Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keep your CVs on where they belong
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
Would anyone be interested in having CV bolts with a regular allen head and the ability to be safety wired? So far everyone that I have mentioned this to has been positive about wanting a set for their car. What brought this about was the rash of CV separations due to bolts coming out last year or so. Many times I have also found loose bolts on cars that I have worked on just to tighten them and have them loosen up again. Having worked in the aviation industry, I am very versed and believe in safety wiring. This would be a solution to two major problems with the current set up:
-Loosening CV bolts
-Having to buy that damn tripple square tool

Prices to come when interest is expressed.

(My camera sucks dry.gif )
McMark
Sounds good. What about strength ratings? I thought the stock CV bolts stretched during install. confused24.gif

I'm not adverse to the stock CV bolt tool, but then again I own one, so it's not a problem. wink.gif
JB 914
i'm interested. mine were loose when i dropped my 4 a few months ago huh.gif
Dr Evil
I own one of the install tools also, but making things as universal as possible is much more intellegent IMHO. the strangth rating is the same if not greater. The ones now offered as replacements are stainless and shouldn't stretch for all I know. I brought the originals to a vendor and had him match the hardness for me. 8.8 if I am not mistaken. I like the safety wire thing b etter than stretch. I guess this would have the third bennefit of being reusable as well. smilie_pokal.gif

Oh ya, the holes in the bolts are for .041 stainless safety wire. Very thick and durable.
Dr Evil
I think that it would be best to sell these in lots. I don't feel like getting them contiguously. Rather, I would like to do groups. So, I think that I will end the first group at 10pm PST on Sun the 27th. Those who post interest first will get the first sets until all of the first orders are filled. Then I will do a second buy, etc.

Sound good?

I am gonna offer a set of 8 for $16. This will do your tranny side CVs, but for the outer drive sides you will need another 8.
machina
drilled.......
ArtechnikA
...I brought the originals to a vendor and had him match the hardness for me. 8.8 if I am not mistaken.

Oh ya, the holes in the bolts are for .041 stainless safety wire....

0.041" !?! you're not trying to secure a prop... 0.032" will be fine and much easier to work. for a 4,3mKg torque fastener, 0.025" would be just fine, but i use 0.032.

BTW - those are 12,9 fasteners. if you're getting 12,9 in stainless, i'm in for a few sets, especially if you can get them in 10mm.

i would not use an 8,8 in this application.
rhodyguy
i had been thinking along the same lines. sourcing the bolts and correct washers to sell in a package. one parts house gets $3.95 each for the stock bolts ohmy.gif . i image sourcing the proper washers is a pain for some members too. is the safety wire all that nessasary?

k
skline
Im in for a set Mike
JoeSharp
Hi Mike. I'll need a few, maybe 10 sets.
biggrin.gif Joe
Mark Henry
I doubt if our cars would get rusty rolleyes.gif

But almost everytime I've come across allen head bolts on a bus/bug, they strip out the head when you try to remove them.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 22 2005, 09:43 AM)
almost everytime I've come accross allen head bolts on a bus/bug, they strip out the head when you try to remove them.

yet another reason you need a 12,9 fastener in this application ...
GaroldShaffer
I'm interested in a set of 8 please.
drew365
I'll take a set.
Joe Bob
I made my own....for Wyld Thang....I'll take a set for Manfred....dulled to many drills the first time.
rhodyguy
why 8? do you mean sets?

k
Dr Evil
Good morning fellas! ArtechniKA, they are 12,9. I verified that after posting last night.

rhodyguy, 8 bolts in a set. 4/ side to attach the CV to the tranny flanges.

synthesisdv, that was what I had in mind when making these.

Joe Sharp, Are you serious? Wow.

I can get the wave washers if you all are interested, too.
dmenche914
I think the allen head bolt heads strip eaisier than the torx head, that is assuming the tool is fully seated. How about saftey wire ont he torx head bolt rather than allen?
GaroldShaffer
washers to please, might as well go for the whole thing.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Feb 22 2005, 10:43 AM)
I think the allen head bolt heads strip eaisier than the torx head, that is assuming the tool is fully seated. How about saftey wire ont he torx head bolt rather than allen?

just to avoid any confusion - these are never Torx...

they're either triple-square 12-point internal wrenching heads, or they're Allen (InHex) heads...
Joe Bob
Just curious...why go with an internal style fastener....is converting to an external hex head a bad thing?
machina
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2005, 10:42 AM)
synthesisdv, that was what I had in mind when making these.

better buy stock in the drill bit company, I broke about 3 new carbide bits just drilling these 8 bolts, and these are only 8.8 (i think, they are porsche parts)

I'll bet its even more difficult drilling 12.9 hardness.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Feb 22 2005, 11:02 AM)
I'll bet its even more difficult drilling 12.9 hardness.

it gets worse -- ever worked with stainless? the stuff work-hardens. if the bit skips even a little it becomes a real b!tch to recover. you almost need a full setup with a coolant/cutting oil pump.

i've had no problem drilling the OEM capscrews (tip: touch the side of the head with a grinding point in a Dremel tool to cut the surface hardening...) but i prefer to avoid working stainless when i can.

Mike - you *can* use an external wrenching fastener but there isn't a lot of room for a socket, and you have to look harder for proper strength bolts. there's an issue with bearing surface under the Schnorr washer too, i think ...
soloracer
I'm in for two sets.
Engman
I want a set but I will wait - These are gonna be tough to drill unless you have a super secret way of doing them. Great price - but watch your bit to bolt ratio......

