Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearren
I just got a new car, and was wondering what is the best coating to put on the underside of the car to prevent any corrosion?
914GT
I wouldn't put anything on it. It's more likely to trap moisture or to block weep holes needed for proper drainage. I think the best thing to prevent corrosion is to flush the underside with a hose, and rinse out the rocker panels, inside front fenders, etc.
jim912928
congrats...and post pictures!
riverman
A neutron force field, like the USS Enterprise has. It will repel all forms of moisture and salt and it might, just might, prevent your new car from rusting. cool.gif

Congratulations. What ever you do, take good care of your new car. My car, when I bought it, had an oil/tar undercoating on it over top of an epoxy primer and it didn't do squat. I think I'm going to try POR-15 in all the critical areas as part of my restoration. Lots of guys on this forum recommend it.
Andyrew
If your going to put something on it.. Por15 would be the choice...

It would stop what rust you have on it, and prevent any more rust from accumulating.
Lou W
Andyrew   Posted on Feb 20 2005, 08:21 PM If your going to put something on it.. Por15 would be the choice...

It would stop what rust you have on it, and prevent any more rust from accumulating.

I think you need to treat the rust first with an acid wash such as Metal Prep, before using Por 15 smile.gif
Andyrew
ya... but you would do that to anything you would put as a coating anyways...

Anyways, ya, you need to treat it first... clean it up. fix any rust, bla bla bla bla, then por15 it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.