Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Identify The Wheel.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tach
Need help identifying this set of wheels. What are they worth a set of 4 without tires? Someone is selling them and I am interested in purchasing them. Good condition.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(tach @ May 26 2015, 02:07 PM) *

Need help identifying this set of wheels. What are they worth a set of 4 without tires? Someone is selling them and I am interested in purchasing them. Good condition.

Click to view attachment

Those are either the MiniLite or repros of them. Look on the back for stampings for maker & date of mfgr. IIRC American is one of 2-3 mfgrs still making that style.

You can get prices of new ones online + some used - depending on which type they are (real/repro).

They're also popular on the VWs + Brit & Ital sports cars of the day, so you'll have a wide market.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rhodyguy
Ask for the back spacing. 5.5" wide?
Larry.Hubby
Those look like Empi wheels. Minilites have a different way the spokes merge into the center hub.
dlkawashima
Yes, they look like the Empi GT 8-spoke wheel sold by cip1.com, eBay, etc. Usually priced between $85 - $120 ea. new. Make sure you get the lug nuts to match.

Here's a used set on ebay right now ... BIN price of $190 plus shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Empi-Style-Wheels-...4-/261896658059

Click to view attachment
tomrev
For sure: EMPI's tons of them around from the VW bug's , etc.
bandjoey
VW backset. Sold mine when they rubbed the fender and I didn't want to pull the fender out. They look good on the car.
wndsnd
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 27 2015, 05:23 PM) *

VW backset. Sold mine when they rubbed the fender and I didn't want to pull the fender out. They look good on the car.

I agree - same with my car. Now they are gone. Sold with tires for $200.00
type47fan
Those are EMPI "style" wheels. Most likely made by American Eagle.

The easiest way to identify a genuine EMPI 8 spoke is to flip it over. They are 2 pieces bolted together with either an o-ring between the halves or run with tubes. Another feature is the attachment method for the center cap. It is the mag wheel style tab bosses. They also use special bushings and lug nuts.

The EMPI logo is cast into the web between the spokes opposite the valve stem.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
my American Eagle re-pros from mid 80's.

Click to view attachment
damesandhotrods
Those are Beetle wheels. They are a dime a dozen on The Samba. I’d only buy local on craigslist because if they’re used they’ll cost more to ship than they are worth…
rhodyguy
And they could be bent. Used wheels....
JRust
Be sure on backspacing as stated. There is a VW offset which suck. You'll be running super skinny tires to make them work. They do have some with a good offset for a 914 though. They look great on a 914 so I'd have no problem running the ones with the right offset. Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.