Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA Dana Point Concours on June 14, 2015
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
siverson
I see Andy is already registered for full concours. Anyone else going?

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/eve...3D#.VWerJflVhBc

Although it's not really a concours car (I drive it a lot now! smile.gif ), I was thinking about entering my green 914-6 in the concours. It would push me to finish up the last few small things...

-Steve

Steve
I will be there, but I doubt my car will be running by then
Larmo63
I'll be there. I try to hide Speedy somewhere out front.
PlantMan
I would go but my sons Eagle Scout project is that weekend.
Hmmm.
Cuda911
I'll probably be there. Beware, Sara just attended Concours judge school and will be doing some aspect of the judging.

For a "reasonable" fee I will be willing to put in a good word for your car.
Tom_T
I'll be there judging too, but without the 914 since no real work done yet - let alone ready to show! sad.gif

... I'll probably have the now resto'd/refurb'ed 88 Westy there though! smile.gif

To those on the fence, we usually get a bunch of rare Porsches there in both display & entered, plus a number of great sponsors/vendors with lotsa goodies!

Last year Both Circle & Walter's Porsche had the new Macans there - 4 or 5 in all! Very nice Porsche car posing as a CUV!

We also may get that 918 Weissach that was at the Temecula Z8 CdE in January, since the owner sad he may come up from Carlsbad for it!

Temecula had an excellent 914 turn-out & everybody from the PCA-taildragger club & others commented on it!

So lets have a great turnout of 914s again, & display isn't that expensive considering the local parking situation.

If you folks are interested - I can check with the Chair to see if they can set aside a display area specifically for the 914s - if someone here is willing to get there early enough & "babysit" the 914/914world area to guide folks in & keep others out??

That person needs to be someone not entered & not judging, cuz that will take all their time.

Please email me if there is interest here & a volunteer "914 Wrangler" so I can contact the Chair for this aspect.

Plantman - GO!! It's your SON's Eagle Scout project - not yours, & he needs to do it himself! biggrin.gif

Mike/Cuda - you should enter your blue 914 in the concours!!

Others please enter too! ...& any of your P-cars will do! Do it for fun or more serious competition as suits your style.

FYI - make it easy on yourself by just doing the Wash-&-Shine div. (interior & exterior only is judged), which is the best for folks daily driving their 914s.

The next easiest divisions are Street & Preservation (min 75% original) - where ext/int/engine/storage (trunks or open) are judged - so more to clean, or Ubergang (for newer P-cars where engine is not judged due to lack of access).

Full Concours is hardest since it adds undercarriage - or the underside of the cars are judged - 1/2 with engine & 1/2 without engine - so 6 judges per team there for all 6 judged areas! This is best for fresh restos & garage queens - or masochists who want to flog themselves! biggrin.gif

SoCal Andy is doing Full Concours now to get his 914-6 "finished" as a top car, so his is a fresh resto which he drives, & then is a masochist to get ready! biggrin.gif There are a few other Full Concours entrants you drive their cars daily or at least regularly.

Anyone thinking of entering, go to the PCA Zone 8 website under the Concours area, as there are a bunch of How to Prep, informational & rules downloads on there to help you out as both first timers & experienced contestants. The various Concours Prep & Judging Schools offered around Zone 8 are really good too.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
siverson
hmmm. maybe ill just be lazy and do display then.
colingreene
Ill probably show up.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 29 2015, 09:44 AM) *

I'll be there judging too, but without the 914 since no real work done yet - let alone ready to show! sad.gif

... I'll probably have the now resto'd/refurb'ed 88 Westy there though! smile.gif

To those on the fence, we usually get a bunch of rare Porsches there in both display & entered, plus a number of great sponsors/vendors with lotsa goodies!

Last year Both Circle & Walter's Porsche had the new Macans there - 4 or 5 in all! Very nice Porsche car posing as a CUV!

We also may get that 918 Weissach that was at the Temecula Z8 CdE in January, since the owner sad he may come up from Carlsbad for it!

Temecula had an excellent 914 turn-out & everybody from the PCA-taildragger club & others commented on it!

So lets have a great turnout of 914s again, & display isn't that expensive considering the local parking situation.

If you folks are interested - I can check with the Chair to see if they can set aside a display area specifically for the 914s - if someone here is willing to get there early enough & "babysit" the 914/914world area to guide folks in & keep others out??

That person needs to be someone not entered & not judging, cuz that will take all their time.

