Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to Document my Survivor 1973 2.0L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
914Next
I've been thinking I should start sharing the history and pics of Sara and my 914 for quite a few months now. I've hesitated because I'm not great with pics and don't have unlimited time. Finally decided to start posting and hope you all will be patient and that this may take a while.

Some of you have heard of and been involved in my story which started last July in a search for a 914. I'm not one who can say I have been committed to this quirky car for 40+ years. I admire you original owners and those who know these cars (literally) inside out. I'm a lover of vintage cars and have owned many but not a mechanic. Over the past few years, Sara and I have really gotten into survivor/preservation cars. Love to see a car that remains unchanged other than the patina and wear that comes with 40+ years.

Long story short….after developing an interest in Porsche's over the past 7 years or so, I started thinking about that quirky 914 that I used to see driving around Fond du Lac WI in the 70's. Any Porsche in Fond du Lac was a rare thing and as a teenager this one got my attention. That thinking turned to an obsession and last July we got a bug up our butts (actually it was me, not Sara, but she fortunately loves old cars too so she accepted that another would likely be on its way to us) to look for an original 914. After looking at a few -6's and posting of my interest in an original 914 on 914World, I received a PM from a guy in Minneapolis who had, two months earlier, purchased a 45k mile 1973 Bahia red 2.0 from the original owner. Erik, the 2nd owner and his father are Porsche enthusiasts. They had heard about the car being for sale through the local Barber who happened to cut the hair of the original owner also. Erik told me that he of course knew a good thing when he saw it and originally had planned to keep it as a family summer car. After getting it home and really pouring over it, however, he realized that this car was much too pristine to use it in that way. Not needing another garage queen, Erik decided to sell, saw my post, and after several weeks of discussion and negotiation the car was in an enclosed trailer and on its way to Atlanta.

Here are a few pics that Erik took. He took some great pics (and many of them) so I'll likely use quite a few of those here in documenting the car.

SteveClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Next
Maybe I should start with the story.

The car was purchased by a Neurologist in a suburb of Minneapolis in July 1973 as a gift to himself as he completed his schooling and started his practice. Jim is retired now and decided that, at 78 years old, it was time to lighten his load a bit. I've communicated quite a bit with Jim. He's a great guy. And, my interaction with him just reminded me that there are many 914 owners out there who likely know nothing of 914World but who have been and remain committed to their cars for many years.

Rather than tell you the story that he told me, I'll attach copies of a few of our communications. I was basically looking for confirmation of mileage, accident history, paint work, and comments as to his ownership of the car.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
While Jim says in his letter that he was not the best at keeping documents, I think he did a great job! I have most of the receipts since new. The car also came with the original owners manual, address change cards, radio and emissions pamphlets and maintenance log. Jim also tracked all of his oil changes and service with mileage at each. I'll share a cool story and pics about some other documents a bit later.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
As Jim mentions in his letter, the car is as close to 100% original as one might be able to expect after 42 years. Jim kept all receipts and Erik, the guy I bought the car from summarized all of the maintenance items in a word doc that I've since decided to continue. You can see the additions since my ownership.

Jim used the car more frequently in the early years and almost not at all in the past 10-15 years.

You can see that the PDI was completed on June 22 1973. In fact there is still a door jam sticker on the driver door showing this. Coincidentally, this was the date of my 16th Birthday! How cool is that?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
Thought I'd finish the comments on documentation. Cool story that some of you heard about.

When I purchased the car, it did not come with original purchase documents. In conversations with Jim, he had told me that he was disappointed that he did not have those and didn't even recall ever getting the window sticker, invoice, etc. His comment was that perhaps they just did business differently back then and did not provide them.

Then, out of the blue about 3-4 weeks ago Jim commented again in an email that he was disappointed that he did not have the original purchase docs. Apparently after sending me that email, he was bothered enough to dig through files again. After 42 years!! About 30 minutes later he emailed me again saying that he had found copies of the cancelled checks for the deposit and full cash payment upon delivery. Jim sent copies of this to me. While I was still reeling from my good fortune in having an original owner who cared enough to look for these documents so many years later, I received another email with Jim elatedly telling me that he had located copies of the original invoice, purchase order, mileage certification and window sticker. I was shocked. You can see from the pics that they look perfect. The window sticker looks so good it almost looks fake. I owe Jim something but I just haven't figured out what just yet.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Next
Was pleased that the car also came with the original jack and tool roll…complete with the black rubber band…as well as two sets of original keys with antenna keys, the leather holder and inventory tag.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
The Spare tire and wheel are original…Continental Schlauchlos. As jim mentions it was on the ground once when he flatted near his cottage and used the spare to get home.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=502
824]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
Will send a few pics of the vin, chassis and other body tags.

