Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alignment of Hood, Headlight and Eyebrows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Hello,
My car is a 74, has had no body damage and appears very straight. The only problem is uneven gaps in the headlight area. Has anyone come up with a logical sequence of alignment of the three components mentioned in the thread title? I have gone at this three times now and always end up with unsatisfactory results.
Thanks,
Jack
76-914
I set the hood first and lights last. Have you tried to loosen the brackets that hold the eyebrow. Are the conical rubber tit's worn? Is your hood seal new?
jack20
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 17 2015, 07:03 AM) *

I set the hood first and lights last. Have you tried to loosen the brackets that hold the eyebrow. Are the conical rubber tit's worn? Is your hood seal new?

I didn't know that the eyebrows had moveable brackets. The rubber grommets are either new or in great condition. Hood seal is also in great condition.
I'll start with the hood...again. This is my third try at this. The hood seems to want to return to its previous position. I've loosened the bracket on both sides of the headlight assembly. Where are theyebrow brackets?

Thanks for the response.
Jack
toolguy
There are no 'eyebrow' brackets, only the rubber mounts. . . therefore the location of the 'brows are the fixed item for the most part short of bending the 'brow tabs themselves. . put them in place first.
Once the 'brows are in place, adjust the hood to get even gaps on all sides. . then the headlight pivots can be moved to align the headlight doors to have even gaps. . This isn't a 'one time try' item. . you'll find you have to repeat the process to end up with even gaps on all sides. . just takes time and patience. .

Sometimes helps to only loosen one side of the hood at a time when trying to set the side gaps. . hard to explain.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(toolguy @ May 17 2015, 11:23 AM) *

There are no 'eyebrow' brackets, only the rubber mounts. . . therefore the location of the 'brows are the fixed item for the most part short of bending the 'brow tabs themselves. . put them in place first.
Once the 'brows are in place, adjust the hood to get even gaps on all sides. . then the headlight pivots can be moved to align the headlight doors to have even gaps. . This isn't a 'one time try' item. . you'll find you have to repeat the process to end up with even gaps on all sides. . just takes time and patience. .

Sometimes helps to only loosen one side of the hood at a time when trying to set the side gaps. . hard to explain.

agree.gif
might want to consider loosening the hood latch as well, possibly removing it altogether during the alignment process. Might also consider removing the springs so you can open & close @ your leisure (you can use a broom stick to prop the hood open). Having another person helps a lot. Still, lots of trial & error.
r_towle
Hood first, check gaps at fender and cowl...get those the way you want them

Everything else moves and can be adjusted to match the hood.
altitude411
agree.gif You see so many w/ hoods that aren't adjusted correctly. That gap above the front bumper top.... barf.gif
I replaced the rubber grommets on the eyebrows with small machine screws and nuts to give them adjustability. Patience locust.gif. Patience. beer3.gif
pilothyer
An article here on The World by Sir Andy may help you when trying to get the head lights lined up: http://www.914world.com/specs/headlight_adjustment.php
mepstein
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 17 2015, 12:51 PM) *

agree.gif You see so many w/ hoods that aren't adjusted correctly. That gap above the front bumper top.... barf.gif
I replaced the rubber grommets on the eyebrows with small machine screws and nuts to give them adjustability. Patience locust.gif. Patience. beer3.gif

It's up to you but the rubber grommets are there for a reason.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2015, 01:02 PM) *

It's up to you but the rubber grommets are there for a reason.

agree.gif
If you ever get your fingers in between the eyebrow and the housing when the headlight goes to autoclose you will be missing fingers...
altitude411
Are your kidding me? idea.gif ... maybe I should remove the doors & the trunk lids so I don't slam my fingers in them as well?

WTF.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 17 2015, 10:03 AM) *

Wait, I missed this.
You wear conical rubber tits when adjusting the hood?
RARE 6
Just about to wrap up reassembly of my -6 after a panels off repaint. Only exterior thing left is the eyebrows. Anyone know a source for the conical rubber tits? I need a full set for each side. After my last respray in 1979 the brows were mounted with screws and nuts and I want to go back to original.
altitude411
http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Eyebrow-grom...of-6-914EYE.htm

better safe than sorry... you might get your fingers cut off. av-943.gif lol-2.gif
PanelBilly
Keep in mind that you can alter the arch of the hood to make it longer and shorter. A little pressure makes a big difference
RARE 6
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 17 2015, 09:13 PM) *

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Eyebrow-grom...of-6-914EYE.htm

better safe than sorry... you might get your fingers cut off. av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Thanks, we'll have to compare -6s some day.
mbseto
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 17 2015, 04:17 PM) *

Are your kidding me? idea.gif ... maybe I should remove the doors & the trunk lids so I don't slam my fingers in them as well?

WTF.gif

A lot of guys here have kids in the garage. You are right next to the doors and trunk lids when they open and close, and they are manual, so it's easier to keep little fingers out of the way. Headlights can close while you are not near them. A little safety margin is not a bad idea.
altitude411
unsure.gif Hey guy's I appreciate the concern... this is a car we're talking about and not the ball pit at a Chucky Cheese. Common sense man. shades.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 18 2015, 07:11 AM) *

unsure.gif Hey guy's I appreciate the concern... this is a car we're talking about and not the ball pit at a Chucky Cheese. Common sense man. shades.gif

Turn the knob on the headlight motor a few turns and watch what happens - even with the key off. It cycles the motor and your hand is right there. People that don't know about that can get mangled.
altitude411
headbang.gif screwy.gif Ok, enough. Please, I've owned my car for 35+ years... I know all about how the headlights work. How about I put a huge sign on the front bumper of the car that warns small children and old ladies how dangerous the headlights are? Would that make you happy? Get off my six (so to speak) KMA.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102086
EdwardBlume
The head lights adjust more than you think. Like others, I line up the gaps on the hood and spend the rest of the time adjusting the headlights and then the valence.

On the ABM, I had to adjust the latch too. Something changed when all the parts were zinc coated...

Little stuff makes it a pain to line up.
jack20
As always, you have provided great information...and a few laughs biggrin.gif
I was able to make a big improvement. Not perfect...yet, but much better.
Thanks!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 18 2015, 08:08 AM) *

headbang.gif screwy.gif Ok, enough. Please, I've owned my car for 35+ years... I know all about how the headlights work. How about I put a huge sign on the front bumper of the car that warns small children and old ladies how dangerous the headlights are? Would that make you happy? Get off my six (so to speak) KMA.gif

Sorry - I was trying to be helpful. It won't happen again.
ctc911ctc
I am working this problem right now - I have EVERYTHING lined up perfectly with the exception of the LEFT (when facing forward) eye-brow.

I have new nipples (thank you 914rubber), the part fits perfectly -however- the headlight cover hits the innermost corner of the eyebrow.

I have tried to:
- adjust the headlight mounting via the inner/outer hex-bolts
- move, in a very small way, the headlight covers (perhaps a mil)
- bending the mounting bracket to try and move the eye-brow forward.

There was never any damage to the front of the car. None of the assemblies were rebuilt due to rust which may have moved the mount points, etc.. This is a real puzzle?????

Will add pictures later today.

Has anyone had this perplexing experience?

CTC911CTC

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.