they find someone dumb enough to drop 27k here, or even 17k, but come on!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Limite...em=221772262362

A restored matching number LE is worth more than $30k. This car would need a PPI but may be worth the asking price.

It's only worth what someone will pay...
MoveQik
Look....for the sake of 914's in general, I hope they get it. That said, every time an LE comes up for sale I crack up at the description. The "rarity" factor is on display in every other sentence but yet nobody will pay much of a premium compared to a similar restored, numbers matching 2.0, non-LE car. Plain and simple. I hear tales of LE's being worth three times as much as a comparable non-LE 2.0 but much like a unicorn, nobody has seen it.

dry.gif
sixnotfour
My Mom wanted me to buy a bumble bee when I was 18yrs old..
I said to her "Mom I want a Six not a Four"...I already had Sport Bug super beetle with cool seats, steering wheel, and stripes and black anodized trim ..hey how many of those VW's did they make ???

"whatever the market will bear" the long tested statement of all Things for Sale..

Good Luck to all with sales beerchug.gif
somd914
As been mentioned in other threads, there are countless "limited edition" trim packages throughout Porsche's history, but for some reason the LEs are making noise. As previously mentioned, it is worth what people will pay, the real question is what is the value down the road? Could be more, could be less... if I were looking for an investment car, I'd look elsewhere because looking at the rest of the car market, LE asking prices make no sense, thus more likely to fall in my opinion.

As for wanting 914 prices to escalate, be careful of what you ask for. This typically means increased parts prices, fewer actually being driven, and a owner attitude different from what we find our community now.
rhodyguy
An increase in part pricing? Really? You would never know it by the asking prices for parts in the classifieds.
somd914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 14 2015, 09:03 AM) *

An increase in part pricing? Really? You would never know it by the asking prices for parts in the classifieds.

I never said they have gone up, I just cautioned that for those who want to see 914 prices escalate, parts prices will likely climb also.

And as for a changing community, well, I like it just the way we are...

The 914 Community:

Click to view attachment

The 356 Community: wacko.gif

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
av-943.gif
ripper911
agree.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Martin Baker
I was recently asked what I thought my car was worth, so we looked it up using the NADA Classic Car Site. I was a bit more than "shocked"

I am aware that this is a guide, but these cars are on the move, which is good and bad.

If you read close, in the car description area, this estimate does not include very high end restorations. Only high quality drivers, and down.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/197...arga-2-0/Values
r_towle
somd914
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ May 14 2015, 10:07 PM) *

I was recently asked what I thought my car was worth, so we looked it up using the NADA Classic Car Site. I was a bit more than "shocked"

I am aware that this is a guide, but these cars are on the move, which is good and bad.

If you read close, in the car description area, this estimate does not include very high end restorations. Only high quality drivers, and down.

I agree prices are increasing, but based on those I've seen up for sale, I'd believe Hagarty's pricing more which show similar dollar values but associated with higher end cars:

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...eport?vbe=61341

Based on NADA my 914 has appreciated approximately 50% in the 4+ years I've owned her and almost worth as much as my '84 911, but yet NADA shows my 911 has been flat for the 2.5 years I've owned her which is definitely contrary to the market and Hagarty.

But as you say, these are guides, and from what I've seen, classic Euro cars as a whole seem to be on the rise. It's reminding me of the muscle car boom of several years back.

mepstein
QUOTE(somd914 @ May 15 2015, 05:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Martin Baker @ May 14 2015, 10:07 PM) *

I agree prices are increasing, but based on those I've seen up for sale, I'd believe Hagarty's pricing more which show similar dollar values but associated with higher end cars:

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...eport?vbe=61341

Based on NADA my 914 has appreciated approximately 50% in the 4+ years I've owned her and almost worth as much as my '84 911, but yet NADA shows my 911 has been flat for the 2.5 years I've owned her which is definitely contrary to the market and Hagarty.

But as you say, these are guides, and from what I've seen, classic Euro cars as a whole seem to be on the rise. It's reminding me of the muscle car boom of several years back.