The car is in amazing condition. I fairly constantly have people ask me about the restoration. They can't believe when I tell them it is original. The car definitely has scratches and blemishes but overall is just pristine in my view. It's not concours…and I'm not sure I ever want to try to make it concours. I like it just like it is…maybe a bit cleaner on the underside.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
Will add some pics of the glass and then maybe call it a day. You can see a bit of delimitation in the corners of the windshield.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=502
841]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Next
A few more pics of the exterior before I take it inside and underneath.

The paint is really good. There are a few areas that have been touched up due to stone chips and one very minor bubble that I touched up in the corner of the drivers door jamb. The area that was repaired at the passenger front turn signal in 1990 is a small area about 12-16 inches in diaper around the side indicator. Its a very good repair considering they only resprayed a small portion of the the quarter panel. I took a paint gauge to the whole car and the repainted area seems to be just the area around the turn signal. I'll include a pics of that spot.

Chrome and bumpers look real good.

849]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=502853]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Next
The Wheels….

The car made it out of the dealer with all five Fuchs intact. I guess the good midwest boys may have been a bit more honest back in the day and didn't make off with the original Fuch spare. All of the wheels are original and dated 4/73. They have not been polished or refinished. No curb rash but they do have some light marring and stains from years of use. The center caps are original and in great shape. Not sure why weights were used on the outside on a couple of wheels. Need to change that.

Of course you can't miss the green paint on the lugs. You saw in Jim's letter that I asked him about that and he said that he guessed it never really bothered him so he left it. I have seen green on other owners lugs but the factory or service guy went a little wild with the paint! There is green paint on every lug. I've chosen to leave it on since it is part of this cars history.

I've heard two stories on the green paint. One is that this was put on at the factory to show the wheels were torqued appropriately. The other is that as part of the BO recall on the fuchs related to a flaw with some wheels related to positive centering of the rims, the lugs were supposed to daubed with green paint after being checked for a problem. I've attached a pic of part of that recall that mentions the green paint.

I guess I believe the BO recall story over factory torquing.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=502
863]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Next
And now for the Frunk. Again, credit goes to Erik for almost all of these pics. He took them in order to convince a guy like me to buy the car and now I get the benefit of using them and not needing to take more. You will see a bit of dirt in places and marking from the tire in the Frunk. I've since done quite a bit of detailing and it looks even better.

What amazed me was the condition of the wiring harness, the plastic plugs and trim that looks new, and the amazing condition of all the cad plated items. Lock mechanisms, nuts and bolts were in great condition.

872]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=502876]Click to view attachment
914Next
More Frunk pics. Notice the white paint and bent over washer on the shock mount verifying the shocks have never been removed. Gas tank, expansion tank, charcoal canister, break reservoir all in really good condition. The strap that holds the brake fluid reservoir is a bit rusty but that is the only thing I can see.

Happy to take pics if anyone wants to see specific areas.

883]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=502887]Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
Decided to clean the rain tray and took a few pics of the engine lid. You can see a factory inspection sticker on the underside of the lid.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Next
Gratuitous gas station pic

Click to view attachment
oldschool
Looks just like mine......NOT happy11.gif
914Next
QUOTE(oldschool @ May 30 2015, 08:28 PM) *

Looks just like mine......NOT happy11.gif

Yeah, I'm thrilled with my dumb luck at finding this car. It's a bit sad though when I think that Jim, the original owner, realized it was time to let it go. My wife has a '68 mustang california special that was a one owner car prior to us and is all original. We named it Walter after the original owner (There is a bizarre story on Walter that some of you may have read about. Glad to mention that if anyone is interested). The history on these cars is so much of the appeal to me.

Perhaps the '73 needs to be called "James". Seems a fitting tribute.

A pic of Walter.

Click to view attachment
914Next
Back to "James"

The Trunk area is as clean as the Frunk. The rubber mat is curling and cracking. I've tried to use Wurth's rubber preservative on it but not sure that this will help much. I've done some basic cleaning and touched up scratches and there were a few spots where the paint was cracking…seems like there are spots in the truck where there were very small bubbles in the paint which, over time, cracked and the paint fell off.

965]Click to view attachment
914Next
More detail of the trunk. Was surprised that the white plastic pieces and plugs had not yellowed over the years. You can also see inspection stickers in a couple pics. And again, the hardware was in really nice shape.

972]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=502976]Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
thumb3d.gif popcorn[1].gif
914Next
Will get a start on the interior.

