Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions About 912E Cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
I have a track on a clean 912E. I know these cars are bastards, but what is the market and current opinion on worth and collectibility?

Thanks…!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 18 2015, 10:39 AM) *

I have a track on a clean 912E. I know these cars are bastards, but what is the market and current opinion on worth and collectibility?

Thanks…!

What year model ?
r_towle
personally, I think its the better motor for the car, better low end torque.

I think backdating the body would be my choice...

rich
montoya 73 2.0
The 2 that I found on The Samba shows 20k'ish with low miles (1 @85k miles).

The Samba 912E search

they are down your way too.
Larmo63
Weren't they all '76s?
billh1963
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 18 2015, 02:08 PM) *

Weren't they all '76s?

Yes...the 912E is a one year only (1976)
rosenfe
i have one .they are more rust resistant,good power with the 2.0l engine.they handle well and can be a problem in california with smog,though i passed .depends on your smog laws.they originally came with thermal reactors and air pumps as part of smog system.most people remove reactors and disconnect air pump.of course not me.most smog guys dont know what thermal reactors even look like.remember they were only made for one year.most body parts are 911 parts,but some are specific to the 912,such as throttle and clutch cable and various other parts.there is a forum for the 912e on 912bbs,and look down for the 912e forum.

i believe they will continue to slowly increase in price.there are less than 1500 left out there.
McMark
agree.gif SMOG is a PITA. I would never get one if I had to SMOG it.

They are pretty heavy, so IMHO performance isn't that great compared to what we're used to. Especially with the stock engine.

BUT, collectability is pretty good, but I really don't see them climbing to any real value. If you could get some enjoyment out of it, buy it and have fun. If you can get a good deal, just flip it and take the profit to your 914. But don't buy it and restore it, or fix it up. You'll most likely end upside down pretty quick.
Mikey914
Got one. with the sunroof. Low miles all records. only 2100 made, only 500 with sunroof.

Very dependable daily driver, most have very high miles because of this. The issue is the thermal reactors. To meet EPA they added 2 cans of ceramic material that heats up and burns off the unburnt fuel. Unfortunately, in an air cooled car they keep baking the oil in the case after you shut down. Most cars have had these yanked, so the emissions can be an issue. I can get mine to pass without, at least last time it did. I'll let you know this next round.
rosenfe
i love mine,poor mans 911.i used a local porsche shop to help me get smog done.there are counties in california that only require an inital smog cerificate and then no further tests required,but you need a" residency " there.the trans is overbuilt and engines can be durable.

if you like, it buy it,if your buying to make money then i would be cautious.

they are scarce.
Mikey914
The money will probably be there in the long term. You saw how long it's taken 914's to appreciate. At least it's a "real Porsche".
rosenfe
you cant beat the classic 911 body,its timeless.
76912E
If you have any faith in Hagerty, then:

Hagerty Evaluation

Fran
arkitect
Check out this picture closely taken recently at the Hoffbrau parts event, right after the yellow is a 912 . Talked with the owner or son of the owner and they were looking to sell. He mentioned 21k...who knows what he bought it for, said it had a 2 liter in it, the same as a 914. Is that correct?

Dave

Click to view attachment

Ignore the date on the pict, incorrect.
matthepcat

Seems correct for inflated Bay Area Porsche pricing.

QUOTE(arkitect @ May 19 2015, 06:30 PM) *

Check out this picture closely taken recently at the Hoffbrau parts event, right after the yellow is a 912 . Talked with the owner or son of the owner and they were looking to sell. He mentioned 21k...who knows what he bought it for, said it had a 2 liter in it, the same as a 914. Is that correct?

Dave

Click to view attachment

Ignore the date on the pict, incorrect.

Jake Raby
I own two, I have owned over 15 of them.

Like 914s today these cars are finally appreciating. I have leads on 2-3 more that I am buying to hold.

You can't go wrong, one of the best balanced tail draggers of all time. They are simple, fun to drive and different.

I turned down 40K for my white # 985 a few weeks ago. Its a sunroof/ AC/ tinted window car.

I predict that the new 4 cylinder 911s (turbo) will remind people that the 912E was the last 4 cylinder 911 bodied vehicle that was available. That will drive prices a bit.

