Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 with 5 lug wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver

I have a 72, 2.0 converted to 5 lug wheels. I assume the front end is from a 911 but how do I tell the vintage? I want to replace my front suspension bushings and I don't want to order the wrong ones. Is there an easy way to tell what I have? confused24.gif

Thanks guys.

Warrenoliver
Larmo63
Pictures might help.
wndsnd
5 lug wheels does not necessarily mean 911 suspension.

It could be a PMB type conversion.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 26 2015, 06:57 PM) *

Pictures might help.

I can take pics but it will help if I know what part of the suspension to take a picture of. I don't have a lift so a pic of the underside will be difficult. I can pop off one of the wheels and hope that will show enough detail.

ndfrigi
PMB 5 lug conversion kit:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
larryM
there were 3 different 911 front suspensions of the era that can be fitted - different lower ball joint attachment to control arm is the primary indicator, earliest 911 was crap but were cheap on market for el-cheapo minded converters

then there were 2 different brake caliper "ear" spacings - M & A" - measure those & you will have narrowed it down a lot

- go look at PMB website for much info

Eric_Shea
Need pictures.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 26 2015, 09:53 PM) *

Need pictures.

Here are a few I just tookClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Eric_Shea
911T struts.

M-Calipers and 20mm vented rotors

All 911 bearings will be the same from 65-89. You'll need two inner wheel bearings, two outer wheel bearings and two wheel seals.

Exact same as the 914-6

Hook up the through body bar while you're in there and ditch the under body bar. wink.gif
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 26 2015, 10:39 PM) *

911T struts.

M-Calipers and 20mm vented rotors

All 911 bearings will be the same from 65-89. You'll need two inner wheel bearings, two outer wheel bearings and two wheel seals.

Exact same as the 914-6

Hook up the through body bar while you're in there and ditch the under body bar. wink.gif

I'm looking for front bushings not bearings but thanks for the ID on the front end. beerchug.gif

You lost me on the through body bar comment. I have the under body bar that I know needs bushings also. Is that not the stock bar? Do I have a through body bar?

Thanks for the help.

Warren
effutuo101
From the pictures, the through body away is still installed. It looks like you just need drop links.
effutuo101
Away= sway bar
infraredcalvin
Blue underbody, red through body.

You'll need drop links as mentioned above and u tabs welded or bolted onto the top of the A arms.
Click to view attachment
warrenoliver
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 26 2015, 11:09 PM) *

From the pictures, the through body away is still installed. It looks like you just need drop links.

Man, nothing is simple! I hadn't even entertained the thought of messing with the sway bar other than replacing the bushings on that also. I wasn't aware that the car had the through body style.

Where do I get the drop links and associated hardware? If I use the through body sway bar, do I have to reinforce the sheet metal so I don't tear it if I do some autocross?

Guess I am learning more about the front suspension than I thought I would.
Blue6
Tarett engineering, San Diego, Ca
warrenoliver
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. beer.gif
effutuo101
I am very happy with my under sway bar. Less options, but less to stress about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.