Overall the interior is in excellent condition. A scratch in the seat bottom of the driver's seat from the E-brake handle . Some of the basket weave on the dash face was pulling up a bit but I used some rubber cement to tack that back down. The sun visors are starting to show the usual sag but not bad.

mepstein
Beautiful car.
Andyrew
Wowzers! Great documentation!!
francar
clap56.gif great
914Sixer
Nothing better than showroom condition !!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
914Next
Thanks, guys. I'll try to add more areas of the car over time. Hopefully some of this might be helpful to those doing restorations or questioning original aspect of these cars. Always happy to provide pics of specific areas if requested.

Steve
Pat Garvey
Sigh!
914Next
[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='Jun 8 2015, 07:48 PM' post='2196404']
Sigh!
[/quote

Pat, I really admire the fact that you are the original owner of your car. To me that is really impressive!

Steve
Pat Garvey
[quote name='914Next' date='Jun 9 2015, 07:40 AM' post='2196624']
[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='Jun 8 2015, 07:48 PM' post='2196404']
Sigh!
[/quote

Pat, I really admire the fact that you are the original owner of your car. To me that is really impressive!

Steve
[/quote]
I'm trying REALLY hard to get reinterested. Maybe....maybe
euro911
Hope you're feeling better these days, Pat aktion035.gif

Awesome acquisition, Steve thumb3d.gif
914Next
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 10 2015, 12:24 AM) *

Hope you're feeling better these days, Pat aktion035.gif

Awesome acquisition, Steve thumb3d.gif

Thanks. Hope these pics help those who are looking for info on original aspects of these cars.
914Next
Took a few engine compartment pics today and thought I would share those.

Insulation pad is in really nice shape.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Paint stampings
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Battery cover installed as part of the recall. Also note the orange strap bolted to the ECU box. I'm told these are long gone in many cars. Hell hole is very clean. Engine compartment paint is original
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Miscellaneous pics
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Love your car wub.gif
914Next
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 10 2015, 05:41 PM) *

Love your car wub.gif

Thanks Cairo.
SKL1
What a great find! Obviously never driven in the Minnesota winters!! And he must have stored it with the battery out.
Keep it original for sure!!! Only original once...

Looks like it was a clone to my '73, but can't say my '73 is anywhere near original anymore!
JeffBowlsby
Terrific documentation of a beautiful 914.

Noticed the black plastic threshold plates, interior door latch bezels and side window winders...those are 1974 model year features. Factory must have used 1974 model year items because this is a late VIN 1973 car, do not recall seeing another 1973 with these features.
914Next
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jun 21 2015, 09:35 PM) *

What a great find! Obviously never driven in the Minnesota winters!! And he must have stored it with the battery out.
Keep it original for sure!!! Only original once...

Looks like it was a clone to my '73, but can't say my '73 is anywhere near original anymore!

Thanks. I'm enjoying the car but can only take credit for some clean-up and commitment to future caretaking.
914Next
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 22 2015, 03:20 PM) *

Noticed the black plastic threshold plates, interior door latch bezels and side window winders...those are 1974 model year features. Factory must have used 1974 model year items because this is a late VIN 1973 car, do not recall seeing another 1973 with these features.

Thanks Jeff. I had heard questions about the plastic threshold plates and original style rivets but I had not heard anything about window crank handles or door latch bezels. Was the bezel chrome previously?

Very interesting to see what the factory did in some of these situations. Happy to provide other info or pics if you ever need it.

Steve
dlkawashima
QUOTE(914Next @ Jun 22 2015, 01:07 PM) *

Thanks Jeff. I had heard questions about the plastic threshold plates and original style rivets but I had not heard anything about window crank handles or door latch bezels. Was the bezel chrome previously?

Very interesting to see what the factory did in some of these situations. Happy to provide other info or pics if you ever need it.

Steve

Those 3 features pointed out by Jeff - the black plastic threshold plates, interior door latch bezels and side window winders - are the same as my car, which was built in June '73.

The feature that puzzles me about your car (I might have mentioned this already) are the white headlight surrounds. I don't know when the switch was made to black surrounds but I've read that it took place mid model year and coincided with the switch to black plastic threshold plates. I couldn't find a picture of your compliance sticker but if I did my math right, your car was built April 26th, 1973 ... 9 months into the model year. I guess it once again shows how the running changes can be difficult to pin down to a specific date.
914Next
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jun 23 2015, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Jun 22 2015, 01:07 PM) *

Steve

Those 3 features pointed out by Jeff - the black plastic threshold plates, interior door latch bezels and side window winders - are the same as my car, which was built in June '73.

