Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
I have added a CHT and OP gauge to my car (the 2" or so diameter ones). Since resurrecting the car, I have just had them wedged into the old DIN radio slot. It works, but its fugly. My car never had a console, and I never put the cubby box back in. I kinda like it all open.

I am looking for ideas as to where to do a permanent mount for them. Since I am not running a radio, I suppose I could put a new piece in the radio location that is cut for the gauges. I am not a fan of the metal under dash mounts, and the A-pillar mounts are a bit boy racer to my tastes. I have seen the ashtray mount trick, and am not wild about it either.

Anyone got any other creative ideas for where I could locate a couple gauges? Oh, and I MIGHT ad and Oil temp gauge while at it.
JmuRiz
In the gauge panel is the best:

Either add a quad-gauge
or
add a triple gauge and get a tech with a fuel gauge inset (like a turbo boost gauge)

Granted, these cost $$, but they look GREAT!
jfort
there is a 2 gauge holder that replaces the ash tray
campbellcj
I had some in the radio location for a few years and thought it looked fine, but now prefer the triple/quad gauge for at-speed visibility reasons.
type47
QUOTE(jfort @ May 14 2015, 12:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment
914forme
QUOTE(type47 @ May 14 2015, 05:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You can also redo the stock location, and add a bunch of gauges over there. I did it on my auto-x car. But then I also ran a bike speedo, to keep cops off my behind, and a Monster Tach. But full compliment of gauges 2 CHTs, oil temp, pressure, voltage, a fuel gauge was dumped where the radio used to be.

Revamp of this car will be Full Size Speedo, Large VDO tach, and a quad gauge, but it is going to be on the street / Auto-x / DE car and Subaru powered so, oil pressure, fuel, water temp, and voltage.

Oh and full stereo so I lost that spot.

You can see the quad gauge ideas below
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(type47 @ May 14 2015, 04:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

who makes that gauge holder??
Spoke
This is my previous '74 914 with lots of gauges. 2 gauges on the steering column and 2 in the ashtray.

I think all the gauge holders can be bought at your FLAPS.
r_towle
Getty dashboard like Sir
Andy has
michael7810
Rennmetal sells the ash tray gauge mount. After I got the carbs dialed in I moved mine to below the dash with a simple mod to the mount.

Click to view attachment
toolguy
bigger is not necessarily better. .
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2015, 07:30 PM) *
Getty dashboard like Sir Andy has

Plenty of space one could use for additional gauges on a /4 since you don't need all them fancy things that clutter up my dash.
idea.gif

IPB Image

VaccaRabite
IPB Image
a-pillar pod is really easy to put on, and works well.

Zach
Highland
Click to view attachment

Here's my AFM and CHT. No heater though, so I used the heater
tubes to run wires.
Elliot Cannon
I made a small console below the middle of the dash. I cut 2" black plastic pipe at an angle for bezels to better see the gauges from the drivers seat. The switches are for the fuel pump shut off, driving lights and interior light. All the gauges are lighted hence a real rats nest of wires inside the console. biggrin.gif
DBCooper
I like the quad gauge idea because it puts everything in one place. This is with a VDO tach with programable red line and shift light, plus an electronic speedometer. It's not original, but it's still in the VDO style, is modern tech, and it works with different engines/transmissions.

IPB Image

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 18 2015, 05:03 PM) *

IPB Image
a-pillar pod is really easy to put on, and works well.

Zach

agree.gif

dangerranger01
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 17 2015, 05:31 PM) *

This is my previous '74 914 with lots of gauges. 2 gauges on the steering column and 2 in the ashtray.

I think all the gauge holders can be bought at your FLAPS.

Hey Spoke, do you know what brand steering wheel you've got there??
GeorgeRud
I used the rubber VDO mount in the ashtray location for mine.Click to view attachment
Dion
Some variation. Dual holder next to each other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.