Aric on the 912 registry has located 1350 of them still in existence of the 2099 built.
Dave_Darling
I remember the demise of #1. sad.gif A younger guy out east bought it, and took it to his mechanic for a good going-over. The mechanic took it for a test drive and wrapped it around a tree.

--DD
Jake Raby
The first car sold was #11 and it's still alive. I know the owner and he has inquired about my engine for it. The last one#2099 is Raby powered.
Dave_Darling
#1 was not sold, it was given to (I think?) an employee.

...Unless the young man concerned was pulling our legs about exactly what he found...

--DD
Jake Raby
Things production wise started with #11.
rush
I have had a couple, brother in law now has one and sold the other. For 'normal' life driving they are my favorite combination, handling,brakes, style, mpg, and...a back seat. The wife and dog and a $200 costco run all fit; something most sport types won't. Collectable yes as all the air powered Pcars but I think you buy it to drive not appreciate like a '78-'98 911. Still see a couple of sales in the teens each year.
For me the fun is a bit of wrench time but believe the pure driver would have Rabys FI system and be able to give the keys to grandma and trouble free.
The only part that is rare is the trans with vw shaft and a R&P one yr only that gets the T4 to work.
Insurance is nice as you get to see your agent jerk at the word Porsche and then calm as you point out the 80 hp 4 banger for the '76.
This 914world group of T4 motor drivers is making my first engine rebuild a pleasure.
The only other odd part is no right side mirror, but there is after mkt co that makes a nice chrome match if you want orig appearance
euro911
Lawrence, is the car currently registered in CA (and have a valid smog cert) ?

That's the only way I'd even consider it ...
forrestkhaag
I've owned two of these classics and 76 was the only year they were produced - that should tell us all something but my two sunroof versions were very reliable if not hideously underpowered. Weak in the power arena compared to its contemporary 911 is one thing but the 912 E insures like a VW so... in my other life.... as a dead broke working stiff, the 912E got me closer to the 356 and 911's etc to follow. These are good investments if bought right (like everything). If you find one now, buy it.
Bulldog9
I've got #770, and happy to have it. Almost passed on it when I found it due to being the 911 with a VW motor, but a few minutes of web searching I discovered it is likely the best of the mid year N/A 911's, at least best for me. Light weight, better balanced than the 911, galvanized bodies (1st year) Type 4 motor is easy to service, maintain and rebuild, decent fuel mileage.

As others mentioned, is basically a 76 911S with a modified 2.0 914 Motor with different fuel injection and Thermal reactors. I'm in the final stages of a total gut and rebuild, and other than a few things beyond the engine and trans gearing, the car is a low content barebones 76 911s.

The other Main differences I have found are:
- Different ratios in Transmission, with smaller input shaft and strange 914/911 clutch/throwout bearing setup.
- Stock brakes are solid disks front and rear
- No Stock fog lights or wiring
- Skinny tires/Rims
- Different shock/strut inserts
- Smaller front and no rear sway bar
- Fixed rear windows (pop out was an aftermarket add on)
- No passenger side mirror

As far as value, according to Haggerty, the value has tripled in the last 3 years, which helps to keep SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) off my back cheer.gif drooley.gif The 912E will likely never pull the same price as a 76 911, but is increasing in price, and as others have said, the upcoming release of 4cyl Porsches may remind others that there was once a 4cyl 911 called the 912. My guess is that despite its limited number, due to the Type 4, the 912E will always be the low priced option. But I don't buy cars for the 'collectability' I buy what I love and keep it. I've never lost money, but neither can I retire on that 'collectible.'

I will be sending back to Scotty B for the headliner, windscreens and a few other things I don't have the skill to do. You can check out the #770 thread to see my bumbling over the last few years.

I'm in the military so get bounced around every 3-4 years, but have registered the car as an antique in my home of record state, so the car will never see another inspection station. Is this not an option for all states? I know CA is a lost cause, but what about the rest?
naro914
There's a guy here in Charlotte with 2, both pristine and perfect. He drives them a decent amount...
yes, they are going up in value as all air cooled Porsches are. and there is a very loyal following to these cars....nice unmolested ones will command a good premium.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ May 22 2015, 09:24 AM) *

I've got #770, and happy to have it. Almost passed on it when I found it due to being the 911 with a VW motor, but a few minutes of web searching I discovered it is likely the best of the mid year N/A 911's, at least best for me. Light weight, better balanced than the 911, galvanized bodies (1st year) Type 4 motor is easy to service, maintain and rebuild, decent fuel mileage.