Please email me if there is interest here & a volunteer "914 Wrangler" so I can contact the Chair for this aspect.

Plantman - GO!! It's your SON's Eagle Scout project - not yours, & he needs to do it himself! biggrin.gif

Others please enter too! ...& any of your P-cars will do! Do it for fun or more serious competition as suits your style.

FYI - make it easy on yourself by just doing the Wash-&-Shine div. (interior & exterior only is judged), which is the best for folks daily driving their 914s.

The next easiest divisions are Street & Preservation (min 75% original) - where ext/int/engine/storage (trunks or open) are judged - so more to clean, or Ubergang (for newer P-cars where engine is not judged due to lack of access).

Full Concours is hardest since it adds undercarriage - or the underside of the cars are judged - 1/2 with engine & 1/2 without engine - so 6 judges per team there for all 6 judged areas! This is best for fresh restos & garage queens - or masochists who want to flog themselves! biggrin.gif

SoCal Andy is doing Full Concours now to get his 914-6 "finished" as a top car, so his is a fresh resto which he drives, & then is a masochist to get ready! biggrin.gif There are a few other Full Concours entrants you drive their cars daily or at least regularly.

Anyone thinking of entering, go to the PCA Zone 8 website under the Concours area, as there are a bunch of How to Prep, informational & rules downloads on there to help you out as both first timers & experienced contestants. The various Concours Prep & Judging Schools offered around Zone 8 are really good too.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Recall on all the Spyders. Waiting on parts is what I hear from Donn. 10 days at least.
'73-914kid
I'll be there for the display. No way in hell I'm entering in the judges concours. I did it once, won, got my trophy, and will never do it again.
jim_hoyland
Possibly... Dana Point is a pretty cool site.

Does the PCA take the registration or is a 3rd party involved? tried to register....
sda4property@gmail.com
Will take over the turbo. The bee won't be done yet. Hopefully will get it out to the redrock event.
toolguy
Exclusive setting, last year well over 100 cars, and an impressive 1st class event throughout. Well organized. . . I'm just waiting to confirm weather forecast for the day.
sb914
QUOTE(toolguy @ May 31 2015, 03:16 PM) *

Exclusive setting, last year well over 100 cars, and an impressive 1st class event throughout. Well organized. . . I'm just waiting to confirm weather forecast for the day.

I'm gunna say no rain!
Tom_T
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 30 2015, 03:55 PM) *

Possibly... Dana Point is a pretty cool site.

Does the PCA take the registration or is a 3rd party involved? tried to register....

Registration is online with this server that all the PCA Regions seem to be using nowadays....

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-oc...83#.VWvRQlIYHYh

I think you can also order lunches too at that web link

... or just go offsite to the hotel restaurant next door or any of the tons of eateries around there at Dana Harbor area.

Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 30 2015, 03:38 PM) *

I'll be there for the display. No way in hell I'm entering in the judges concours. I did it once, won, got my trophy, and will never do it again.

IIRC Ethan, your 914 was a big hit at the Temecula one!

So if you do the display, please make sure to put the tie-in on a poster or something from the article on you/914 .... not really as a brag, but just so folks make the connection that they are seeing something from print in real life.

It's a ton of work to prep for judging, so your feelings are understandable. Nice job on your 914 - in all it's iterations! smilie_pokal.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cuda911
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 29 2015, 11:44 AM) *

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I'll probably bring the silver '74 instead of the blue '73. But, I may need to drive my folks up there, so if that's the case I'll be in the 996. I don't think I have enough Q-Tips to enter, though.
jim_hoyland
Registered today for display only; will be an early AM volunteer too. Let's get a mass 914 turnout; Dana Point is a terrific destination anyway

Cuda911
Yowza, $35 for a display-only registration. I wonder if I can pay at the door, since I won't know until the last minute whether I will be able to take the 914.
'73-914kid
Yes, in the past they have a $20 display entrance charge. That $35 includes a lunch. If you pay at the entrance thoygh, I don't think you can get a lunch At the event. That's not a huge deal though, as there are some awesome little cafes around the areas that have great lunch menus.
siverson
I registered for display only, too.

-Steve
Steve
Years ago you used to be able to park on the lawn for free if you were driving a Porsche. Now we have to pay to park on the lawn?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 1 2015, 07:41 PM) *

Years ago you used to be able to park on the lawn for free if you were driving a Porsche. Now we have to pay to park on the lawn?

