Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weber 44's with a 1700
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
broomhandle
I have a 1.7 and will be running weber 44's. I am assuming they will run too rich. I was thinking jetting, but any ideas?

the motor is apart right now, any ideas of slight mods to get some HP and so these 44's can run correctly.

also, I have seen a few people who have cables for linkage which is much better. anybody making these brackets?

my 914 has been sitting for 7 years... its time to get it going!!!!!

any help or insight would be great. smile.gif
pilothyer
Check to see what size venturis you have in them, you can change them to be more suitable for the 1.7 You can get sizes from 28mm up to 36mm for the 44IDF
r3dplanet
I have some experience with this.

I tried to get a pair of Weber 44 carbs to work on what I thought was a 1.7 only to discover later that the displacement was 1911cc. What made it sort of work were 28mm chokes bought here: http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/weberventuri.asp
(part #75107.280).

The jetting I used wouldn't be appropriate for the 1.7 so you'll have to lean them way down by trial and error or perhaps someone else will chime in with a workable jetting combo. In my modest opinion, if you don't have or don't want an A/F meter, you'll never get it dialed in correctly. The tiniest change has a large impact on your fuel ratios.

Eventually I bought a lovely pair of Dellorto DRLA 36 carbs. You might consider selling off your Weber 44s and just buying a more suitable setup. My expensive mistake was buying a bunch of unnecessary jetting parts and tuning the Webers with an A/F meter over a long period only to never get them quite right. Having spent all that initial money, I ended up spending more than what was necessary by buying the Dellortos plus all new jets and whatnot for the new setup.

The only upside is that I became skilled at tuning Weber carbs.

The linkage I use is the bellcrank linkage sold my McMark here: http://www.originalcustoms.com/store/product.php?productid=6

It's fantastic.

-marcus

broomhandle
I think for now. I have the 44's. I think stock it has 36 venturis? It's a cheap test to run smaller. So 34? 32?

My 1.7 is down to the core. I was thinking to split it. Would there be any crank/cam I can install to benefit the 44's? More power to the wheels.

I was planing on keeping stock pistons and heads.

I'm trying to not dump a lot of money into the motor....
r3dplanet
For a 1.7 liter I wouldn't bother with anything other than 28mm venturis like in the link that I posted.

The benefit of a stock 1.7 liter engine is that it gets super mileage and has a long service life. To enhance that you might consider getting much smaller carburetors to suit.

You can certainly build up a 1.7 to be faster but you absolutely have to be prepared to shell out. The facts are that the Type-4 is very expensive to build. The best bang-for-the-buck upgrade for the 1.7 is to rebuild the engine with larger 96mm pistons and cylinders to make a 1911cc engine. You'll get varying opinions but unless you're 100% certain of the service life that engine has had then it's just a bad gamble.

Do you know which cam you have? If it's the stock D-Jet cam, you're not going to get extra power with such large carburetors. First, the stock D-Jet cam is meant to be used with the stock D-Jet EFI and you won't see benefits with carbs unless you install a matching cam.

Similarly, your current cam lobes could be worn down, the case might need to be align bored, the bearings are probably shot, etc. There are a hundred things to go wrong. Pistons and cylinders cost money because in addition to the purchase price, you'll need to have them carefully balanced and examined because the quality issues of today's part is such that no two "identical" parts seem to be truly identical. Assume some machine work. Then assume much more. On top of that, for a 1911 or 2056cc engine you'll also need to take your heads to a machinist who really knows their Type-4 engines and have the large openings (registers) widened to 105mm and then machine/install larger valves. Also, you'll want a proper camshaft. That costs money. A lot of it.

On top of all of that, you're still going to have to experiment and tune those Webers quite a lot to get them to work. Also, in effect that plan is building the engine the wrong way around - that is, building the engine to suit the carbs. The 1.7 has tiny valves, small cylinders, EFI, etc. Great for mileage, but not stellar speed. And it doesn't leave much for bolt-on performance.

You can see that our engines get very expensive to build very rapidly. If you're going in without a budget and careful planning, then another route you might consider is looking for a whole used engine on Craigslist or wherever and skip the entire rebuild process.

I personally don't make as much money as I'd like, so I took the self-improvement approach and attended machining, welding, and engine rebuilding classes at my local community college via night classes. That way I can do all but the specialty machine shop work. Then I scope around for good deals, make careful purchases, and keep a journal so I don't get lost. If you don't want to do all that, and I wouldn't blame you, then look around for a running 2.0 liter engine and swap it in.

Just my $0.02.

-marcus
sean_v8_914
give that man a raise
mepstein
Buy stevegm engine in the classifieds. It's already to go. Sell the 44's.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=252804&hl=
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2015, 06:21 AM) *

agree.gif

You're approaching this all wrong. Most people wouldn't build an engine to suit a set of carbs. You build it how you want and then find the appropriate carbs. In this case, a set of 44s is really just the wrong approach for anything under a 2.0. *Can* they be made to work? Yes. But never as well as a set of Dellorto 36s or Weber 40s. I don't even know if you can find 28 mm chokes for Weber 44s, but 28 is the range you're looking for given the displacement. It's simply physics.

Steve has a great engine ready to go. If it were me, that's the route I'd go.

Or, find a set of Weber 40s (maybe trade) with 28mm chokes/venturis.
ChrisFoley
Get a Web 86a camshaft and a set of 30mm venturis for the 44IDFs.
broomhandle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 19 2015, 07:03 AM) *

Sweet. This is what I'm after. smile.gif

broomhandle
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 19 2015, 06:08 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2015, 06:21 AM) *

agree.gif

You're approaching this all wrong. Most people wouldn't build an engine to suit a set of carbs. You build it how you want and then find the appropriate carbs. In this case, a set of 44s is really just the wrong approach for anything under a 2.0. *Can* they be made to work? Yes. But never as well as a set of Dellorto 36s or Weber 40s. I don't even know if you can find 28 mm chokes for Weber 44s, but 28 is the range you're looking for given the displacement. It's simply physics.

Steve has a great engine ready to go. If it were me, that's the route I'd go.

Or, find a set of Weber 40s (maybe trade) with 28mm chokes/venturis.

I bought a set of 40's and I got totally screwed on them. So as parts. The 44's are new and cheap. Made in Spain. I'm not doing anything crazy. I just want my car going again. It's been off the road since 2002. A few years ago I had a 70 with a single Chinese single weber, just so under powered.... I got a clean complete 1.7 for cheap. And I now have 44's. I just want to drive my 914....
broomhandle
To the others. I would love a 2.0. In a perfect world. Around me they are 800-1000. The other motor you mentioned is 4k. Right now with that I have motor wise I have about 300.00 total. I know it will be underpowered, but it's what I have. Honestly. A wrx/trans is the direction I would prob go if I could.

Just my .02 cents...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(broomhandle @ May 19 2015, 11:31 PM) *

Sweet. This is what I'm after. smile.gif

If you do a little port work and increase compression to 9:1 you'll pick up a good deal of power.
ThePaintedMan
If you're into making those '44s work, then Chris is certainly your man. Go to his website - Tangering Racing. Buy his cable linkage and you will not be disappointed. Also, contact him and I'm sure he can make the 30mm vents that you need for the 44s, since he already makes 36mm venturis for 40s.

Chris is a great guy and an awesome vendor. You won't be disappointed.

Also, what's wrong with the 40s? Do you still have them?
stownsen914

A free flowing exhaust would be a good idea too. 44's are a bit big for a 1.7, but it'll have nice top-end performance wink.gif Rich won't be an issue - jetting will handle that.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.