Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster S 6 speed / LS1 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I'm running a G50, a 1987 911 transmission in my LS1 914.
The G50 is just geared wrong, and is so expensive to mod.
I see the Boxster is geared a bit better and shifts a bit easier.

******** What year Boxster ?? confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
If you are looking for the standard round bell housing, 2008 or newer S model. If you want the Audi bellhousing shape (944, A4, Boxster, Fox Passat same basic shape) 2008 or older.

You need to find the right adapter and match the tranny. if you want to get even better, search eBay UK for a TDI transmission 01E or the like. They will have better gearing out of the box than a Boxster S will.
drive-ability
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 24 2015, 08:19 PM) *

If you are looking for the standard round bell housing, 2008 or newer S model. If you want the Audi bellhousing shape (944, A4, Boxster, Fox Passat same basic shape) 2008 or older.

You need to find the right adapter and match the tranny. if you want to get even better, search eBay UK for a TDI transmission 01E or the like. They will have better gearing out of the box than a Boxster S will.

Mike,
I need an education on this subject. I just looked at eBay Europe and saw a number of transmissions, Audi, VW and more. I saw Audi S4 and more.
Wow lots of info needed confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
Basically all Audi's have the same bell housing. They make transmissions for VW, Porsche, Scota(spelling?) and others. ebay UK is full of TDI pars cars. Some have transverse engines like a GTI. These trannies will not work. You need a longitudinal tranny like that of the A4, Passat, A6, A8, Boxster, etc. TDI trannies have taller gears since they only rev to 3500rpm. They can also withstand more torque than the gas versions.

Here is an example of cheap transmissions (gearbox in the UK)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40...ox&_sacat=0

I found my Boxster S 6 speed on this site for $700 and $245 shipping. 3 day shipping with TNT. The seller strapped it to a pallet and called TNT.

Most of these trannies will accept the Boxster linkage, cables and shifter. On my Passat 5 speed, I had to make linkage to work due to a threaded boss not being drilled and tapped. I did not want to drill into the side of the tranny. The Passat gears are slightly too low for my turbo power band but it will do 80mph @ 3200 rpm. My 6 speed is the same overall ratio, same speed same rpm.

The DUK has good ratios for a V8 but is only a 5 speed. You will have to search for a TDI 6 speed to get better ratios and 6 gears.

I will never recommend dropping the clutch in 1st gear with any of these trannies with an LS1. Drive smart and parts last. Buy a Mendeola if you want to do burn outs.
Mike Bellis
Many Audi trannies have 130mm tripodial axle flanges. Boxster 5 speed flanges are 100mm and pop right in place. Boxster S 6 speed flanges are 108mm (930 size). These flanges will not fit directly without a custom milled spacer to fit in place of a bearing/spacer on the 100mm version. Spline count and length are the same.
Mike Bellis
01E and LS adapter stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=VW+...ox&_sacat=0
Mike Bellis
Make sure to find a FWD tranny. There is no way to modify these to FWD like the Subaru without having a complete FWD tranny for parts.
Mike Bellis
I should also mention the 6 speed is seriously heavy and almost 4 inches longer than the 5 speed. Not sure of the exact weight but I can almost muscle the 5 speed in place by hand, the 6 speed requires a jack or hoist.
Mike Bellis
You could also go to eBay Germany and search "Boxster Getriebe" and find transmissions. Germany is more expensive than the UK. Go figure. smilie_flagge6.gif

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&am...be&_sacat=0
drive-ability
Thank you Mike
I am going to do my homework. I need to find the right trans.
If you think of anything else please post it.
andys
I'll need to research this a bit, but there is a gearing spreadsheet of all Audi/Passat 5 and 6 speed transaxles somewhere on the NET. I'd recommend you determine which letter codes (or part numbers) have the desired ratios you're looking for. When making a selection, do so by code rather than year/application to be sure you're getting what you want. If memory serves me correctly, there are two TDI 6 speed variations; one with a 4.11 R&P, and the other with a 3.89 R&P. Choose the 3.89.

Andys
Mike Bellis
I like both my 5 & 6 speed trannies.

The 6 is real good at keeping the rpms together in the power band when going fast from a stop. At WOT banging the gears, the rpms keeps climbing, there is no noticeable drop and at first felt like a slipping clutch. All the time the car kept going faster and faster.

The 5 is a better around town tranny. gear ratios are spread enough that I can tool around in 3rd most of the time. There is a noticeable rpm drop between the shifts like any other 5 speed. With the 6, I have to up/down shift more around town.

The 6 makes my car faster in a drag race;0-100 mph. But you have to have a quick arm and foot. If you have bad knees, go with the 5 speed.

Both shift like butter. I use a 1997 Boxster shifter on both trannies. I had to clearance the bottom slightly for the 6's longer side to side gate. This is a very simple grind of plastic. The 6 speed might be slightly smoother but I attribute this to the new dealer cables. My 5 speed cable are used ebay junk.

Cables can only be found new at the dealer. I paid $400+ with a PCA discount. If you are not in the PCA expect to pay over $500 for the pair. Ebay is a good source for used 5 speed cables but remember... people sell their used cab;es because they replaced with new. Buyer beware. There are usually no 6 speed cables on ebay.

Here's a trick: The triptronic uses a single cable. This is the same as the 5 speed cable. You can buy two and have the correct set. The triptronic usually have less abuse than the 5 speed. I had one of my 5 speed cables go bad and I'm using one triptronic as a replacement.

I will be buying new cables from the dealer when these both go out.
drive-ability
I talked to Renegade and they are using the first generation Boxster S (2000 to 2005) I also looked at a tire size calculator and I can gain 15 percent going from 285/30/18 to 285/50/18. also could go to a 20 inch rim in the rear as well and go with 285/40/18 and gain 15 percent as well.
I don't dislike the G-50 so much and it would be nice to stay with it If I could. The big thing is the trans. must be right or the car any car isn't worth driving. barf.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 26 2015, 10:59 PM) *

I talked to Renegade and they are using the first generation Boxster S (2000 to 2005) I also looked at a tire size calculator and I can gain 15 percent going from 285/30/18 to 285/50/18. also could go to a 20 inch rim in the rear as well and go with 285/40/18 and gain 15 percent as well.
I don't dislike the G-50 so much and it would be nice to stay with it If I could. The big thing is the trans. must be right or the car any car isn't worth driving. barf.gif

Looks like a 01E
http://californiamotorsports.net/pages/por...e-specification
drive-ability
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 27 2015, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 26 2015, 10:59 PM) *

Looks like a 01E
http://californiamotorsports.net/pages/por...e-specification

well I can get a R&P which woud drop the rpm at 70 mph to aproxx 2000. The R&P costs 3k and a basic rebuild kit for the G-50 is 1k. These porsche transmissions are not cheep !!!!!! I did find out I was using the wrong trans oil so I installed the correct stuff and it does shift much better. I guess I will work on other parts of the car before i deside what to do with the transmission. confused24.gif
MJHanna
Good information Mike, I've got a boxter shifter that can out of low mile wrecked car. I guess I should sell it as I'm not goting to use it. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.