Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good price on a 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
matthepcat
Sharing the love. bye1.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-914-6-...em=191588306773

Cairo94507
Yet another fine example at a good price. GLWTS
iankarr
Considering this car. although it's more than I want to spend, I like that it's a 6 and doesn't look like I'd need to pump more cash into the car to enjoy it...

Thoughts?
somd914
QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 31 2015, 11:15 AM) *

Considering this car. although it's more than I want to spend, I like that it's a 6 and doesn't look like I'd need to pump more cash into the car to enjoy it...

Thoughts?

A day and half left on bidding, and as most auctions go, the price will surely increase significantly as the deadline approaches...
matthepcat
agree.gif

It will be a fun car and worth it for under $25k.

That engine is probably worth 10k alone without the carbs.

mepstein
Too much shill bidding on eBay. Not so much from individual sellers but still leaves me cold for buying cars on eBay.
gcrotvik
Winning bid: $19,201.00. A good deal indeed.
matthepcat
Way cheap. I thought it would hit $25

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jun 2 2015, 10:59 AM) *

billh1963
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jun 2 2015, 01:59 PM) *

Very good deal. If the car checks out rust free you have the best of both worlds....a nicely converted 6 and a '73 2.0 chassis.
outbound
I was the winning bid on this auction, the deal fell through unfortunately. I wanted to update the group on what transpired.

The car looks like an honest car, not much rust or much damage. I have more pictures that I had him take for me as I was trying to complete the sale with out going out to Boise.

The issue was with the title. I got great pics of the car, but the title pic was pretty blurry. But I was able to read enough of it to see that it wasn't in the seller's name, but someone else's. It was signed by the owner and notarized in Jan 2015 with all of the buyer information blank. It was also a Montana title with the car titled in Billings and the seller lives in Idaho. When I questioned this, here's the response with owner's name removed.

I thought I explained this all to you prior to the auction end. I'm sorry if I did not. I'm selling the car for XXX's wife. They had some family emergencies come up and so they asked me to come get the car at Thanksgiving. I picked it up New Year's Day and brought it to Idaho to sell for her. XXXX bought the car in 1995 from a guy in Sheridan, Wyoming. His name is John Small (he's sort of well known in the Porsche world). Anyway, the car was previously owned by a guy that was killed and John ended up with it. XXX had a BMW that John really wanted and XXX took the Porsche on a trade for it. Then XXX converted it to a 6 cylinder with the help of Murray (I can't recall his last name). He's a Porsche mechanic from Laguna Hills, CA. That was in 1996. In 1997 I left Montana to come to Idaho because I was laid off. I've been in ID since. We'd visit Montana 1-2 times year over the years until our kids got older. XXX and his wife also had kids and he went through a lot of jobs. The Porsche sat in the corner of their garage with a cover on it since 2005/2006. XXXX was not able to fix the little things it needed (like a fuel pump, swap in the stock fuel tank, etc...) to get it ready for sale. So he asked me if I'd do it. I've known him since High School and we'd been through a lot together so of course I agreed because that is what friends do. He also said Boise would be a better market for it than Montana. I'm not sure if that is true or not. I can run down to the DMV and transfer the title to my name and get a title in my name. If I were buying the car from XXXX that is what I'd legally have to do it. However since I'm just selling it for him I do not have to do it. And the reason I haven't transferred it to my name is that I'll have to pay the state of Idaho taxes on XXXX's original purchase which amounts to just under $700. I know because I looked into it. Do you want me to have you send the money directly to XXX's wife? That would be another alternative. It makes no difference to me. Anyway, I apologize as I was certain I had explained this to you prior to auction end. The last day of the auction I was quickly hammering out emails to multiple potential buyers. And where I got confused is some were coming via text messages, some via email, and some through Ebay. I know I think I sent the same answers to some potential buyers 3 different ways.

