Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remember my car's engine... This morning it looked like this...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
I went to the workshop for an update on the engine. Alan had been working on it while I was away. And this is how it looks:

Remember the old?

IPB Image

This was this morning:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm sure that you can see the difference. And this made me really happy!

Menno

Edit: on the last pic, at the bottom, there's clearly a set of 'lines or ribs' casted in the tin, like a WiFi logo on its side. What's the function of these lines?
Cuda911
Wowza!!! Looks great!
914Sixer
Looking GOOD !!!!!
bdstone914
I think you are referring to the coil mount area on the fan housing. Much better location as it will not crack the tin as will happen when the coil is on the top tin. Requires reshaping of the end of the coil bracket
islabob
Great work.
Cairo94507
I would be extremely happy to walk in and see that ready for the car. smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
Like this: a better location for the coil, a bit more out of the way

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 20 2015, 06:49 AM) *

Like this: a better location for the coil, a bit more out of the way

Click to view attachment

agree.gif
DRPHIL914
Holy transformation, batman!! awesome!! that is some 914 engine p*rn!
beerchug.gif my complements to the builder for sure!
cwpeden
Ditto on the coil mount. Not sure what the wifi logo is for.
jeffdon
QUOTE(cwpeden @ May 20 2015, 06:35 AM) *

Ditto on the coil mount. Not sure what the wifi logo is for.

What ARE those semi circular castings? Always wondered.
Shadowfax
Looking good! aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
Those semi circles help radiate negative ions away from the coil where they are sucked up in the fan and dispersed over the cooling fins and cylinder heads. This allows for better cooling as the negative ions attract cooler air... blink.gif

biggrin.gif
76-914
Sharp!
thieuster
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 20 2015, 04:10 PM) *

Those semi circles help radiate negative ions away from the coil where they are sucked up in the fan and dispersed over the cooling fins and cylinder heads. This allows for better cooling as the negative ions attract cooler air... blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Why didn't I think of that myself! Thanks!

Menno
DavidSweden
QUOTE(thieuster @ May 20 2015, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 20 2015, 04:10 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Why didn't I think of that myself! Thanks!

Menno

The disadvantage of locating the coil on the fan housing is that its a bummer to remove when the engine is in the car. The engine looks great!
sean_v8_914
genius man, its also a wave guide to aide in the flow of the expanding and collapsing magnetic field of the coil. like a phase amplifier
colingreene
not really.
Maltese Falcon
Eye candy Menno aktion035.gif
From your Topic Headline...I was worried that there would be a small animal DOA in the fan housing !
Take your engine builder out for beerchug.gif
Marty
thieuster
When working on the engine, I became aware of something I would never have found with the engine 'in situ'"

The squar-ish thing in the middle where the 4 air intake tubes connect, had a little hole the size of a match head on the underside! So... that will draw in extra air, making the mixture lean!

I didn't notice it before I sent it off to the powder coater. it was so dirty that the hole was invisible. After blasting, the coater called and told me. He welded the hole for me and did a good job with the black powder coating.

Menno
PanelBilly
Wow. That's what an engine should look like. Take lots of photos from every angles and create a thread we could use when asking about a part.
EdwardBlume
Congrats! Leave the engine lid off for awhile!
somd914
New engine looks great, but where's the old? All I saw was a photo of a pile of dirt then a few photos a nice engine... biggrin.gif
rangrbob
Sweet! smile.gif
davesprinkle
Did you powder coat the fan housing? If so, you're likely to have charging system problems. The alternator's ground path is through the fan housing. Be sure you have good metal-to-metal contact at all points from the alternator housing to the engine case. Scrape off the powder coating where necessary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.