Steve,

That was on the grass area before that little ravine/gully between the event area & the free grass parking. The display area is part of the overall show - some regions call it a "Corral".

So what you're paying for is to "officially" display your car within the event as a non-judged entry. I'd like to see them do a public voted "Peoples' Choice" Award for the Display cars - where everyone & everyone can vote for their favorite car. I'll suggest that to the chair for next time.

The city of Dana Point stopped the parking on that area last year IIRC, but it could be back again if the City allows it. So it wasn't PCA-OCR that stopped that.

Also, I think they should give a choice of Display with or without lunch to bring in more display cars (as opposed to just folks looking to park).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 1 2015, 07:32 PM) *

I registered for display only, too.

-Steve

So which one will your bring Steve? Last I recall you had 2-3.... idea.gif

See ya there! beerchug.gif
Tom
////////
siverson
> So which one will your bring Steve? Last I recall you had 2-3....

I'm down to 2, and only 1 running. So the Green 6:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=217713

-Steve
I'm attending via your posting
Tom_T
QUOTE(396 @ Jun 4 2015, 09:03 AM) *

I'm attending via your posting

That saves on gas & driving time! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 30 2015, 12:34 PM) *

Recall on all the Spyders. Waiting on parts is what I hear from Donn. 10 days at least.

Rob - was that the same recall that Donn told me about back in January when he came out to Temecla & he's still waiting?
confused24.gif
... or another one?

Tom
///////
Socalandy
See you guy's there biggrin.gif

Im under the car today to prep and its a lot of work when you drive your car. Im finding WCR sand driving.gif looking forward to the end of the season so i can just drive it and do a regular wash. Busy with the new job so its gotta get done today
Cuda911
I'm a bit confused on the Display Only fee.

The $35 Display fee includes lunch. Maybe I misunderstood, I thought Ethan said it's $20 at the gate there, but no lunch? Or is it still the same $35, but no lunch?

Personally, I don't want lunch, and 35 seems awful steep to just park.

siverson
You can pay $20 online just to park.

-Steve

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 7 2015, 10:42 AM) *

The $35 Display fee includes lunch. Maybe I misunderstood, I thought Ethan said it's $20 at the gate there, but no lunch? Or is it still the same $35, but no lunch?

Elliot Cannon

Sounds like a South Orange County event. lol-2.gif
Alphaogre
I will be meeting another teener at 7:30 Sunday Morning at the below address to head up. Let me know if anyone would like to come along. The more the merrier.

1779 Oceanside Blvd
Oceanside, CA 92054
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Starbucks...02af0a40eb456f9
siverson
> meeting another teener at 7:30 Sunday Morning

Sounds good - I'll try to make it.

-Steve
'73-914kid
Yepp, I'll try to meet you guys there as well.
Tom_T
I encouraged a few more teeners at the McQueen event last Sat. to come to this one too.

If Eddie does make it with his orange 6 - then we'd have 3 original sixes there - along with Andy's & Dave's.

I will bring my display sign from that event that we can repurpose the backside for a 914 parking area ... if the powers that be will allow that.

You folks coming & not showing or judging/volunteering should take lotsa pix to post here, cuz it's hard for us folks entered/volunteering to do pix too, since some cars leave by the time we get done.

McQueen was a huge turnout for those that didn't make it! blink.gif

Cheers!
Tom
///////
siverson
> If Eddie does make it with his orange 6 - then we'd have 3 original sixes there - along with Andy's & Dave's.

Hey - and mine! (so that's 4)

-Steve
Tom_T
If you scroll down to the 3rd event at this page, there's more info & links on the Concours at this link ....

http://www.pcaocr.com/?page=1

BTW - most of those events are free to attend & the Krispy Kreme (last on page above) & some others are always open to the public/non-members for anyone looking for something Porsche to do!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 8 2015, 10:10 AM) *

> If Eddie does make it with his orange 6 - then we'd have 3 original sixes there - along with Andy's & Dave's.

Hey - and mine! (so that's 4)

-Steve

Ooops! Sorry - true 4 6's .... that I know of!

Not sure if Eddie will enter or display though?

Dave & Andy will, as you read above.