Mid 80's 911 have almost doubled in the last couple years. I used to see nice cars selling for 15-20k, now they are all 30-40. And they sell for that price, not just list. It's a rare 914-4 that sells for more than 30k

rick 918-S
I would pay that price for the right car. But I'm crazy like that.. screwy.gif BTW: the right car would not include a picnic basket... wacko.gif
r_towle
I predict we break the 20k barrier and stay north of that this year.

We are close to it now, but given supply and demand on other models, we are the last way in for short money....so 20k is a valid number.

I dont see 30k for a while unless its a gem.

rich
JmuRiz
I have no issues with the seller asking that. Doesn't mean anyone will actually pay it, but there's no harm in asking.

If I put an ad for my car I'd list it at 2x that it's worth, just because I don't ever want to really sell it.
Big Len
It could be that Hagerty and NADA have a higher guide because they want to get higher premiums. In the NADA link, a 1973 2.0's average retail is over $23K. Even for a prime car, that seems a little high, maybe by just a few thousand.

I agree with Rich that $20K is getting more typical. And if that is the case, as I said before, make sure that rise is calculated into your insurance value.
mepstein
QUOTE(Big Len @ May 15 2015, 10:39 AM) *

It could be that Hagerty and NADA have a higher guide because they want to get higher premiums. In the NADA link, a 1973 2.0's average retail is over $23K. Even for a prime car, that seems a little high, maybe by just a few thousand.

I agree with Rich that $20K is getting more typical. And if that is the case, as I said before, make sure that rise is calculated into your insurance value.

The problem is it usually takes $30k to get your car up to a $20k value
eric9144
Like Len pointed out, I just readjusted my AAA classic policy to $25k and they didn't blink an eye at that value...

Many of us are in denial that the prices are going up as much as they are, hell I paid $4300 for my car in the early-mid 90's from the original owner beerchug.gif
wes
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 15 2015, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ May 15 2015, 10:39 AM) *

The problem is it usually takes $30k to get your car up to a $20k value

agree.gif
somd914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 15 2015, 11:22 AM) *

Like Len pointed out, I just readjusted my AAA classic policy to $25k and they didn't blink an eye at that value...

Many of us are in denial that the prices are going up as much as they are, hell I paid $4300 for my car in the early-mid 90's from the original owner beerchug.gif

I'm not in denial, I just disagree with NADA's numbers. Based on what I've seen advertised between here, Pelican, Hemmings, E-Bay, Craigslist, etc I feel Hagarty's numbers are are more realistic for both 914s and 911s, especially if you follow their condition guide.

As for insurance, since most of us likely pay based on agreed value, trumping up the values doesn't work in insurance companies favors. It only penalizes us if we undervalue our own cars since we won't get market price in a settlement, thus we'll be paying out of pocket to replace it. If we over value it, well then I have spare cash to buy everyone beer! beer3.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like owning an appreciating toy for a change - beats the hell out of the sailboat in that respect... But I'd hate to see 914s go the same way as early 911s, 356s, and of recent, 930s. For those looking to sell, it's great, for those looking to own and drive, then pass on to my car enthusiast sons, it's not necessarily good news.
worn
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 13 2015, 10:32 PM) *

Look....for the sake of 914's in general, I hope they get it. That said, every time an LE comes up for sale I crack up at the description. The "rarity" factor is on display in every other sentence but yet nobody will pay much of a premium compared to a similar restored, numbers matching 2.0, non-LE car. Plain and simple. I hear tales of LE's being worth three times as much as a comparable non-LE 2.0 but much like a unicorn, nobody has seen it.

dry.gif

I saw a unicorn. My wife took me to see Harry Potter.
Porschef
QUOTE(somd914 @ May 14 2015, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 14 2015, 09:03 AM) *

I never said they have gone up, I just cautioned that for those who want to see 914 prices escalate, parts prices will likely climb also.

And as for a changing community, well, I like it just the way we are...

The 914 Community:

Click to view attachment

The 356 Community: wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

Hey what happened to the 356 crowd pic?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.