Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doing SCCA Time Trial for first time on Memorial Day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
Never done or been to a TT before...no idea what to expect? Anyway, after doing a handful of SCCA Hillclimbs, we have some time this weekend and decided to do a one day TT here at our local track CMP on Memorial Day. Running Papa Smurf in GT2 class.

Nadine has never driven in a true competitive event on a track (her only competitive driving is autocrosses and Hillclimbs), so she wanted to try this. Sounds like it's somewhat like a Drivers Ed with timing? Either way, it's a day on track and should be fun. Plus it gives us a chance to try out some of the data and video toys we have, and see if we can get the communication radios working.. I'm approaching this as a test day with trophies!!

driving.gif driving-girl.gif
Randal
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 23 2015, 02:01 PM) *

Never done or been to a TT before...no idea what to expect? Anyway, after doing a handful of SCCA Hillclimbs, we have some time this weekend and decided to do a one day TT here at our local track CMP on Memorial Day. Running Papa Smurf in GT2 class.

Nadine has never driven in a true competitive event on a track (her only competitive driving is autocrosses and Hillclimbs), so she wanted to try this. Sounds like it's somewhat like a Drivers Ed with timing? Either way, it's a day on track and should be fun. Plus it gives us a chance to try out some of the data and video toys we have, and see if we can get the communication radios working.. I'm approaching this as a test day with trophies!!

driving.gif driving-girl.gif

You'll have a ball. Important thing is to concentrate on the track, lines, braking points, where you can go flat out and such and get lots of runs before the TT. 100% concentration on the track is what will make the TT fast.
naro914
Thanks Randal
Been doing PCA club racing here for 13+ years, TT is new for us..figured another reason to be at the track and something Nadine can get into. I'm going for Southeast Div GT2 champion this year... smile.gif
tp_reading
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 24 2015, 07:36 PM) *

Thanks Randal
Been doing PCA club racing here for 13+ years, TT is new for us..figured another reason to be at the track and something Nadine can get into. I'm going for Southeast Div GT2 champion this year... smile.gif

A picture tell a thousand stories , please ?
naro914
Picture of car? Here you go.
Unfortunately the crank pulley bolt backed out and sheared off the dowel pin. Done after 5 laps. sad.gif

Click to view attachment
Jetsetsurfshop
Damn, was looking forward to some footage. driving.gif
I just competed it TT with NASA for the first time in May. The director told me to sandbag, no 4-offs or spins and he'd sign me off. I went out in my first session and did a big spin at turn 13. blink.gif I had no more incidents and he signed me off.
Get your car fixed and get back out there.
Something else, TT seems to be the hardest i've ever ran my car. Trying to squeeze out tenths of seconds is rough on my old car. Hope she holds up, have Chumpcar coming up!
naro914
By having a race license, they were nice and just granted me a TT license. Plus the hillclimb see do are technically part of the TT series.

Well...I ran 5 laps, got FTD and broke the class track record. This is my home track so I could drive it with my eyes closed. Really wanted more time to sort out some new things on the car and have Nadine get some seat time....

I do have some video, will post later this week!
naro914
video. Not much to see but this is all the driving I got all weekend...
We were trying out an older Smartycam that we just got and didn't know it had logos formatted into the video...no, I am not driving a Ford!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6EX9PI0r88
Andyrew
Cant wait to watch this tonight!
naro914
don't get too excited..not much to see. I have much better videos posted. Go to our website and click on Video's...
naro914
OK, doing another TT at Roebling Road this coming weekend, this time with Huey not Papa Smurf. Turns out the bolt that backed out of the pulley above was just the beginning...found bearing material in the oil..AGAIN (now onto 5th engine rebuild in 3 years!!)

Anyway, Huey just got new suspension points replaced and stiffened, so he should be good to go! I have a shot at GT2 Division Champion, Nadine has a shot at 2nd place if we both do well.
Brett W
Bob,
I heard rumors there was a 914 that actually ran on track at Roebling. How did it go?
naro914
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 27 2015, 11:25 PM) *

Bob,
I heard rumors there was a 914 that actually ran on track at Roebling. How did it go?

LOL!! Yep, Huey did just fine. Not the fastest, and certainly not fast enough for GT2 class, but did well enough for some fun. I finished 2nd in class both days, Nadine 3rd...which put us 2nd and 3rd in class for the season. If I could have only found 1.8 seconds just 1 day!!!

Click to view attachment
Brett W
Congrats. That event is always fun. I had several customers going down to run. Next year you will be able to take the Zcar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.