TT
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jun 7 2015, 06:35 AM) *

See you guy's there biggrin.gif

Im under the car today to prep and its a lot of work when you drive your car. Im finding WCR sand driving.gif looking forward to the end of the season so i can just drive it and do a regular wash. Busy with the new job so its gotta get done today

Andy,

Call me if you need help prepping Saturday, since Jana is working so I can play hookie from the honey do list for a day! biggrin.gif

Tom
///////
eric9144
I was going to go up for this, but now am committed to work that day dry.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 8 2015, 09:58 AM) *

Sounds like a South Orange County event. lol-2.gif

It's nice grass with an ocean view. bootyshake.gif
Tom_T
Okay - so I emailed with the Concours Chair & they will try to set up an area as a "914 Corral" & he liked the idea & so may do ones for other models too.

Try to pre-register by Wed. for the event's online entry cut-off time - but display only continues to Sat IIRC & then at the gate on-site.

Those playing it by ear & planning to register at the gate if you can to come - please post here so I can give them an estimate by Fri pm or Sat am.

So far based upon the list of entries & display only - I'm guessing 2-3 entered in the concours + 5-10 display only & there are currently 6 (1 + 5 on the list at the link on Steve's/Siverson's post #1.

I think we had about that many come to the Jan. Zone 8 Concours with the 918 Weissach in display - but most were just visiting & with Andy T & Dave W entered & side-by-side.

Hey - if you don't want to "pay to display" - just come out anyway & visit with folks & see 200+/- cool Porsches .... usually including a Porsche Tractor with trailer giving kids rides for free! (courtesy of Mr. Buck of Cape Auto).

You just park on the street or little parking lot, or if those are all full park at the state park parking lot across the way at the bottom of the hill ($10 day use fee IIRC) & walk up the hill - usually plenty of spaces there.

Bunches of places to eat around Dana Point, & their mayor is a Porsche owner & PCA member, so she usually comes out to support the event too.

Elliot - yes, South OC prices, but I did make the pitch with the event's chair to go to $10 display only fee with optional lunch, like San Diego & some of the others do.

I'll be judging in group TBD, but I'll wear something 914-ish so folks can find me.

If anyone needs input, tips or whatever as a judged entry, feel free to PM or better yet email me & I'll help where/how I can.

And before some of the yea-hoos on here start posting sad pix of my 914 in its wrecked & unrestored state - NO it's not done yet & won't be there! dry.gif

See y'all there!
Tom
///////
Larmo63
I go early to get parking on the street, then walk down to The Brig for breakfast in the Dana Point Harbor area. Any other Teeners want to meet and chow?

Last year, I had just gotten Speedy running, and was embarrassed at what a POS I was driving compared to the nice cars there. This year, I have the car a bit more developed, but it is a work in progre$$.

My car isn't "show ready," but it is a fun event. I'll see some of you knuckleheads there.

Click to view attachment
sb914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 9 2015, 07:40 AM) *

I go early to get parking on the street, then walk down to The Brig for breakfast in the Dana Point Harbor area. Any other Teeners want to meet and chow?

Last year, I had just gotten Speedy running, and was embarrassed at what a POS I was driving compared to the nice cars there. This year, I have the car a bit more developed, but it is a work in progre$$.

My car isn't "show ready," but it is a fun event. I'll see some of you knuckleheads there.

Click to view attachment

Nice little quiver back there,I might show up,sea ya there hodad!
jim_hoyland

Click to view attachment

Bring your car to the display, it's worthy !
ndfrigi
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 9 2015, 08:46 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Bring your car to the display, it's worthy !

yup I second Jim! Lawrence ur car maybe not that perfect in the outside but the inside is 100% like the inside of your heart! Enjoy!
ndfrigi
oops Mark is not coming anymore!!!!
sb914
Can non pca members hide.gif display ?
Tom_T
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jun 9 2015, 05:20 PM) *

Can non pca members hide.gif display ?

I'm not sure .... try registering & if it asks for your member # then .....

It's still free to go hang out & drooley.gif

Also, PCA is only $46/ yr & the 12 Panorama + 12 Pando magazines (national & local) are worth it alone IMHO - plus a bunch of other free (drives, hang out @ Porsches & Coffee, etc.) - to minor cost - to pay for your meal - to fee to play events (e.g.: concours, AX, DE, TT, Racing, Rallies, etc.).

So it's not a huge expense & includes 2 members - you & ????

By comparison - BMW-CCA is more per year for 1 person @ $52 & with less local chapters ("Regions" in PCA) & less events, 12 month Roundel (national) & quarterly local magazines, + there is either the LA or San Diego chapters - apparently nobody in OC driver Beemers! dry.gif

Come anyway - either way! driving.gif

That's my 2 cents! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.