Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what do you think of this car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
This is a re-list. Looks like it got 12,100 with a "reserve not met" last time. Now it's at no reserve.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Two-Li...em=321763923012

I'd love to see pics of the longitudinals, but it looks like the hell hole is in decent shape. Anyone familiar with this car? Thoughts?

Spoke
The car looks clean body-wise but there's little emphasis given to the rockers and hell hole. I'm not a fan of the blacked out trunk interiors.

The rear brake rotor doesn't look good but it might be a picture anomaly. The single carb is a definite turn-off. The heat exchangers look shot too.
Dave_Darling
Hate the muffler, not a big fan of the wheels. The speakers are interesting--certainly different from stock, but at least they didn't chop up the door panels.

Looks reasonable straight and clean overall, though.

--DD
r_towle
Looks like an honest restoration, call the guy about the legs, but from the one pic I saw of the rear, it looks like it was spared the typical rust.

That level of work is worth the cost IMHO.
JeffBowlsby
Car is a mish-mash of parts from various model years. May be a decent driver but has no integrity or collector value.

Dryer vent ducts for the heater fan? Really?

Early heater fan, 1.7/1.8L HEs, 1975-76 window cranks, aluminum door threshold plates, metal tailbadges, early rear bumper, missing bumperguards, perlon carpeting - all are not correct for a 1974 2.0L 914. Single carb is a major problem. No photos of the rust-prone areas.

Color change car - originally black? ...what else is concealed?

This is a $5K 914 only because it has a nice paint job.

Run away.
bandjoey
Find someone close for a PPI. With the underside painted black I wonder what's it covering up. Looks like a nice car. FI. Included is a plus. To spent that much Id
want a hands on look at the car. With a solid body it's probably in line with recent sales.
kkid
Is the antenna location from the factory???

I don't like the brake rotor to be painted...
steuspeed
Looks like tons of black over spray all under the car. Look at the rear shock and heater hoses. Lots of covering up. Not a good sign.
Mike Bellis
The carb sucks and will not drive well.

The door jam, latch side does not look right. Maybe it's too much bondo on the seam and the Ziebart hole that's trowing me.

I do not like the blacked out trunks either.
Big Len
Looks like it would be worth the time/money for a PPI.
Porschef
I like the pre bidding stipulations, especially numbers 1 and 4.

I'd clear #1 without a second thought.

No. 4... beer3.gif smoke.gif confused24.gif blink.gif

Every 914 for sale should have mandatory long pics. What better way to avoid wasting potential buyer's time?

Yeah, i know, good luck with that.
Mike Bellis

· Show Quality 914 - Factory Two Liter Car - Engine # GA003785
· Two barrel carburetor with dual flow performance exhaust (factory fuel injection components included)
· 4 wheel disc brakes
· New Goodyear Eagle ZR50 tires
· Custom speaker units
· Solid body & chassis – no rust or bondo
· Interior in excellent condition - new carpeting - dash has typical hairline cracks
· Runs, brakes, drives superbly

Not "show quality".
Must have bondo, very few people can prep a car for paint without.
Cannot run & drive superbly with that single webber.

Shouldn't a 2L car have chrome bumpers?

Call Brad at 914 Limited and see is he can do a PPI. He is fairly close.
mepstein
It's still easy to disguise rusted longs with fiberglass, bondo and all the other stuff dpo use to hide the rust. Since they say rust and bondo free in the ad, they should have to live with it and not just get away with - sold as is. But I realize this is eBay.
iankarr
Ok...so...

The guy sent me more pics of the hell hole and more undercarriage closeups of the rust prone areas. All looks super clean and solid. Says he doesn't have the time to remove rocker covers before the end of the auction, but if I buy he will guarantee that the longs are rust-free.

More info...

I got the VIN and engine serial. Looks like it's not a matching numbers car. The engine is a 2.0 from 1973. I have no idea if the car was originally a 2.0. I'm guessing not, given the metal letters on the back.

