Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stolen 914 found after 8 years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RAX914
Makes you wonder why is was stolen in the first place, it wasn't driven and it wasn't parted out:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_2812473...ght-years-later
dlkawashima
Santa Cruz woman finds her stolen Porsche eight years later

By Calvin Men - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Click to view attachment

May 15--SANTA CRUZ -- Michele Benson is a car person.

Cars, she said, have a bit of a soul and need to be respected.

So in 2007, when someone stole her 1976 Porsche 914 out of her driveway in Santa Cruz,
it was akin to losing a loved one.

But eight years after the car was pilfered, she received a notice: A dealership in the central
valley town of Oakdale had her car.

"It's a love story," said Benson, an entertainment photographer. "The car was definitely
looking for me and somehow she found me."

And a whirlwind affair it was.

The dealership, about a 120-mile drive east of Santa Cruz, acquired the car after it was
towed from a nearby farm. The car was among 10 abandoned cars on the farm and among
three that were towed from the farm to the lot.

Click to view attachment

When the car was stolen in 2007, Benson was in the middle of various projects in her life.
She was working on a feature film, working at a renaissance fair, in the middle of installing
an art project at a downtown Santa Cruz bar, trying to raise a daughter and moving out of
her home.

The theft came during the move. She packed boxes and bags into the family's second car
to take to their new home and when she returned for her Porsche, it was gone.

"I had a lot on my plate. I did go to the DMV and speak with them and California Highway
Patrol," Benson said. "But there's not a whole lot they can do when a car is stolen. Over a
period of time, I just kind of said, 'Ouch, she's gone.'"

Benson said she resigned herself to the idea that the car was gone. So she didn't quite
believe it when she got the notice.

"I got teary-eyed and said, 'Oh my God they found my car.' But my husband said he
couldn't believe it,'" Benson said.

But a three-drive hour later, Benson stood in front of her car, a shabby version of what she
remembered. The fabric to the seat was torn. The car's top was weathered and the white
body that once shown brightly was showing signs of rust.

"She's got problems. She needs some work here and Botox isn't going to fix her," Benson said.

Whoever stole the car didn't drive it much.

"When she was taken, I had 90,000 (miles) and change on her. That's what she has on her now."

The car is at her husband's auto shop, Hayes European, on 17th Avenue in Live Oak.

Benson said she isn't sure of repair costs. But she said she plans to restore the car to its full glory.

"Any car that works that hard for that many years to get back to me, she has my complete devotion."
"It's a love affair that's not going to stop here."

Click to view attachment
pilothyer
Good to hear.................Looks to me like Michele weathered much better than the poor car. biggrin.gif
Ian Stott
Glad you got your car back! Glad you are gonna restore it! Great story, thanks for sharing. With that kind of history I think it will become a family heirloom and the kids can tell this unique and rare story.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada driving-girl.gif
Cairo94507
Wow- Congratulations- Happy ending! I am glad she got her car back. Note to self: Figure out what to do so that if my car is ever taken I can find it immediately!
tomrev
The right kind of gal to have a 914!
r_towle
Very cool story. I hope someone drops by the shop in a 914 and tells her to join our club for lots of friends and help sourcing parts for the restoration.

Rich
914bub
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 16 2015, 02:52 PM) *

Very cool story. I hope someone drops by the shop in a 914 and tells her to join our club for lots of friends and help sourcing parts for the restoration.

Rich

Interesting you'd say that. I lived in Santa Cruz until last summer so as I started to read the story I was intrigued. I read further and realized the car was found near me,(Oakdale). I now live in Modesto.

I read even further and was blown away. I know her husband, (John Hayes),owner of Hayes European, personally and used to work with him at a Volvo shop in Santa Cruz,(Valle European).

I will call John Monday and try to get more info,including the VIN or ask him or her to join our community.

It IS a small world,...... after all!
Valy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 16 2015, 01:45 PM) *

Wow- Congratulations- Happy ending! I am glad she got her car back. Note to self: Figure out what to do so that if my car is ever taken I can find it immediately!

