Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly OT: Car stereo / Amp question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Howdy folks. I'd love to tell you I just did something outrageous to the teener, but alas, it sits in my garage, awaiting Spring. JUST DROVE IT LAST WEEK WITH THE TOP OFF...... but it got cold again sad.gif

I did however, finally complete the Stereo in the RSX.

Pioneer 8300 Head unit (fold-down face)

Sony 600W 4-channel amplifier
4 x 6.5 3-way pioneer speakers (inside)

Sony 1200W 2-channel amplifier
2 x 10 MTX 300W subwoofers (box in trunk)

Question: The guy that installed my subs just this past weekend HIGHLY recommended I install a "1 Farad" capacitor on my subwoofer amplifier. He recommended I use one on the 4-channel amp as well.

1. How much danger is my alternator in? Will it last a year? Or a week?

2. Should I get 2 capacitors? Or just one?

3. Can I get one "big" capacitor, and run both amps?

4. Any other suggestions???? What would you do with my setup??

Thanks!!!!

Matt
CptTripps
Adding a cap won't hurt the alternator...it's just there to 'store' energy till the amp needs it. Think of it as a holding tank...it can suck power from the battery faster than the amp can, and the amp can get it faster from the cap than it can from the amp. (Did that makse sense?)

Adding a 1F will give you a little more 'punch'...2 may not do all that much more.

I've never seen any issues with longevity...I had one in a car for 3yrs.

ninefourteener
No no no no no...... I think I must have said it wrong.

What I meant was: Is NOT having a capacitor going to hurt my alternator??

Do I really need one? I'm perfectly happy with the stereo, it'll blow my eyes out if I turn it up.

Do I need a capacitor??
914GT
I think for most installations you're better off going to a heavier gauge wire from your amp back to the battery. The theory behind the capacitor is that it looks like a local source of charge for the amp which means it needs to be located immediately next to the amp for it to do any good, like what CptTripps said. Sort of like putting the battery right next to the amp for those high current peaks when the amp needs it. The cap helps 'neutralize' the loss in the 12V wiring due to resistance and inductance. But it needs both the ground and +12V leads short and fat between it and the amp to be effective. Caps can be dangerous. When discharged at initial power-up they look like a short circuit and have high inrush current. When charged up, don't accidently short the terminals as they can dump a lot of energy all at once. Treat it just like the terminals on a car battery. Oh, it won't hurt the alternator by not having one.
CptTripps
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Feb 22 2005, 09:06 AM)
I'm perfectly happy with the stereo....Do I need a capacitor??

Stick with what you have then...You aren't missing anything.

The only thing that'll happen is you'll loose $200 and still be able to 'pop your eyes out'.

Enjoy...
ninefourteener
Thats cool..... I've just heard that if I'm running this much power to the subs, I could damage my alternator.

So my alternator will be ok?? confused24.gif
CptTripps
Your alternator should be just fine...but NO different than if you had a cap in there...

Go to a car Audio place and ask...but NOT the one that you bought everything from. Go to BestBuy and talk to those guys. They aren't on commission and usually tell you like it is...
TravisNeff
You can always run a 1 farad cap and ground it to the body and then put the + to a mercury switch for a theft deterrent system. You might need a spatula to remove the fried old lady that bumped into the car putting her groceries away. JUST KIDDING.. laugh.gif
McMark
If your headlights dim when the bass hits, a cap can help that. Have you heard of an Accusump for your engine? A cap does the same thing for your stereo. Extra power when needed.

The harder your alternator works, the sooner it will die. A cap doesn't make anything work harder, it actually makes the alternators job easier during large bass hits. If you don't listen to your stereo turned up to 11 all the time, no problems. But if you run your stereo at high volumes with large bass for long periods of time, then you might have a problem.

The "good" news is that if you kill your alternator, you know it's too small and you can replace it with a high amp alternator, instead of a stock one. wink.gif
ninefourteener
If I turn the stero up as loud as it will clearly go, the headlights do dim a little, but at that volume, I can only stand it for a little while, because my chest starts to hurt, and snot starts running out of my nose from the vibration.--LOL

Most of the time, I just listen to it at a reasonable level. Ok, maybe slightly louder, but not rediculous.

The reason I'm so concerned is because I have a 12-hour drive to Baltimore coming up in less than a month. Last thing I wanted was to be stuck on the side of the road with a killer stereo system, in a car that doesn't run.

Based on what everyone has said. I think I'll just stick with what I've got.

Thanks all beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.