Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: poltergiest in electrical
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
Was supposed to go out on a hot date with my wife today.... hopped in the teener, sun shining, looking foward to a run up the the North Shore of Vancouver....Nope.... headbang.gif
The key will start the the heater fan and lights but nothing else, I thought it might have somthing to do with the seatbelt being fastened(It was fastened) .....What relays should I be looking at... secondly when I put the fog light switch on the horn fuse frys....An all inclusive wire diagram would be great..... but where??? idea.gif

thanks guys biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
Here is a pic of the car being washed with my oldest boy Easton playing inside, he played around inside for over an hour while I washed it up....My little miracle boy....he has been a shade to close to the other side more than once....we are looking at surgery for him sometime this summer....He was born with a diaphragmatic hernia... thay gave him 50% odds of making it.....look at him now biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
here is another one of him he likes to take this car to bed with him....Hmmm
SirAndy
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Feb 21 2005, 09:23 PM)
The key will start the the heater fan and lights but nothing else

what year is the car?

if FI, turn off the heater, then listen for the fuel pump, it should come on when you turn the key. if the fuel pump doesn't build up pressure, check for the fuses on the relay board. then check for the pump relay. take it out and make sure the pins are not corroded and it fits snug. replace it with a known to be good spare (like a headlight motor relay) ...

if the fuel-pump runs, but the starter won't turn, turn the key and put a volt-meter on the wire on the starter and see if you get any current.

if not, it could be the seatbelt cutoff or the ingnition key or a wire connection at the relay board.

if you get current at the starter, make sure the starter has ground. did the tranny ground strap come off?

if the ground looks good, suspect the starter ...

hope this helps a bit,
wink.gif Andy
pete-stevers
Any suggestions on where to get a wire diagram.... idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Feb 22 2005, 09:26 AM)
Any suggestions on where to get a wire diagram.... idea.gif

haynes manual ...
Rand
Wiring diagrams at PP

I also have them assembled into PDFs at baldwinpowersports.com (under the References section).
Rand
I'll bet a beer it's the ignition switch. When I fixed my ignition switch it also exorcised some other electrical demons I was fighting (headlights weren't popping up, intermittant horn).

If it's completely dead, here's my 2 cents: Before you spend a bunch of time troubleshooting everything, put the car in neutral and stick a screwdriver on the main power terminal of the solenoid and slide it forward to tap the tip against the ignition terminal (yellow wire). photo here

If it cranks, you probably just ruled out the solenoid, starter, battery, battery connections, and ground strap in an instant.

IMHO, the seatbelt interrupt junk should be bypassed by finding the large yellow wires in the back of the cab/under passenger seat and splicing them directly together (preferrably soldering and sealing with heat shrink tubing). Then you have a solid run between the starter solenoid and your ignition switch.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.