Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help (shifter bushing)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
I am changing my shifter bushings today and have all of them in except the firewall bushing. Do I need to take the shifter bar that runs from the shifter back to the firewall out to get that bushing in the firewall?
r_towle
Yes and no.

I guess it could be done with a pipe that fit over the front shifter bar , but the bushing needs to deform to get into place, so I think you may need to remove the rod all the way to allow the bushing to be snapped in.

Boil the bushing in water to make it pliable.
Bend it into place with a large screw driver
Drive it home with a socket
Brian_Boss
I do not think it's possible to force the bushing in around the shaft. You don't have to completely remove the shaft - just get it forward of the firewall. Once you remove the shifter, the shaft can easily go forward in the tunnel enough to install the bushing.

BTW, I second Rich's tips for actually installing the bushing. An old screwdriver with somewhat rounded edges is better. I have separate screwdrivers for actually driving screws and others that are prying/pushing/scraping/stabbing tools.
Vysoc
Boil the bushing for 3 minutes, grab it with a glove on and push it into place with your hand it softens it up that much.
It was so easy after I read a couple of other threads.

You will need to remove the shifter bar.

Boil it for 3 minutes...push it into place with your hand...done.

Vysoc flag.gif
RonnieJ
Thanks all, I got all the bushings replace today and what a difference in the shifting. I had so much play it was knick second and third and now it shifts beautifully.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.