As others mentioned, is basically a 76 911S with a modified 2.0 914 Motor with different fuel injection and Thermal reactors. I'm in the final stages of a total gut and rebuild, and other than a few things beyond the engine and trans gearing, the car is a low content barebones 76 911s.

The other Main differences I have found are:
- Different ratios in Transmission, with smaller input shaft and strange 914/911 clutch/throwout bearing setup.
- Stock brakes are solid disks front and rear
- No Stock fog lights or wiring
- Skinny tires/Rims
- Different shock/strut inserts
- Smaller front and no rear sway bar
- Fixed rear windows (pop out was an aftermarket add on)
- No passenger side mirror

As far as value, according to Haggerty, the value has tripled in the last 3 years, which helps to keep SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) off my back cheer.gif drooley.gif The 912E will likely never pull the same price as a 76 911, but is increasing in price, and as others have said, the upcoming release of 4cyl Porsches may remind others that there was once a 4cyl 911 called the 912. My guess is that despite its limited number, due to the Type 4, the 912E will always be the low priced option. But I don't buy cars for the 'collectability' I buy what I love and keep it. I've never lost money, but neither can I retire on that 'collectible.'

I will be sending back to Scotty B for the headliner, windscreens and a few other things I don't have the skill to do. You can check out the #770 thread to see my bumbling over the last few years.

I'm in the military so get bounced around every 3-4 years, but have registered the car as an antique in my home of record state, so the car will never see another inspection station. Is this not an option for all states? I know CA is a lost cause, but what about the rest?

PA does a $75 one time fee for reg and no inspection for antique. It makes our cars very economical to own and easy to have more than 1. Non op fee doesn't exist either.
euro911
Steve, I believe active service personnel don't need to register their out-of-state vehicles in CA if they are 'temporarily' stationed here. I bought a trailer from a guy who had been stationed at Ft. MacArthur for a couple of years, but was transferring to Kitsap in Washington. His truck was registered in his home state, Kentucky, the trailer still had title and plates from where he bought it - Texas.

Even regular 912s ('65~'69) were looked down on by the 911 guys back when. With 95HP flat-4 (356) motors, they were lighter, more nimble in the corners and a little more fuel efficient - what's not to like about them confused24.gif - oh yeah, the 911 was a couple grand more (and at the time a couple grand was a lot of money) laugh.gif
Bulldog9
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 22 2015, 02:53 PM) *

Steve, I believe active service personnel don't need to register their out-of-state vehicles in CA if they are 'temporarily' stationed here. I bought a trailer from a guy who had been stationed at Ft. MacArthur for a couple of years, but was transferring to Kitsap in Washington. His truck was registered in his home state, Kentucky, the trailer still had title and plates from where he bought it - Texas.

Even regular 912s ('65~'69) were looked down on by the 911 guys back when. With 95HP flat-4 (356) motors, they were lighter, more nimble in the corners and a little more fuel efficient - what's not to like about them confused24.gif - oh yeah, the 911 was a couple grand more (and at the time a couple grand was a lot of money) laugh.gif

Yeah, all my cars are registered in my Military home of record, is a great benefit, though a hassle sometimes for new purchases, adds 2 weeks to the registration process. Problem is when you retire, you have to register in the state you settle. In Tennessee, the Antique plate is a ONE TIME deal, don't need to renew, so no matter where I land, it will be good. I have all my old stuff registered as antiques, makes live much simpler ;-)

I tend to look down on people who look down on people so its all good with me ;-) Heck, my collection with the exception of the M3 is all a bunch of misfits...... I mean come on.... a 1993 Saab N/A with automatic? who wants one of those? lol, but my wife loves it and I love the Classic Saab 900. But they are mine and I love them.

Love what you ride/drive and drive what you love.....
oldschool
Click to view attachment MY 68
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.