Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: drilling holes in hood hinges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
I have seen a few hood hinges with holes drilled in them. I'm not sure if this is a cosmetic/decorative thing or for weight savings. For those of you that have performed this has it effected the structural integrity? I just think it looks cool. Here are some photos I found of someone else's hinges
Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Basically bling that's emulating lightening that might be useful for racing. It shouldn't affect the strength to any extent.

If you like the look, get out your hole saws!
brant
I chose to eliminate my hinges altogether for weight reasons.

1835 lbs and a metal car
r_towle
We did some calculations of hole drilling for lightening of a robot when we needed to make weight for a competition.....it's really a lot of holes to lose any measurable amount of weight.....not worth it.

But for the looks, go for it.
Mueller
If you look at the holes you will notice they are not just drilled out...they used a dimple die to add a slight "lip" , the bent edges allow it to get some strength/stiffness back.
Jeff Hail
Looks like a step drill with all the burrs. The steps will chamfer the edges a bit like that.

screenguy914
Not much weight savings, but racy.
Click to view attachment

Exact weight reduction in the last pic of the gallery:
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/DrilledHingeHome.htm

Sherwood
Krieger
I did my fronts a few years back. I have had no issues. I have no hood springs though.
campbellcj
I thought about doing it on 914R but didn't bother - looks super cool but a lot of work for negligible weight and something hidden from view 99.9% of the time.

If anyone has a set they'd like to sell me though...
gms
QUOTE(brant @ May 17 2015, 10:35 AM) *

I chose to eliminate my hinges altogether for weight reasons.

1835 lbs and a metal car

agree.gif
if you are racing and it is weight savings you are after pull the whole hinge assembly off. The drilled out brackets do look racy for the street car
campbellcj
No hinges would be a huge PITA for me - fuel filler is under there and have to fuel several times a day with no helpers. I can picture the GT f/g lid flying away in the Willow Springs gusts.
jkb944t
QUOTE(Harpo @ May 17 2015, 05:18 AM) *

I have seen a few hood hinges with holes drilled in them. I'm not sure if this is a cosmetic/decorative thing or for weight savings. For those of you that have performed this has it effected the structural integrity? I just think it looks cool. Here are some photos I found of someone else's hinges
Click to view attachment

I did it for the cool look. As others have pointed out the weight savings would be negligible. It wasn't too hard to drill them and I am hoping that once I am done with my car it will add to the cool look of my 914 GT.

Jeff B
Harpo
I finally finished my front hinges. I have some deburring & sandblasting before paint
Click to view attachment
brant
QUOTE(Harpo @ May 26 2015, 05:55 PM) *

I finally finished my front hinges. I have some deburring & sandblasting before paint

just keep going

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.