Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock muffler hanger/boomerang
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
I am hitting a mental roadblock trying to visualize how this boomerang thingie is supposed to work in a 914-6 application with a 911-ish sausage type muffler. I haven't had a stock 2.0 or -6 around to look at in quite some time.

Obviously it bolts up to the tranny end plate/cover and hangs down, but the two 'arms' do not seem to have anything to grab on the muffler.

Sorry to be so dense, but what I am missing here?
Qarl
If it's like the 4 cylinder cars, doesn't it hook connect to on of the bolts where the header/heat exchenager and the muffler are joined?

Regards,

Karl
Qarl
see the top here...
Porsche Rescue
As Karl says, bolt goes through muffler flange, header/exchanger flange and bracket. His picture looks like a 1.7 bracket (not sure) which is a bit longer and slimmer. The 2.0 bracket should line up perfectly on a six but you may need to file the bolt slots a bit.
MarkV
You looking for this?
campbellcj
I gotcha...thanks dudes! Somehow I was thinking it hooked to the muffler itself (farther up) as opposed to the flange area.

Hopefully it will work OK with my Bursch 914-6 headers. I think so, cuz they are designed for use with a stock-compatible muffler. We'll find out Saturday - I'm gonna pull off the megaphones and try out the Dansk SS 2-in/2-out sport muffler. It should be a "little" more cop-friendly for a weekend canyon drive happy11.gif
maf914
Actually Karl's photo looks like a 75 2.0L. The single pipe from each exchanger is the give-away. Plus I think that is what he indicates on his project web site. biggrin.gif

Mike
Lawrence
Chris,

Where did you order your Bursch headers from? 1 5/8", I assume?

-Rusty
campbellcj
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 6 2003, 12:58 PM)
Chris,

Where did you order your Bursch headers from? 1 5/8", I assume?

-Rusty

Rusty - I got them from GPR because they can get better prices than just about anybody (they push volume). I was leaning towards 1 1/2" but they are special-order so I went with 1 5/8" In prior posts and other discussions, nobody seemed to think there would be much difference either way (only a dyno would tell for sure). GPR shipped them direct to JetHot for me, and then JetHot shipped 'em to my office...

They came out nice. I need to take some updated pics of the car.
ChrisReale
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 6 2003, 02:25 PM)
[. I need to take some updated pics of the car.

Now your catching on...I wanna see pics! boldblue.gif
campbellcj
Argh...I couldn't get the AA repro boomerang to fit. I don't think it's the part though - something may be askew on my car. The headers are lined up perfectly cuz the muffler bolted up with zero tension/offset. But when the boomerang is mounted on the trans studs, the muffler doesn't line up with it.

I might have time to fiddle with it some more tomorrow. Perhaps loosening the trans mounts would allow everything to line up.

The Dansk "RSR" sport muffler looks and sounds nice though. Quite loud, as I expected, but not unpleasant or boomy. I will probably cut off the pipes though; they are very long. I wonder if this would screw up the tuning or sound? (I did it before on an AJ-USA sport muffler and didn't notice any ill effects.)
Qarl
Can you post a pic of your "RSR" muffler from Dansk?

Keep us posted on the muffler mount as well.

Regards,
Porsche Rescue
If the header flanges and the muffler flanges line up there is not a problem with your engine/car. The trans mounts won't change anything. Since the exhaust pieces line up, the problem has to be with the bracket. Are you sure you have it attached to the correct studs on the tranny? If so, I think you have a 1.7/1.8 or late (75-6) 2.0 bracket. The bracket you want is from a 73-74 2.0. It should look like the one posted above by Mark, not the longer one posted by Karl.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Jun 7 2003, 08:28 PM)
Since the exhaust pieces line up, the problem has to be with the bracket.

yes, i agree with that. the bracket should AT LEAST come very close to one of the studs/screws. if you're far off, you got the wrong bracket ...

Andy
Qarl
Yes, mine is a 1.8L.

I was just posting it for reference.

Regards,
campbellcj
Yeah, the bracket was fairly close on one end and maybe 1/2" or so "off" on the other end.

As mentioned in another thread, this is a repro bracket but I doubt it could be that seriously off from the stock part ??? I'm sure it can be made to work; I can redrill or cut the bracket if all else fails.
campbellcj
Karl, I think I forgot to take a pic of the muffler before installing it. Sooner or later I'll shoot a bunch of updated pics of the car...

It is a 2-in/2-out sport muffler in stainless. It was very spendy but the build quality and sound seem nice, so far. I got it from Chuck Moreland (Elephant Racing) but it is also sold by a few other vendors.
rhodyguy
what is the measurement between the 2 inside bolt holes on the muffler?

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.