I'm on the fence about this one. It seems that truly rust-free (or guaranteed rust free) cars are rare and it's def gonna be cheaper for me to restore the included FI, swap out the uglies (exhaust, single carb, bumper) than it would be to a rusty car and repaint. And, since it's not in Cali. shipping is reasonable

I'm looking for a nice driver I can enjoy, see how I like the 914 world, sell it and buy a better car.

My gut tells me to wait...that a nice 2.0 for 10-12K will materialize, but I don't know enough about the market to be sure.
rick 918-S
To me rust is the only issue. The rest is nuts and bolts.
Cuda911
QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 29 2015, 01:22 PM) *

My gut tells me to wait...that a nice 2.0 for 10-12K will materialize, but I don't know enough about the market to be sure.

Hmmm... I don't think a nice 2.0 for 10-12K is available anywhere anymore, unless you get SUPER lucky on a Craig's List find.
ConeDodger
Keep looking... blink.gif
boxsterfan
Have someone local do a PPI or buy a plane ticket and go see it. Still can be tough though when they hide the rust under bondo.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 29 2015, 06:22 PM) *

Hmmm... I don't think a nice 2.0 for 10-12K is available anywhere anymore, unless you get SUPER lucky on a Craig's List find.

Yeah, depends on your definition of "nice"...but rust-free, original FI, high quality driver, 73/74 2.0 with it's original engine is going to be minimum $15K, but likely high teens.

I spent several months looking and finally settled on a gorgeous '75 with backdated FG bumpers and a low-miles 2270. driving.gif
I might still be car-less if I kept holding out for that completely original 2.0 for low teens money. Not saying it won't happen, but sometimes you just want a great car to drive.
My next 914 will be a completely bone stock 73/74 2.0 though sunglasses.gif
I truly miss the Djet. Honestly. But the 2270 helps me forget!
Big Len
You can -

1. Start a new thread asking a local member to look at the car & throw them a C note.
2. Phone a local P-car mechanic to do the same.
3. Hire a company like Jewel or Jalopy to do the PPI.
4. Drive the 11 hours to Joliet yourself.
5. Move on.

somd914
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 29 2015, 06:22 PM) *

Depends on your definition of "nice", but my definition of "nice" would be north of this price range, perhaps "decent" would fall in that range...

If you are looking for a driver, why worry about originality - think you'll find most in this price range have been modified.

For me, my car is a driver, far from original, but in my opinion superior to original.

As we all know rust is always more extensive/expensive than originally thought. But also keep in mind engine rebuilds on Type IV's can run north of $6k, rebuilding heads or new heads can set you back $2.5k, so make sure you're PPI includes compression and leak down tests (and also keep in mind that a valve adjustment can significantly impact these tests).

Keep an open mind, keep shopping. For everyone that gets away, another will come up. Don't be afraid to ask for local members to go look at out of town cars for you.

Good luck.
sean_v8_914
rough crowd here. $5000 car? in your dreams . maybe in 1995
there are some corrections required but looks like a nice driver
if you are a serious buyer, spending a few hundred on 2-3 ppi to find teh right car is money well spent

if i am selling a car at that price i woiuld not hesitate to remove the right rocker for inspaection but longitudinal condition ca be determined without removal

need to see hell hole

need to see inside front trunk (inner fender wells straight?

nice trouble free driver will cost 15k+

for 10k there will be corrections required

JawjaPorsche
I see rust holes under battery tray which might be a tip of the ice berg. See yellow arrow in picture.

Also don't understand the bolt sticking out of the speedo drive. See yellow arrow. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

I would not buy without looking in person. My two cents.
Annapolis914
purchased this one and now join the 914 World.
Anyone know a 914 World member good with wrench in Maryland for restoration back to original?
Definitely need help on insurance, maintenance, tips on ownership, ect.
Thanks, Mark
Pat Garvey
screwy.gif
Annapolis914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 31 2015, 03:58 PM) *

screwy.gif

Thanks my friend......was in Philly today. UPenn, Go Quakers.
Cairo94507
Maryland s not that far from VA and Scotty at Kahiko Customs & Restoration. My car is in Scotty's capable hands - check my build thread in my signature. That should give you an idea of the skill set you would be dealing with. welcome.png
Big Len
Many (like myself) like Hagerty. Give them a call. Whatever insuranve company you choose, make sure you raise the valuation to cover the car post restoration.

