Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back with another 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nemisus
Greetings 914 World

I know I wasn't active for long.... heck I think I have only posted 8 times since 2011. Anyhow, some of you might remember my my 1st 914 as a 1975 2.0 car that was given to me as a trade. I learned there was a lot of issues with that 75 including not having a 2.0. I believe it had a 1.7 VW Bus engine it...? I lost interest for one reason or another and ended up selling it to a local guy who wanted to restore it. Made decent money on it considering what I traded wasn't worth half of what I sold the Porsche for.

Here is the 75 when I sold it:

IPB Image

Anyhow, one thing I could never get out of mind was how enjoyable a 914 was to drive. There was always a thought in the back of my mind that I actually missed the car and wish I had kept it. My heart will always be with classic muscle... namely any Mustang from 65 to 70. However I do hold a special place just for Porsche's.

Fortune smiled on me just a few weekends ago. My wife and I was hosting a large "multi-family yard sell at where she works. Which happens to be adjacent to a body shop. While there my eyes caught a sad and lonely black 914 that had clearly been left there to rot. By chance one of the workers from the body shop stopped by to check out the sale. Turned out the 914 belonged to his son..... who grew up with my wife! The very next day I called this guy and threw out what I thought was reasonable offer given the condition of the car.

As of last night I am the proud owner of a 1974 (built 9/73) 914 2.0.

Car is complete and from what I can tell mostly stock. There was a list of things that was done to the engine from the owner prior to the owner who sold it to me.

New motor- Mahle Euro P's and C's, (not sure what P's and C's are) ported and polished 2.0 heads, new guides, seats, surfaced new factory camshaft, new lifters, new Melling high volume oil pump, new Sachs HD clutch. Also says the fuel injection was rebuilt and a 19mm master cylinder was added.

While the list sounds great, I am going to take it with a grain of salt as from the looks of this car... as it sits in my driveway... I have no way of telling how much of this is true?

I had to trailer the car home as it would not shift. The previous owner used the car very briefly for auto-cross and some how managed to disconnect the Shift stick from the shift linkage. He never took the time to see what the issue was and parked it leaving it to sit assuming he destroyed the transmission. 30 mins late I had that problem solve and she shifts perfectly fine now!

The car ran and drove, but after this morning I had a fuel line disintegrate on me. I replaced the line and now for some reason have no spark? It would appear the ignition coil stopped working..... The journey begins!

Anyhow, I aim to do a complete restoration or some type of custom build. When I say custom I more or less mean a GT clone of sorts. Nothing that will take away from the 914. At the moment I am just looking for something I can drive and work on as I go. There is some considerable rust in the shift linkage tunnel that will need to be addressed as well as on both truck hoods. The paint job that was done was poor at best. Which leaves me guessing at what color it was originally? Other than that the major areas of rust concern seem in good shape.

Here are a few picture of how she looks:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

While this is my second 914 I am very new to restoration. Any words of wisdom and advice that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Nemi
rjames
Congrats on the car. Words of advice: Don't start it up again until you've replaced all the fuel lines.
mgp4591
Welcome back! I agree with the fuel line replacement- I'm not sure if you're aware of the rest of the "usual suspects" associated with 914 ownership but I'm sure others will pipe in with lots of useful advice any time now. Looks like a good project- let us know what and when you're next move is and you'll have all the help you need right here!
welcome.png
Nemisus
QUOTE(rjames @ May 16 2015, 10:29 PM) *

Congrats on the car. Words of advice: Don't start it up again until you've replaced all the fuel lines.

Good advice! Just out of curiosity, which lines? ALL going from the tank... or just the ones from the fuel pump to the engine. It looks like a few have already been replaced. I'm with you though... replacing them all just makes sense.

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 16 2015, 10:37 PM) *

Welcome back! I agree with the fuel line replacement- I'm not sure if you're aware of the rest of the "usual suspects" associated with 914 ownership but I'm sure others will pipe in with lots of useful advice any time now. Looks like a good project- let us know what and when you're next move is and you'll have all the help you need right here!
welcome.png

Looking forward to what I learn along the way. Thanks for the welcome guys!
Larmo63
welcome.png
76-914
The filter & lines under the tank, in the tunnel, in the engine bay and the short ones on your injectors. Be sure to use either Gates or Goodyear FI hose designed for E Gas variants. The new gas will eat up your std FI hose relatively quickly. When you tune remember to set the valves, timing and dwell "dead on". Be precise with your measurements when dealing with Porsche and good luck.
Nemisus
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 16 2015, 11:30 PM) *

welcome.png

Thank you good sir!

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 17 2015, 06:32 AM) *

The filter & lines under the tank, in the tunnel, in the engine bay and the short ones on your injectors. Be sure to use either Gates or Goodyear FI hose designed for E Gas variants. The new gas will eat up your std FI hose relatively quickly. When you tune remember to set the valves, timing and dwell "dead on". Be precise with your measurements when dealing with Porsche and good luck.

Wow! So much to learn and it looks like that running and driving project might not be within reach as I am not sure how quickly I'll be able to replace all those lines.

Any suggestions on a proper repair manual I should be seeking? I see that Haynes makes one.

Right now I'm looking at why I suddenly lost spark....? I do believe the 41 year old ignition coil is the culprit. I have power to it, but nothing going out of it to the Distributor cap.

Cheers and thanks again for the feedback

Nemi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.