M
iamchappy
Could they be waterjet or lasered confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
............ and they don't use "wavy" washers, either. The Cap'n
Dr Evil
A note, the new bolts are 50mm instead of 45mm like stock, but I checked them out and they are perfectly fine.

I wouldn't think that one would need the wavy washer if they were using safety wire. A regular flat washer would do just fine, but if anyone still wants some I can get them for $.15/ea. I am not sure if that is a good price or not for the galvanized wave washers, but they are what they are.
ArtechnikA
okay, Doc - this is what i want. let me know if it is not what you are able to supply:

1 shipset (16) M10 x 50mm grade 12,9 stainless (advise alloy) Allen capscrews,
each head drilled 1/16" for 0.032" safety wire, deburred.

1 shipset (16) M10 Schnorr washers.

you are shipping to 19438; advise total.
Dr Evil
ArtechnikA,
I am currently only doing the 8mm 12.9 stuff. I'll see if I can do that for you, but my vendor alerted me today that there is a shortage of metric hardware currently as China is buying all of it up. I am having fun sourcing the bolts for the first order. You only want 16, though, so it should not be too hard. I am not sure of the prices...I'll get back to you.

What method do you recommend for deburring? What is a Schnorr washer?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 23 2005, 01:28 PM)
...there is a shortage of metric hardware currently as China is buying all of it up.

What method do you recommend for deburring? What is a Schnorr washer?

interesting - China used to be where a lot of the metric hardware *came* from :-) ...

i'd think a touch with a carbide countersink would take the sharp edge off the hole. when i've done mine i just use the tip of a tree-pointed grinding burr in a Dremel tool and poke it gently in the hole.

a Schnorr washer is the name for the proper CV-bolt lockwasher. has a slight conical taper to it like a Belleville washer, and many log-spiral grooves. a la 999.523.102.02 which is the M8 914 CV lockwasher. (the M10 version is 999.523.103.01)

if you can pull this off i'll be glad to spread the word on the Rennlist 911 and Racing lists...
911 calls for two M10 lengths - 48mm like my car uses (50mm will fit fine) and 55mm. i can't tell from the ETKA the application for the longer CV. it could be a Sportomatic thing, it could be a 911S thing, it could be a later-year update thing. but i measured mine this morning and 50mm is what i need...
jwalters
biggrin.gif Hey Evil--how is it hangin there bud?? Looks like your havin a good time in your pic//////Schnorr washers are used on the falcons I work on--very hard to describe w/o a pic--also very expensive--but this is a jet so things are more $$$$

When everybody was having trouble--just curious here, were they using the ground wave lock washers which are supposed to be there??? I have never had a problem with them loosening up with these--but I have seen many cars w/o them with loose bolts...just wondering..J
machina
QUOTE (jwalters @ Feb 23 2005, 05:37 PM)
very hard to describe w/o a pic--also very expensive--but this is a jet so things are more $$$$

here ya go.....
ArtechnikA
Schnorr Washers three posts down in this thread; everything you'd need to know...

if it's worth knowing, it's probably been discussed here before :-)
Dr Evil
Still taking orders! icon_bump.gif
Type 4
8-45mm
Eric_Shea
2 sets for me...
Dr Evil
Type 4,
yikes, what are those for? Those don't look like 8mm bolts.
redshift
Whoa Steve! Those things look nutty!

M
Dr Evil
Picked up the bolts today to fill the first orders. I'll be contacting ya'll soon looking for da money.
Thanks! biggrin.gif
neo914-6
2 sets for me...
Dr Evil
Sorry Felix,
You'll have to post in the next offer when I can get some more. I cleaned the supplier out and they just had enough for the folks who ordered by the dealine. I'll let you know if I can scrounge an extra set.
Eric_Shea
I cleaned the supplier out and they just had enough for the folks who ordered by the dealine.

Did I miss something, like a "deadline" or a "contacting ya'll soon looking for da money"? confused24.gif

My post is about two down from the "Still taking orders" post... biggrin.gif

Let me know...
neo914-6
Sorry, didn't see the Feb 27th deadline. How about selling me 20 crush washers?
Dr Evil
Eric,
On pg 1 I posted
So, I think that I will end the first group at 10pm PST on Sun the 27th

That is what I am talking about. You put your request in on the 25th so you are in the first batch. When I get them made up this weekend I will solicit all of you for $$$. I don't want to ask for cash until I have product in hand and finished. Until then, I will foot the bill for the pieces.

Sorry if I confused you.
Gint
When's the next batch comin? I'll gaurantee purchase of 2 sets.
Dr Evil
As soon as I get these out I will see when I can get another batch. I could take orders now, but I have no idea when they will be available. The main problem I have is that if it takes too long to get the bolts then some folks may change their mind thus leaving me with bolts and a proffit loss. I think that I will do the next one with in two weeks of filling this one. So far, though, I only seem to need to find 5 more sets. If I can I will.

LvSteveH
I'm in for FOUR sets (32 bolts) in the second batch, just let me know when to send the $, no hurry. Thanks

Dr Evil
Will do, but actually 1 set is 8 bolts, so you will be needing 4 sets. All prices are in the first part of this thread with all of the other information that you may need. Any more questions, just ask wavey.gif
LvSteveH
Thank for confirming, I saw the pricing and knew it would be $64 (assuming your costs don’t change) I did edit my post though! I hope you have a drill doctor bit sharpener, that's got to be tearing them up.... thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.