Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POR-15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Just had my first experience with POR-15 in the hell hole. Anybody know the average drying time? Seems to take forever.

Before
Allan
After
Marlow
I found that it typically dries overnight. POR-15 uses moisture in the air to cure so relative humidity will make a difference in drying time.
Marlow
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE POR-15 TO DRY?
That depends on the ambient humidity (surrounding area). The more humid the area, the faster the dry time, which usually varies from 3 to 6 hours.

That's a quote from www.prp-porshop.com. They have a pretty good FAQ about POR-15
Aaron Cox
dont get it on your hootus ohmy.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 20 2005, 03:14 PM)
dont get it on your hootus ohmy.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif

I actually managed to keep it off of the skin. I have to add a second coat so hopefully I can manage then as well. wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 20 2005, 02:31 PM)
Before

i sure hope you sprayed some metal-ready on there first! ohmy.gif

otherwise, it'll quietly rust under the nice layer of waterproof POR-15 ...
sad.gif Andy
Allan
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 20 2005, 03:37 PM)
Before

sad.gif Andy

Yep. I actually did it twice just to make sure. I have a feeling it's gonna rust anyway. huh.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 20 2005, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 20 2005, 03:37 PM)
Before

sad.gif Andy

Yep. I actually did it twice just to make sure. I have a feeling it's gonna rust anyway. huh.gif

I don't know Allan, I've got some parts that were rusty, wire brushed, and coated 5 years ago (only used the "metal ready" on the clean metal, which there wasn't too much of. If you wipe the dust off of them they look as good as the day they were coated......and that's in the midwest, land of eternal rust. The only way it's going to rust is from the inside out.
Allan
Well I don't "plan" on driving it in wet conditions and it will be garaged so maybe it'll stay nice. I still have other areas that need rust work but the engine bay is the priority so I can get the motor back in. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
I don't know how true it is about the moisture bit.

I painted a bunch of stuff with POR-15 last weekend in my heated and very dry shop. About 3hrs dry (to the touch) time.

It's so dry I have to use chapstick and I hate the crap.
xsboost90
i think they meant if its too humid itll take longer to dry. Mine dried fine overnite.
SpecialK
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Feb 20 2005, 04:59 PM)
i think they meant if its too humid itll take longer to dry. Mine dried fine overnite.

Nope, the more humid, the faster it dries. In the spring and summer the cup of paint starts skimming over in 15 - 20 mins., and the part can be handled in less than 2 hrs. (from my experiences in the sweat-belt of the US).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.