Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What exactly is paypal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scooter311
Stop laughing at me rolleyes.gif

So what is it, is it safe, and where do I sign up for it? And are there different paypals for different transactions, like for Ebay versus private transactions?

I know, I know - I don't even have a cell phone yet......
biggrin.gif
seanery
it's just a payment service.
Ebay owns them now.

it's as safe as any other electronic payment service.
You can send payment to anyone with an email address.
Bleyseng
Its a great deal, see you sign me up as your "pal" then send me lots of "pay". Its a win win thing, you get a pal and pay me.

Just go to Paypal and sign up. It is hooked to a credit card or a bank account and works pretty damn good and is safe.

Geoff biggrin.gif
eric914
It's like an online bank or maby Western Union. It is owned by Ebay now. You sign up on their sight. Their are different levels but they mostly affect you if you intend to sell allot of stuff and want to accept credit cards for payment.

I have used it for about 2 years for both ebay and privet transactions. It can be convenient and your credit card info is not disclosed to people you are buying from.
davep
There is one membership for just making payments.
There is another if you want to receive payments as well.
Don't keep much credit with them if you can.
So far I have been lucky, others have not been. Now that Ebay runs it it is much better than before. It acts somewhat like a bank but does not have to follow the same regulations.
boxstr
Think of PAYPAL as a bank that holds your funds to help pay for different transactions, whether it be ebay or a private sale. They do charge for facilitating these transcations. But if you know what you are doing you can offset those costs.
It is much easier than going to hte bank or post office and getting a MO or cashiers check and having to send that.
I have used it since its inseption and I reccomend it to anyone who is going to be selling or buying items on the internet.
Be careful. If you sign up and have a PAYPAL account, neve rgive out any information, such as your private id or codes or acct names or numbers to anyone asking for them. There are scams that will email you and they use the PAYPAL logo and it looks legit, but it is not.
If you want more info PM me.
CCLINPAYPALMONEY
lapuwali
It's reasonably safe. They just transfer money, and can do so from a credit card, a checking account, or even from money they're holding for you. This means a normal person can be paid by credit card w/o the receiver having to do anything other than have a Paypal account. They're NOT a bank, legally, and they have none of the legal or insurance protections of banks, but they do a fairly decent job of handling customer problems.

You can use them for any transaction, not just Ebay. All you need is the receiver's Paypal account name, which is always an email address, to send them money. Works very well internationally, too. I've sent money to Australians and Europeans in dollars, Euros, pounds, and Australian dollars painlessly.

SLITS
It's a Nigerian scam........ biggrin.gif
SteveL
Not to hijact the thread, but this is sorta related:
I wen to ebay to set up a sellers accoun t, and they wat bank account # and routing #, in addition to a credit car???? This sounds pretty risky to me. Do they have the ability to remove funds from your bank account?

Thanks
redshift
Paypal sucks as bad as any scam out there now.

Ebay also sucks.. here, let's tax people 18 times... that should take the profit out!

M
scooter311
"Yeah, what Steve says" - can they pull from your checking account? If that's true then "Yeah, what Miles said"

I'd rather pay the kwickie mart 40 cents then hafta pay some fees or taxes and have some 'fiduciary' risks involved. Is 'fiduciary' a word?
spare time toys
It sucks flipa.gif my sister runs a side business and they have frozen her account. She has proven to them with thier own records they are wrong and they will not un freeze her account. They also blocked all her Ebay sales and dropped all the items she had listed. I plan to stop using it.
mrihop
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Feb 21 2005, 09:40 AM)
It sucks flipa.gif my sister runs a side business and they have frozen her account. She has proven to them with thier own records they are wrong and they will not un freeze her account. They also blocked all her Ebay sales and dropped all the items she had listed. I plan to stop using it.

Is your sister's issue IRS related?
boxstr
Your always going to get the good and bad sides of PAYPAL and ebay. If you want the conveinece of an easy quick way to collect or send funds then go for it, it you want to go to the bank or PO then don't use it.
CCLINWHATEVER
Rand
I've used Paypal for five years. It's reliable and secure for taking or making payments. I have a Paypal debit card tied to my account, so if someone pays me I can go to an ATM and pull cash out immediately or just use the card anywhere that takes credit cards. I can take payments online at my web site, people can pay with any debit or credit card... from my experience, it's a great service.
bondo
Paypal tip: whenever you buy anything from anyone you don't absolutely trust using paypal, use a credit card. NOT a paypal balance transfer or checking account transfer. If you get screwed, paypal will ignore you until you go to your credit card company and do a chargeback. That is the only way to get their attention.
scooter311
Hmmmmmm

I'll prolly end up getting an account then. Sending a money order once in a while is fine, but getting a few different things from different people, or overseas seems easier using paypal.
Thanks y'all boldblue.gif
redshift
Open a second bank account, get all the protections on it... keep that account barely serviceable.

Make that your PayPal thing, and never leave enough for Nigeria.

M
GWN7
Paypal has 3 levels of service.

First is if you want to send money from your account and receive money from others accounts. Basicly free.

Second is if the people paying you want to use a credit card to pay you (if they don't have enough cash in their Paypal account). Costs you more in fees.

Third is the Business Account, don't know about it....

The good: fast transfers of cash to and from your account. Buyer protection if you buy something and don't receive it.

The Bad: There debit card is only available to US residents.

They will only transfer money to and from your account in the currency of your country. I have a US $ account here and wanted to transfer money from my Paypal account to it. They converted it to CDN $'s (a 3% fee) So when I want to buy materials in US $'s (from a non paypal account) it cost me another 3% to convert it back into US $ (Total 6%) And add in the 2.9% + .30 per transaction fee to accept Paypal payments. It can cost me almost 10% of every purchace in fees.

They pay no interest on money you have in your "account".

If you have a problem with your account, they take 4-5 business days to respond to your emails.

Anyone can file suit against you and paypal will freeze your account and you can't access any of your money. (Didn't happen to me, but I know of some people who it has happened to)

use them, yes but be carefull
spare time toys
QUOTE (mrihop @ Feb 21 2005, 12:56 PM)
Is your sister's issue IRS related?

No Its just a dispute with them. They hold all the cards and if you dont like what they do youre frozen untill you come to your sences and realize they own you. finger.gif
TC/914
"If you get screwed, paypal will ignore you until you go to your credit card company and do a chargeback. That is the only way to get their attention. "

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ! ! ! I've had mostly good relations with PayPal, but don't expect anything from them other than ease of money transfer. They're not your advocate in anything. Don't use them as a bank or keep money in their account and ALWAYS tie your PayPal dealings to a limited credit card or bank debit card, as the issuing banks/card companies are your ONLY defense against fraud.

Luck,

TC
Rusty
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 21 2005, 12:24 PM)
Paypal sucks as bad as any scam out there now.

Ebay also sucks.. here, let's tax people 18 times... that should take the profit out!

My God... something I agree with Miles on. ohmy.gif

eBay is okay... they collect fees. But if you add their Paypal fees on top of that, any little profit that a seller makes can be quickly chewed up. It's definately a money-making machine.

If you DO get a PayPal account, open up a second savings or checking account to go with it. Put 25 bucks in there. That way, if you get a bum you're doing business with - they can't complain and have PapPal reverse the charges on you. If you read their fine print, they CAN do that.

You can fight a chargeback with your credit card company... if they wipe out your checking account, that's your CASH for living expenses.

It's a good thing that our Classifieds are free. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.