Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I need some help identifying some wires and what they're suppose to attach to.

Here's the first one:

It's running through the center console and exits just before the gear shifter.

black w/blue stripes - ?

1 of 4
watsonrx13
Next, these wires are underneath the driver's seat.
(3) brown - ?
(1) brown w/white - ?
(1) black w/red - ?

2 of 4
watsonrx13
Next, these wires are in the engine compartment and come from the 12-pin connector:

white - ?
black - coil +
black w/purple - coil +
green w/red - oil pressure switch

3 of 4
watsonrx13
Finally, these are in the engine compartment and come from the main cable towards the passenger's side:

green w/black - rectangular quick connect - ?
(2) dark wires - round quick connect that goes through the engine tin - ?
(4) red - battery +

4 of 4

mattillac
i have a '75 2.0. i'll go take a look and take some pics if i can get my stupid dig. cam. working mad.gif
TravisNeff
black and blue is for the heater lever (well the light for the heater lever, the 2nd group of wires iwth the browns bundled together are for your interior light. The green cable with square connect is for an oil pressure guauge (I think), and I am going out on a limb here and think that the white wire on the engine wiring is for your oil pressure light (red idiot light).
TravisNeff
round plug in the engine bay is for your fuel pump
watsonrx13
Travis Neff,Feb 21 2005, 05:37 PM]round plug in the engine bay is for your fuel pump

Thanks Travis, that's what I thought. I'll be using these wires to move the fuel pump to the front trunk, I've got carbs.

I think the white wire has something to do with fuel injection?

the 2nd group of wires iwth the browns bundled together are for your interior light.

Thanks again, I'm not ready to install the back pad yet.
TheCabinetmaker
Yep. The white wire and the green with the square insulator are FI related. TS1 and TS2 I believe.
TravisNeff
Aren't those specific to the FI Harness only? Idiot light and oil pressure gauge wiring are part of the main harness, no?
TheCabinetmaker
Hmm, ok. TS1 (intake air temp) runs with the group of wires from the coil/oil press sender to the relay board. . The thermo tine switch also runs with that group. TS2 (head temp) is part of the injection harness. I'm going from memory here, but I can check my car later. The PO put a single carb on mine and I put the injection back on, so it now has some different color wires due to some missing and broken wires at that time.

There is only one wire for the oil pressure.
watsonrx13
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Feb 21 2005, 06:27 PM)
Hmm, ok. TS1 (intake air temp) runs with the group of wires from the coil/oil press sender to the relay board. . The thermo tine switch also runs with that group. TS2 (head temp) is part of the injection harness. I'm going from memory here, but I can check my car later. The PO put a single carb on mine and I put the injection back on, so it now has some different color wires due to some missing and broken wires at that time.

There is only one wire for the oil pressure.

I found the correct green w/red wire for the oil pressure, therefore, I *think* the white and square-connector are FI related.

BTW, the black w/blue wire in the first pic is still undefined. I have the correct wire that connects to the heater knob.... Any other opinions on this wire?????
TheCabinetmaker
That wire should go to the defroster on/off light that mounts next to the heater control knob. Totally useless in my opinion.
ClayPerrine
The white wire in the engine harness went to the aux air regulator for the fuel injection. Be careful, it has power any time the key is on. If you ground it, it blows the ignition fuse and the car quits running.

The ones under the driver's seat are the wiring for the dome light in the back pad.

Hope that helps.

watsonrx13
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Feb 21 2005, 07:18 PM)
That wire should go to the defroster on/off light that mounts next to the heater control knob. Totally useless in my opinion.

Thanks.... BTW, why would anyone need a defroster....(hahahahaha...Florida joke...)
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Feb 21 2005, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Feb 21 2005, 07:18 PM)

Thanks.... BTW, why would anyone need a defroster....(hahahahaha...Florida joke...)

I need the defroster, but wtf do I need a stupid light to tell me its on? screwy.gif
Joe Ricard
Rob, The black and purple and just plain black go to the coil. one will have 12V positve on it. that goes to the positive terminal of the coil. the other one goes to the negative side of the coil it is for the tach.
Car is resting at the other house with the book. You got a book right? slap.gif
Joe Ricard
Dude, Isn't it amazing what you will find in the book. OK the black and purple is for the tach and it goes to terminal 1 or - side of the coil along with your ignition condensor (short wire from the little can on the distributor. the black wire will be hot 12V+ it goes to terminal 15 on the coil +

Green/red stripe is to the oil pressure sending unit on the case just behind the distributor.
The black and blue wire is for the illumination of the lightbulb. It will be hot when the head light switch is pulled on. There should be a brown wire that terminates near by also.

So says the good book. The other wires? IDUNNO confused24.gif Got to see where they are coming from then I can figure out what they are going to. Brown is always ground for something. Big heavy yellow is the one everybody shorts to eliminate the seat belt safety switch. PITA because it prevented you from starting the car without belts connected until the wire in the set cushion developed an intermitent open. One you got it started yuo could disconect the belt and it would continue to run. (German notsobright idea)
But I would verify any answers you get here because some of us just pull things out of our ass. then there is the good book. it don't lie.
Dave_Darling
I know most of these have been covered piecemeal, but one or two seem to have been missed and I figured I'd put them all in one response.

black w/blue stripes - ?

Either goes to the "DEFROST" light right next to the heater control lever, or it plugs into the center console harness to provide power to the illumination lights in the console.

(3) brown - ?
(1) brown w/white - ?
(1) black w/red - ?

The interior light in the backpad. The bk/rd is power, the brown is ground, the br/wh is grounded only when a door is open.

white - ?
black - coil +
black w/purple - coil +
green w/red - oil pressure switch

White == AAR power connection; gets +12V any time the fuel pump is running.
Black (may have a red stripe) == Coil + terminal
Black/Pu == Coil - terminal
Green/Red == oil pressure switch

green w/black - rectangular quick connect - ?
(2) dark wires - round quick connect that goes through the engine tin - ?
(4) red - battery +

Gr/Bk == Oil temp sender; this goes BELOW the engine tin and connects to the wire that comes across the front of the engine, coming from the two-bolt sump plate ("taco plate").
Bk/Re & Br == fuel pump connector; this also goes BELOW the engine tin and plugs into the fuel pump.
Re == Battery + terminal

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.