Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tp_reading
IPB Image

Hi,
I recently bought this car and am trying to research its race history. It was built for Rick Fairbanks by Protech Motorsport in Greenville, and raced regularly from 1987 through to 2009. Unfortunately the logs books have been lost :-(
I would be grateful for any thoughts, memories or photos.

Cheers,
Tony.
Gustl
I bet the VIN would help find out more ... shades.gif

and of course:

welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif
tp_reading
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 20 2015, 09:27 PM) *

I bet the VIN would help find out more ... shades.gif

and of course:

welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

I'm afraid that the VIN has not been very helpful in researching the cars history since it became a racecar. I was hoping someone might remember the race number from when it was raced in the 80's and 90,s. It was back on the track in 2012, and since then been made road legal for use in rallys.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 20 2015, 01:27 PM) *
from far, far away biggrin.gif

You two are not THAT far away from each other ...
biggrin.gif
brant
PCA club racing started around 1996
(I was at the very first ever pca club race)

so its history prior to 95? 96? must have been scca?
tp_reading
QUOTE(brant @ May 21 2015, 07:03 PM) *

Hi,
The car has a SCCA sticker on the door in my photo, but being in the UK I'm afraid I have no idea what it is ! Could you please tell me what it stands for and where I might go to find out if/when the car ran there.
Thanks so much,
Tony.

brant
QUOTE(tp_reading @ May 21 2015, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ May 21 2015, 07:03 PM) *

Hi,
The car has a SCCA sticker on the door in my photo, but being in the UK I'm afraid I have no idea what it is ! Could you please tell me what it stands for and where I might go to find out if/when the car ran there.
Thanks so much,
Tony.

Sports car club of America
A national club. Lots of regions.

(Hsr: historic sportscar racing)

Where did Grover Anderson live when he raced?
Knowing the state will help narrow the search
Was it built in North Carolina? Was he the only race-owner?
bulitt
I would call Black Forest Racing. They could probably put you in touch with the previous owner.

http://www.blackforestracing.com/index.php...0&Itemid=27

And Eurowest group in Florida- had it FS

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...e-race-car.html

Car has been around- Oregon-
Some good info here

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/classif...4-6-gtr/3325608
tp_reading
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 22 2015, 08:05 AM) *

I would call Black Forest Racing. They could probably put you in touch with the previous owner.

http://www.blackforestracing.com/index.php...0&Itemid=27

And Eurowest group in Florida- had it FS

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...e-race-car.html

Car has been around- Oregon-
Some good info here

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/classif...4-6-gtr/3325608

Hi,
I've already spoken to John Forbes at Black Forest Racing. He told me about recent history, and that he drove the car at Virginia International Raceway in 2012-3. I also know that it was owned and driven by Chuck Piazza and Andy McNeil in the mid 90's. However its actual pics or written proof that I need before I can get a pass for Historic racing in the UK, and thats what I'm finding difficult !
carr914
Click to view attachment
carr914
Tony, a bunch of 914-6 racers have found there over to GB. I know 2 of my old cars are over there!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
naro914
QUOTE(brant @ May 21 2015, 02:03 PM) *

smile.gif
time flies brant....first PCA race was 1992!! beerchug.gif

Tony, I saw that car at John's place for a while...almost bought it a few times myself. Not sure how much, if any, Grover actually raced it himself. John did a few times at Grovers request. Seemed like a really good car, but Grover wanted too much money when I was in a position to buy it.

Maybe contact Bill Gerwig at Protech directly
http://www.protechmotorsports.com/
Kansas 914
Hi Tony,

This is on the wall in my office.

Cheers!

Click to view attachment
tp_reading
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 22 2015, 04:30 PM) *

Hi Tony,

This is on the wall in my office.

Cheers!

Click to view attachment

How brilliant to see that print. My car is in a container on its way to the UK, and I'm in Monaco right now for the Grand Prix. Not sure which excites me the most ! Thank you all for your replies. I am going to keep up the search for more history of 244, it is obviously quite special !
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tp_reading @ May 22 2015, 11:16 AM) *

How brilliant to see that print. My car is in a container on its way to the UK, and I'm in Monaco right now for the Grand Prix. Not sure which excites me the most ! Thank you all for your replies. I am going to keep up the search for more history of 244, it is obviously quite special !

Tony,

Enjoy the Grand Prix. I hope the weather holds and it is a great race!

Cheers!
tp_reading
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 22 2015, 11:42 AM) *

Tony, a bunch of 914-6 racers have found there over to GB. I know 2 of my old cars are over there!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914's havn't been popular over here , but people are just waking up to how good they really are. I expect a few more US cars to find there way here very soon. Think that it's down to the strong historic scene that is gaining momentum.
tp_reading
History Update.

This is where I have got to so far :

1974 Porsche 914.

1989 Built for Rick Fairbanks by Protech Motorsports and campaigned by Rick. Body by Jim Wrona at Elite Custom Paint and Body of Simpsonville.

? (mid 90's) Sold to Chuck Piazza and raced very successfully by him and Andy McNeil.

? (2000) Sold back to Rick Fairburn for use by Historic Sportscar Racing. 2 ltr motor replaced with tuned 2.4 ltr.

2007 Sold to Tommy Johnson.

2008 Sold to Dr Grover Anderson and raced on his behalf at VIR Heacock Classic Gold Cup 2012 by John Forbes of Black Forest Racing.

2014 Sold to Rand Wintermute and converted to road legal by BFR for use in Historic Rally's.

2015 Shipped to UK.
ConeDodger
You might ask the artist who did the print what he knows about the car. I believe he markets it on eBay. Tris nerima?
tp_reading
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 29 2015, 08:04 PM) *

You might ask the artist who did the print what he knows about the car. I believe he markets it on eBay. Tris nerima?

He hasn't advertised on ebay for a while, but I've sent him an email anyway.
neilca
Look on the roll bar for the number. If the car was raced in SCCA there has to be a number and that number would have been on the log book. The number will also tell you what region it was originally registered. Some regions may have more info based on the roll bar number.
tp_reading
QUOTE(neilca @ Jun 8 2015, 11:44 PM) *

Look on the roll bar for the number. If the car was raced in SCCA there has to be a number and that number would have been on the log book. The number will also tell you what region it was originally registered. Some regions may have more info based on the roll bar number.

Thanks. I have been in touch with HSR but unfortunately all there records pre 2007 were lost when they upgraded their computer system :-(

I have asked the SCCA if they have any info, just awaiting their reply.

Cheers,

Tony
tp_reading
Click to view attachment

Building up quite a bit of history now !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.