Best of luck with the car.
mepstein
my car is valued at $14K and insurance is $140/yr. classic car insurance with very few restrictions. I drive it to work on nice days.
Registered as antique - One time $75 registration and no inspection ever.
Your state might be different.

2nd cairo's suggestion for scotty b if you want top notch work.

welcome.png and welcome to the madness
Annapolis914
Thanks for the info on Scotty in VA and insurance!
Appreciated!
somd914
Historic tags in MD are $25/yr, by the book you can't use the car for a daily, just for driving to car events and occasional personal use. No state inspection is required.

I'm with Hagarty, though there are many good classic car insurers. Be careful with typical carriers, many won't insure for an agreed upon value.

Cuda911
Both my 914s are insured through American Collectors Insurance. Been pleased with their customer service and rates. Minimal restrictions on car use, stated value policy.
Annapolis914
QUOTE(somd914 @ May 31 2015, 06:02 PM) *

Historic tags in MD are $25/yr, by the book you can't use the car for a daily, just for driving to car events and occasional personal use. No state inspection is required.

I'm with Hagarty, though there are many good classic car insurers. Be careful with typical carriers, many won't insure for an agreed upon value.

Thanks love to catch up with you one day once vehicle is in area. Shipping later in month.
Annapolis914
Update on this "show" quality purchase / project.

Once delivered it was obvious some of the listing information was very true and a little was not.

True included no rust, runs really well, paint good, interior good, clear title, FI parts included, and more. Was clear about throttle sticking and his preference for a different muffler. Included lots of extras including original FI. I am very thankful the "no rust" was true. Good bones and interior makes anything else fairly easy to repair.

Not true, had to replace front and rear calipers, throttle was beyond being tight, left blinkers did not work, no visors, dashboard lights did not work, emergency brake did not work, seat does not adjust, and a few more. Original owners manual turned out to be an old maintenance manual you can buy for $15 on the web.

Summary is I bought it sight unseen so no reason to complain, and actually fairly satisfied. I had him end the Ebay auction early and paid him around $11K.
Just picked up from 30 day stay in shop yesterday after a $3450 bill to get much of it corrected. Runs amazing now and I am excited. Still need to put stock muffler on and convert back to FI but this one is looking like a decent driver, but never a show car.

I am excited and glad to be a 914 owner.
Big Len
Screw the money....enjoy the hell out of it.

Post more pics too.
Stacks914
Looks like a nice driver! Great interior!
Annapolis914
QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 20 2015, 09:22 AM) *

Screw the money....enjoy the hell out of it.

Post more pics too.

Could not have said it better.

Carpe diem is def my motto as it relates to parting with cash.

My wife is beside herself, as in her words, "here he goes again". Love that woman though!
Bossman
Focus on the positives. My "all origional" came with two different vin numbers. Wife still brings that up....
EdwardBlume
All's well that ends well! You're going to enjoy it.
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
napasteve
Annapolis914, I just looked the eBay pics of your car. If the car is truly rust free, you should feel OK about the price. Looks pretty darn good to me.
thelogo
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2015, 06:40 PM) *

my car is valued at $14K and insurance is $140/yr. classic car insurance with very few restrictions. I drive it to work on nice days.
Registered as antique - One time $75 registration and no inspection ever.
Your state might be different.

2nd cairo's suggestion for scotty b if you want top notch work.

welcome.png and welcome to the madness

But you didn't say who the insurance provider was ?
Annapolis914
QUOTE(napasteve @ Aug 21 2015, 07:05 AM) *

Annapolis914, I just looked the eBay pics of your car. If the car is truly rust free, you should feel OK about the price. Looks pretty darn good to me.

Thanks Steve!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.