Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring seat heaters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
keely444
I needed some help tapping in to a switched power source for some seat heaters.
I have a headed set up and no heat so I thought this would be a good option.
it requires 10 amps for each seat. I have only had the 914 for a week and don't know my way around the electrical yet. The car is a 74 2.0 .I would like to use a piggyback connector at the fuse box. I read that red with a white stripe is switched power.
toolguy
20 amps is a lot to suck through the factory main wiring in addition to what would be used with headlights, fog lights, stop lights, tail lights, radio, wiper, heater blower, etc. . You need to figure out the maximum amp usage and have a main power lead capable of carrying that current safely. . .probably a lot simpler to run a separate lead for the seats heaters. .
jim_hoyland
I have a hard time seeing 20 amps; I've installed heated seats and run them from the relay board in the engine compartment. Haven't had a problem since installed, voltmeter hardly moves when both seats are on.

Here's how I wired them:
1. First, I did not have rear window defrost. So I wired the seat heater controller just like the rear window defrost circuit.

2. Mounted a defrost switch into the dash. It gets switched power from fuse panel and is used to energize the Defrost Relay on the rear relay board. I ran a 16au wire from the switch to the relay board.

3. The front of the relay board has two round pins for the defrost circuit; one will be for your wire from the dash ( the trigger wire), the other will be for 12v going to the seat heater controller. You will have your seat heaters on a fused circuit as well. See a relay board diagram for details

4. Ground the seat heatercontroller to chassis and you should be good to go.

Lastly, there is a nifty defrost harness that fits snugly over the two pins on the relay board. I bought one on-line.

Good luck,
keely444
Thanks for the suggestions Guys.This will be helpful.
2ma2
I would go to auto zone and buy a 30 amp relay and an accessory fuse block run the relay with the switched power to its input then run a heavy wire to a few of the fuse terminals. Use 2 of the fuses at 10 amps for the heaters and any other accessories can be run off the same fuse box. You might need more than one relay if you add a lot of accesories
flylarry
I agree with Jim, there is a spot on the relay board for a relay, fuse holder and 2 pins for rear defrost you can use. Maybe consider an up-graded alternator.

beer.gif
boxsterfan
How do people wire in Camp914's kit?

http://www.camp914.com/products.html

76-914
I've got s set of those butt warmers but I've got a 175amp alt. I'm afraid of taxing a stock set up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.