Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Spark. 1974 1.8 L-Jet. Pertronix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tach
1974 1.8 L-Jet. Pertronix 1847V. No spark when cranking over the engine. I do get one spark on a plug when I turn the key switch off and the rotor is in the correct position to spark that particular plug. What to check?

New cap and rotor.
Bosch blue coil.

Update. It looks like the pertonix sensor is to high on the distributor mounting plate.
TheCabinetmaker
Your missing something in your distributor. Points and condenser.
budk
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 16 2015, 06:58 AM) *

Your missing something in your distributor. Points and condenser.

You missed the part about having a Pertronix.
TheCabinetmaker
Well, no. I did not, but you missed my attempt at humor! His pertronics is probably toast. He needs to install points and see if it runs.
Old Yella
rotor maybe---or timing is just out
rhodyguy
Does your timing light flash when you test each plug wire while cranking?
sportlicherFahrer
Had the same issue a couple years ago. Every time it sporadically sparked it sounded like I was shooting ducks in my garage. Neighbors LOVED it! dry.gif Failing module from what I could tell. Ended up putting the good ol' mechanical stuff back in and drove down the road fine after 5 minutes of reinstalling and setting timing.
pilothyer
I have found one of the most important things you need when converting from mechanical points to a Pertronics............A SPARE PERTRONICS SET-UP.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(pilothyer @ May 16 2015, 01:15 PM) *

I have found one of the most important things you need when converting from mechanical points to a Pertronics............A SPARE PERTRONICS SET-UP.

agree.gif
turk22
Make sure the petronix magnet is seated correctly on the rotor. I had a similar problem shortly after original install, it was that the magnet was not fully seated correctly on the rotor.
76-914
They have a trouble shooting guide on their website if you want to check the unit. I've had one set in for 5+ years w/o any problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.