Paint it gold.
White makes them go missing for a long time.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(914bub @ May 16 2015, 03:05 PM) *

Rich

Interesting you'd say that. I lived in Santa Cruz until last summer so as I started to read the story I was intrigued. I read further and realized the car was found near me,(Oakdale). I now live in Modesto.

I read even further and was blown away. I know her husband, (John Hayes),owner of Hayes European, personally and used to work with him at a Volvo shop in Santa Cruz,(Valle European).

I will call John Monday and try to get more info,including the VIN or ask him or her to join our community.

Didn't Valle European used to be Valle Volvo? If so do you know Mike Saccone?
914bub
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 16 2015, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ May 16 2015, 03:05 PM) *

Rich

Didn't Valle European used to be Valle Volvo? If so do you know Mike Saccone?

Yes, It was Valle Volvo originally.It was down on Corral street in Santa Cruz and later moved to Soquel and became Valle European when Joe Valle started working on BMW and Benz's as well.
I have met mike only once, long ago but it's one of those "everybody I know knows him" type of things. A lot of my friends worked with him.

I worked for Joe Valle twice. Once in the 90's when Joe was still married to Karen and everything was still run "above board" and once after the divorce when everything was run into the ground.
balljoint
QUOTE(Valy @ May 16 2015, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 16 2015, 01:45 PM) *

Paint it gold.
White makes them go missing for a long time.

Yes.

Please paint it gold.

hands.gif
Jeffs9146
I spent many hours at the shop on Corral St in the late 70's and early 80's. Mike and I spent a bunch of time working on his Volvo ITA, ITB and GT3 race cars. Joe always let me work on my 914 after hours. That's where I learned to weld.

The good old days!! beerchug.gif
914bub
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 16 2015, 07:36 PM) *

I spent many hours at the shop on Corral St in the late 70's and early 80's. Mike and I spent a bunch of time working on his Volvo ITA, ITB and GT3 race cars. Joe always let me work on my 914 after hours. That's where I learned to weld.

The good old days!! beerchug.gif

That's super cool. I liked working for Joe but it was better when Karen was in charge. Yep,good old days indeed!
pete000
Is the Vin in the data base?
EdwardBlume
I hope this is indeed a happy ending. smile.gif
forrestkhaag
After my first 914 was jacked for theft in Tulsa in th e late 70's , I installed a four switch series in concert with the ignition circuit / if the four little toggles were not flipped in the proper series, the starter motor would crank but no spark.. Can be done with one switch hidden as well.

Remember: Thieves are a lazy bunch choosing to steal rather than work for things....... That type of individual will go to the next easy target rather than sit there until the car's owner returns from the batting cages.....
beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
it sat untouched, because its a 76 ,, lucky someone didn't slap an early vin on it and keep on driving it...
...Great 914 story...
Dave_Darling
I met them today at the swap meet. Nice couple!

--DD
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 17 2015, 10:47 AM) *

I met them today at the swap meet. Nice couple!

--DD

Yep, I told Michelle to check out this site. Perhaps she will...
ConeDodger
I can't believe no one has started to bring this thing full circle. We need to organize a group build to get it back to it's former glory... cheer.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 17 2015, 03:30 PM) *

I can't believe no one has started to bring this thing full circle. We need to organize a group build to get it back to it's former glory... cheer.gif

If I read correctly, the owners husband owns an auto restoration shop. He might not need help to restore the car.
Mike Bellis
I talked to her about a build party. If she buys the beer and pizza we could attack the car for her. Hopefully she will become a World member soon.
Mike Bellis
She said the interior looks like an animal got trapped inside and fought to get out.

She needs body panels and lucky for her Rich Bontempi was there to comfort her. He has everything she needs.

To top it off, she still has the key and never gave up on finding the car.
EdwardBlume
Make a list of pieces needed. I'll donate any spares I have. I'm also in on any build party. We can crank out an interior in short order.
914bub
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2015, 12:36 PM) *

If I read correctly, the owners husband owns an auto restoration shop. He might not need help to restore the car.

Her husband does more service than restoration but his partner who he owns the shop with was restoring a 911 last time I was by there.
Porschef
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2015, 03:36 PM) *

I know someone who just got a killer deal on a tan interior... happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.