The feature that puzzles me about your car (I might have mentioned this already) are the white headlight surrounds. I don't know when the switch was made to black surrounds but I've read that it took place mid model year and coincided with the switch to black plastic threshold plates. I couldn't find a picture of your compliance sticker but if I did my math right, your car was built April 26th, 1973 ... 9 months into the model year. I guess it once again shows how the running changes can be difficult to pin down to a specific date.

Agree Dave. I'm still learning about these cars. Your build date calc was pretty good. Which means the oddity would be the white surrounds?

Steve

Click to view attachment
MDG
My '73 is a late March build and also still has the white surrounds. although it still has the earlier aluminum threshold plates and trim bits. The 914 2.0 badge on mine in chrome too.

Maybe they had more of the white surrounds left in inventory and they were the last item to switch over?
914Next
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 27 2015, 09:14 AM) *

My '73 is a late March build and also still has the white surrounds. although it still has the earlier aluminum threshold plates and trim bits. The 914 2.0 badge on mine in chrome too.

Maybe they had more of the white surrounds left in inventory and they were the last item to switch over?

Actually I've been meaning to ask about the rear badging also. I have noticed that some are chrome and some are black. Mine is black, and have been wondering what was original on the '73. Sound like this may have been a changeover also.

Seems to have been a move to a "black-out" theme in late '73....my window cranks, threshold plates and door lock surrounds as well as rear badging are all black. The anomaly for my car is the white headlight surrounds.

Was there a shift mid-production to black badging?

SteveClick to view attachment
MDG
Correct. The change over to the black trim for the 74 model year actually started towards the end of the 73 production run. There are lots of late 73's with the black badging, threshold/carpet trim etc.

I'd guess yours was one of the first ones to start the switch over, and like I speculated, they still had some white headlight surrounds to use up.
mrgreenjeans
My serial numbered 0089 model year 74, has all those same features as your car does, but has the chrome bullets and chrome washer nozzles. It is a 60,000 mile original from Montana, via Bismarck, then Fargo.
It has a thoroughly documented history as well, built in August of 73. The plastic surrounds on the lights are black.

Your 2.0 litre is familiar, having seen it a few times at our local Porsche events..... I did not know Jim was selling it. How did it come to be advertised and where ? How did you catch wind of it in your part of the world ?

I am happy it has gone to a great new home with a loving and knowledgeable caretaker as yourself. It is as amazing yet today as it was the last time I saw it ..... GREAT car, GREAT owner, and may it bring you a boatload of Concours wins and joyous occasions. I love it....... (somewhere I believe I have photos of your car next to mine at a PCA event, and will share them if I can locate them.)
914work
Beautiful car. Love all the orig detail.
One question: hard to tell from the photos but what is securing the outer rockers? Alum Rivet's?
914Next
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Jul 12 2015, 07:24 PM) *

My serial numbered 0089 model year 74, has all those same features as your car does, but has the chrome bullets and chrome washer nozzles. It is a 60,000 mile original from Montana, via Bismarck, then Fargo.
It has a thoroughly documented history as well, built in August of 73. The plastic surrounds on the lights are black.

Your 2.0 litre is familiar, having seen it a few times at our local Porsche events..... I did not know Jim was selling it. How did it come to be advertised and where ? How did you catch wind of it in your part of the world ?

I am happy it has gone to a great new home with a loving and knowledgeable caretaker as yourself. It is as amazing yet today as it was the last time I saw it ..... GREAT car, GREAT owner, and may it bring you a boatload of Concours wins and joyous occasions. I love it....... (somewhere I believe I have photos of your car next to mine at a PCA event, and will share them if I can locate them.)

Thanks, MR. GJ's. Sounds like you have a great car too. Would love to see pics. Our '73 also has chrome washer nozzles. Not sure what you mean by chrome bullets?

Would love to see a pic of our car with yours if you can find it. I did not know that Jim was ever involved in any shows or PCA. He has never mentioned that. I'll have to ask him.

I heard about the car after posting on 914World that I was looking to buy an all-original -6 or 2-liter -4. I looked at a couple of -6's but then Erik who had just purchased the car from Jim emailed me to tell me that he had heard that the car was for sale, purchased it. Erik told me that he bought the car as a summer driver but then realized it was far to clean and original to use that way. Erik only owned the car for two months. Was thrilled to find out about the car.
914Next
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 13 2015, 10:19 AM) *

Beautiful car. Love all the orig detail.
One question: hard to tell from the photos but what is securing the outer rockers? Alum Rivet's?

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the rivets are aluminum. They have never been removed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.