I didn't find this out until the Sunday after the auction ended on Monday. I already had transport scheduled to pick it up on Wed. I google John Small Porsche, and of course, tons came up, but this was one of them. At this point, I was a little freaked out. I Googled the owner on record and from what I could tell, he didn't even live in MT anymore. I tried to email him and left a message at a number that I found for a business that was in his name with no response. I googled the seller and found his LinkedIn page and his background seemed to check out. The title was issued to the owner in 1995, so it wasn't a quick title wash or flip. The seller was offering to make good with the title and he seems like a good guy, so I was prepared to fly out there, check everything and see for myself if the deal was real and go through with it.

At that point I told him that I'd feel more comfortable using Escrow.com to handle the transactions to protect both of us and that I'd like to speak with the owner since they were friends. He then backed out, canceled the sale and refunded my deposit with the message "I don't think I can ever win your trust. I don't think this is going to work out." I tried to see what the deal was, but his reply was basically that "He was done dealing with me", I'd taken up too much of his time, was asking for too much, wasn't agreeing to the original terms... He says he's going to keep the car and that it isn't for sale.

I know this is common practice with titles so that they don't pay taxes or have to apply for a dealer license, but his reaction and story made me question it, especially with the Rennlist post. I was pretty bummed about it as it looked like a good car and I was pretty excited about getting it. Who knows, maybe I got lucky and avoided a scam.

There are of course 2 sides to every story, but I don't think my wanting to use Escrow.com which is what Ebay recommends is grounds for backing out of a deal. Maybe I'm wrong...

*EDIT: VIN is 4732919866 1973 Signal Orange. It'll be interesting to see if it turns up somewhere else. He was in contact with the 2nd place bid, so I wouldn't be surprised if he offers it to them. Hopefully it all goes down fine.
mepstein
QUOTE(outbound @ Jun 8 2015, 02:45 PM) *

I was the winning bid on this auction, the deal fell through unfortunately. I wanted to update the group on what transpired.

The car looks like an honest car, not much rust or much damage. I have more pictures that I had him take for me as I was trying to complete the sale with out going out to Boise.

The issue was with the title. I got great pics of the car, but the title pic was pretty blurry. But I was able to read enough of it to see that it wasn't in the seller's name, but someone else's. It was signed by the owner and notarized in Jan 2015 with all of the buyer information blank. It was also a Montana title with the car titled in Billings and the seller lives in Idaho. When I questioned this, here's the response with owner's name removed.

I thought I explained this all to you prior to the auction end. I'm sorry if I did not. I'm selling the car for XXX's wife. They had some family emergencies come up and so they asked me to come get the car at Thanksgiving. I picked it up New Year's Day and brought it to Idaho to sell for her. XXXX bought the car in 1995 from a guy in Sheridan, Wyoming. His name is John Small (he's sort of well known in the Porsche world). Anyway, the car was previously owned by a guy that was killed and John ended up with it. XXX had a BMW that John really wanted and XXX took the Porsche on a trade for it. Then XXX converted it to a 6 cylinder with the help of Murray (I can't recall his last name). He's a Porsche mechanic from Laguna Hills, CA. That was in 1996. In 1997 I left Montana to come to Idaho because I was laid off. I've been in ID since. We'd visit Montana 1-2 times year over the years until our kids got older. XXX and his wife also had kids and he went through a lot of jobs. The Porsche sat in the corner of their garage with a cover on it since 2005/2006. XXXX was not able to fix the little things it needed (like a fuel pump, swap in the stock fuel tank, etc...) to get it ready for sale. So he asked me if I'd do it. I've known him since High School and we'd been through a lot together so of course I agreed because that is what friends do. He also said Boise would be a better market for it than Montana. I'm not sure if that is true or not. I can run down to the DMV and transfer the title to my name and get a title in my name. If I were buying the car from XXXX that is what I'd legally have to do it. However since I'm just selling it for him I do not have to do it. And the reason I haven't transferred it to my name is that I'll have to pay the state of Idaho taxes on XXXX's original purchase which amounts to just under $700. I know because I looked into it. Do you want me to have you send the money directly to XXX's wife? That would be another alternative. It makes no difference to me. Anyway, I apologize as I was certain I had explained this to you prior to auction end. The last day of the auction I was quickly hammering out emails to multiple potential buyers. And where I got confused is some were coming via text messages, some via email, and some through Ebay. I know I think I sent the same answers to some potential buyers 3 different ways.

