Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fduval
Hi , can someone guide me to an engine removal procedures..thread.. I am new to 914`s and want to remove my 2 liters and transplant a 6 cyl. But I need to start at the begining !
Thanks
Hine62

I used this...Engine Drop
bigkensteele
There are some good tips in this thread as well.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1996143
malcolm2
Keep using the search feature on this BBS. You will run into lots of posts. Get a Haynes and a Climer manual. There are a couple other ones too. It is a bit intimidating the 1st time. But most folks can do it by themselves the 2nd, 3rd, etc...

Harbor Freight has this cool jack. It will support the engine and the trans. Put a pad or towel or something soft on it. Metal on metal is slippery. I never used the strap. It will wobble some so get someone to keep a hand on it, but you can get it to balance the engine trans combo.

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Here is another one:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=464034
fduval
QUOTE(Hine62 @ May 19 2015, 01:03 PM) *

I used this...Engine Drop

Thanks, Iread all of it and it looks quite simple if you follow the steps. regards
fduval
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ May 19 2015, 01:13 PM) *

Great to have so many pictures, thanks
somd914
My first engine drop took a better part of a day - we spent more time fighting rusted hardware than removing the engine. The next time we had it done and over with in a couple of hours.

So my advice is to soak heater tube hardware, heat exchanger nuts, etc with Kroil and start on those pieces before you actually get a friend or two over to help with the drop.
forrestkhaag
Pelican Parts has a step by step process for a safe one-man drop and insert / just did it. No issues / follow the steps and follow the tools needed so you don't get into it and start cutting corners which result in death.

The two items not on the list are your cellphone and an aerosol horn.

Have fun and check your health insurance coverage /...... and if married (and just before starting this process), make sure your lovely spouse has not recently increased the benefit to a 7 digit figure.......

beerchug.gif
Hine62
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 19 2015, 05:59 PM) *

Have fun and check your health insurance coverage /...... and if married (and just before starting this process), make sure your lovely spouse has not recently increased the benefit to a 7 digit figure.......

beerchug.gif

LOL... dropped mine in the driveway to change heads. 40min later she said, "You got it out already?"

I put mine on a furniture dolly with 2x4 to support trans and keep it level. I like keeping the engine closer to the ground, so it doesn't fall and break something. The engine has been in and out three times now...

hine62
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Hine62 @ May 19 2015, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 19 2015, 05:59 PM) *

beerchug.gif

LOL... dropped mine in the driveway to change heads. 40min later she said, "You got it out already?"

I put mine on a furniture dolly with 2x4 to support trans and keep it level. I like keeping the engine closer to the ground, so it doesn't fall and break something. The engine has been in and out three times now...

hine62

I installed mine 4 times before welding the mounts for the 6 conversion and one more time for broken head studs. By the 4th time it was 30-40 min total!

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
You should also understand that there's a whole lot more to the conversion than just bolting the six-cylinder motor in.

--DD
fduval
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 19 2015, 08:55 PM) *

You should also understand that there's a whole lot more to the conversion than just bolting the six-cylinder motor in.

--DD

Yes I read about the conversion as well on the pelican`s site , i am in the process of gathering everything needed .
So far , I have the engine and the starter motor,,,,! thks
forrestkhaag
Dave is correct. There is a lot more to the conversion that just the engine..... the biggest conversion will be your understanding of time travel. Einstein's theory of special relativity says that time slows down or speeds up depending on how fast a 914-6 moves relative to a 914-4. Approaching the speed of the average 6 conversion, a person inside a 914 would age much slower than his brother-in-law at home in his garage sitting in his 4.
Also, under Einstein's theory, a 914-6 can bend time at a faster rate than the same traveler in a 914-4.
Picture, if you will, a four-dimensional fabric called pebble grained vinyl. When anything that has mass (or a big @#%!) sits on that piece of fabric, warpage will cause a dimple or a bending of space-time (the fabric of time) within the interior space. Over time, the space separating the “fabric” will bend under pressure resulting in the need for a new seat cushion. This phenomenon is known, in the world of 914’s as “WTB” or What the Butt...... just bent time?. This bending of space-time can also cause objects to move on a curved path and that curvature of space is what we know as Pacific Coast Hwy.
In a 914-6, space and time warps are a commonplace. They are used for rapid journeys around the galaxy (referred to as OCE's or "Out of County Experiences"), or for travel through real time (mostly to the real local pub) . But today's science fiction – that a 4 to 6 conversion is possible, has become tomorrow's science fact. So what are the chances for space and time warps in your little miserable existence?. Do a conversion and you will experience contracting space (in your limited space on your garage) and a substantial time warp ( as your spouse is screaming at you to get your butt back in the house to feed the starving kids that haven’t had a decent meal since the last parts order to Chris, Bruce, and Mark). In the case of Mark’s products, one can use a front trunk compartment seal to illustrate the stretch of time by simply trying to fit the rubber (time continuum illustrator unit) into a fixed length space (rain gutter)

Keep in mind that for more than two thousand years, the axioms of Euclidean geometry, were considered to be self evident – then, in the early seventies, the 914 arrived. As those of you teeners that were forced to learn Euclidean geometry at school may remember, one of the consequences of these axioms is, that the angles of a triangle, which should add up to 180 degrees, sometimes dont.

However, with the advent of the 914-6 in the last century, Porsche-people began to realize that other forms of geometry were possible, in which the angles of a triangle, need not add up to a hundred and 80 degrees. Consider, for example, the “hellhole”. The nearest thing to a straight line on the rusted and pockmarked surface of the Hellhole within the engine bay, is what is called, the nonexistent reality. These realities are the shortest paths between two points (say, between sheet metal and the end of one’s welder, so they (the two points) are the routes that air lines use. The surface of the Earth on the otherhand, is what is called a two dimensional space. But I digress. For the 914 and 914-6 driver in space, space is curved, and geometry is non-Euclidean. That is to say, linear and solely based on the price and availability of gasoline.
As one who is stuck in the non-Euclidean space of a 914-4, I say go forward and build the 6 – of course, there is a lot more to it than a simple conversion……..

time for another cup of coffee.... beerchug.gif
Phoenix914
I have now been thoroughly entertained.

beer.gif
Bob L.
Uh... blink.gif
stugray
Another method if you dont have the trans cart pictured above (I have the exact same one!)

Once the engine is lowered all the way down on the floorjack, put a long 2X4 on either side of the floor jack sticking out the rear.
Using the engine bar, lift up one side (resting one side of the bar on the 2X4) and pull the floor jack out.
Now let the engine bar slide on the 2X4s and drag the engine/trans out from under the car.
jacksun
I just used an "easy out" and was done with it..

unfortunately, there is not an "easy in"????

r
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.