Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: re chrome of front/rear bumpers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914runnow
Our last place here in colorado has closed up shop for chroming of bumps..
Salt lake Chrome quoted 400 to 425 per piece....and 35 to 40 for shipping..

any suggestions or ideas??
Thanx All
GermermanCarGuy
I'll be de-rusting mine, then rhino line them and the rockers. For AutoX, it'll be fine. On the other 914, I'm still undecided confused24.gif (still a ways off before I have to make up my mind on that build). Sure would like to chrome those but don't want to spend an arm and leg.

Rob
sb914
I say that's a great price if they do a good job.i just paid $1800.00 tits welded and had a little rust but they look amazing.the guy duz work for chip foose and other high end builds
Kansas 914
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 18 2015, 02:53 PM) *

Our last place here in colorado has closed up shop for chroming of bumps..
Salt lake Chrome quoted 400 to 425 per piece....and 35 to 40 for shipping..

any suggestions or ideas??
Thanx All

I had some done by Ogden Chrome (Utah). They did a great job and arrange shipping in both directions.

http://www.ogdenchrome.com
ConeDodger
I believe my new GT front bumper was done by Ogden Chrome. You'd have to ask Original Customs as I had them build it... Wasn't cheap but this is the nicest bumper I have seen ever!
gandalf_025
I just ordered the Polished Stainless Bumpers from Harrington Group.
1710.00 for the pair, delivered. I have the tracking info for DHL and am expecting them within a week.
Last update said they arrived in Cincinnati from Vietnam.

I'll post pictures when they arrive if anyone is interested.
mepstein
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 18 2015, 07:15 PM) *

I just ordered the Polished Stainless Bumpers from Harrington Group.
1710.00 for the pair, delivered. I have the tracking info for DHL and am expecting them within a week.
Last update said they arrived in Cincinnati from Vietnam.

I'll post pictures when they arrive if anyone is interested.

Yes. Please keep us up to date with review and pics.
I think they are a great choice.
Tom_T
For a top level resto/show car - Pick a shop that does top quality work for the Hot-rod & show car crowd & knows how to strip/clean/prep properly & lay down as many copper layers + buffed to get baby's bum smooth 1st, & only then do the nickel & chrome layers to finish for true triple-chrome plating.

A few are listed/ads in Panorama, Excellence, & the Hemmings mags & it sounds like all will be out of state with shipping for you.

If the SLC one is good & you need to go there (PMB Eric Shea is there for his brake work & parts BTW), then you could combine trips & save shipping + save the worries of in transit damage to them by the shipping company.

If it's a DD, I'd go with the Stainless ones. I know they're available from a UK group at evil-bay & their online website (they have them for many Brit & Euro classics, but I can't recall their name right now - half-zymers don'tcha know!), from AA, & HPH/Rich Bontempi - & they're all apparently sourced from the same plant in Vietnam. They look pretty exact except for a barely perceptable shorter "return" edge at the bumper ends at the body inset. They should never rust & buff out any road wear.

... PS .... well there ya go from Gandolf as I was typing! Also Steve down in San Diego did a comparo of them on one of his 914s a couple of years ago with pix aplenty!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
frankiec@outrageous.net
Unless you do triple chrome plating (Copper, Nickel and Chrome) don't even bother and the proper prep is essential. I believe the only states that allow triple plating are Nevada and Texas but I'm not sure on that. Otherwise the chrome will flake and bubble off.
rangrbob
Might want to look into Paul's. When I find another early front bumper for my car, I was thinking of giving them a shot.

http://www.paulschrome.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.