I didn't find this out until the Sunday after the auction ended on Monday. I already had transport scheduled to pick it up on Wed. I google John Small Porsche, and of course, tons came up, but this was one of them. At this point, I was a little freaked out. I Googled the owner on record and from what I could tell, he didn't even live in MT anymore. I tried to email him and left a message at a number that I found for a business that was in his name with no response. I googled the seller and found his LinkedIn page and his background seemed to check out. The title was issued to the owner in 1995, so it wasn't a quick title wash or flip. The seller was offering to make good with the title and he seems like a good guy, so I was prepared to fly out there, check everything and see for myself if the deal was real and go through with it.

At that point I told him that I'd feel more comfortable using Escrow.com to handle the transactions to protect both of us and that I'd like to speak with the owner since they were friends. He then backed out, canceled the sale and refunded my deposit with the message "I don't think I can ever win your trust. I don't think this is going to work out." I tried to see what the deal was, but his reply was basically that "He was done dealing with me", I'd taken up too much of his time, was asking for too much, wasn't agreeing to the original terms... He says he's going to keep the car and that it isn't for sale.

I know this is common practice with titles so that they don't pay taxes or have to apply for a dealer license, but his reaction and story made me question it, especially with the Rennlist post. I was pretty bummed about it as it looked like a good car and I was pretty excited about getting it. Who knows, maybe I got lucky and avoided a scam.

There are of course 2 sides to every story, but I don't think my wanting to use Escrow.com which is what Ebay recommends is grounds for backing out of a deal. Maybe I'm wrong...

*EDIT: VIN is 4732919866 1973 Signal Orange. It'll be interesting to see if it turns up somewhere else.

You did the right thing. Better to loose a good deal than to loose a ton of $$$
wes
agree.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 8 2015, 03:31 PM) *

You did the right thing. Better to loose a good deal than to loose a ton of $$$

Indeed. Me thinks he dodged a bullet on that one.
sixnotfour
Family hush money keeps him buying 911's and etc he will drive Miles upon miles to buy Porsche things..rare a sale works out
outbound
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 8 2015, 02:49 PM) *

Family hush money keeps him buying 911's and etc he will drive Miles upon miles to buy Porsche things..rare a sale works out

I don't think that John Small actually had anything to do with this car other than he sold it to the owner on record back in 1995 according to the seller. It was that when I googled him, that Rennlist thread came up with the title of:

BEWARE: DO NOT BUY ANY CARS FROM SHERIDAN,WY or BILLINGS,MO

This car was registered in Billings. I read that thread, and it somewhat seemed like the buyer didn't do his due diligence and got burned. So I wanted to make sure that I did mine and started trying to track down the guy on the title. I'm not sure if that's what set this guy off or the escrow thing as he claimed. All I know is that my deposit was shortly refunded and I was told that "He was done with me".

Again, I'm not sure this was some kind of scam. Could be totally legit and be a great deal for someone. Like I said, I was still willing to take a flight and see for myself until he pulled the plug.
Cairo94507
As far as I am concerned you did the right thing all day long. His lengthy "story" about how he came to be selling the car, all the gratuitous personal facts, scream scammer. The fact they refused an escrow company to handle the money...believe me you dodged a big bullet and tons of headache.
Montanamike
This is interesting. I am XXX in the sellers explanation. His facts were dead on and he is completely honest. You missed out on a great car.

I have pics of him picking it up on new years day. Too bad the world has been ruined by so any bad apples. Makes the honest ones look bad too.

Cheers
rjames
mepstein
Thread is 5 years old.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Montanamike @ Dec 19 2021, 02:50 AM) *

This is interesting. I am XXX in the sellers explanation. His facts were dead on and he is completely honest. You missed out on a great car.

I have pics of him picking it up on new years day. Too bad the world has been ruined by so any bad apples. Makes the honest ones look bad too.

Cheers

welcome.png , that is interesting, and so true the bad ones spoil it, too bad you couldnt have posted back then to clear up some of the misinformation surrounding the deal. Are you currently a 914 owner?
Cracker
lol-2.gif av-943.gif

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2021, 01:39 PM) *

Thread is 5 years old.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.