Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT. Back Surgery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelmoo
Has anyone here had back surgery? I have two collapsed disk (thanks to an 18 wheeler at 55mph) and have done the back injections, physical therapy for 7+ months and tomorrow I have an appointment with my Doc who gave me until last Friday to start showing signs of improvement before talking surgery. Well on Friday at therapy I read my review that they are sending the doctor. It said, “his progress has plateaued”. So I’m sure I’m going t hear about surgery. Just wanted to know if any one has had it and how they are know.

(Plus was the discogram really as bad as I have read)
jasons
I have 3 fused vertabrae. Got some sweet Ti in my spine. How many people can brag about that upgrade? Anyways, I broke my back in a mountain biking accident. I had a head on collision with another guy. We met in a corner at the bottom of 2 downhill sections. We were each going about 25 mph so it was effectively a 50 mph collision. I fractured one vert. real bad. So bad I thank someone everyday that I don't have to lug myself into a wheelchair in the morning. So much for my problems.

Honestly, my surgery sucked. I can't paint a pretty picture for you, I wish I could. Your procedure probably isn't as invasive as mine. Do they go through your chest or straight to your back? Mine, they went through my chest. They removed a piece of one rib then collapsed my lung. Then they push my heart out of the way to gain access to the trouble vert. At which point, they use their version of a dremmel tool and proceed to grind out the broken part of the vert. Once the vert. is "hogged out" they stick a piece of cadaver bone in the hole. Then they bolt it to the surrounding verts. with a plate of Ti and some screws.

My recovery was 10 days in the hospital. I had some minor complications. I had 4 or 5 tubes coming out of various holes and orifices. At home I was on the couch for about 6 weeks more. I didn't feel completely recovered for about 1 year.

The upside, I have few problems now and I consider myself lucky. Sorry, I can't tell you it was so much fun and I hate going to the dentist more. The truth is it sucked but I have almost no side effects. Worst thing for me is sitting in crappy chairs or bleachers, then I get real achey. Othewise, I can lift stuff work on stuff, go to the gym with almost no problems.
michaelmoo
that’s, errr, good to hear. About your situation now. My disk problem is in the L3 area. The last time I talked to the doctor about it they will go through my back. I guess I will find out tomorrow. I just am a little nervous. Never had any kind of surgery. At least my neck is better. I had seviear whiplash that ripped my mussel in my neck. It was a bad wreck. My back is in constant pain. I’m 30 years old and I can’t live with the pain the rest of my life. So I will do what ever it takes. I mean I “tried” to sweep the garage and was down for 2 days!
jasons
My operation was on T10, T9 and T11 are fused to T10. People get surgery everyday. Old people get really traumatic surgery(heart) and they recover. You will be fine. I mean there is always a risk of death on the operating table. However, your risk is considerably less than an 85 year old getting a triple bypass. If they go straight to your back, I doubt that it is anything as bad as mine was. I am 35 and I have had 3 surgeries(groin, knee, back). It is always scary, and I won't be any less scared the next time I have to go. I have a tooth I need extracted and I keep putting it off because it scares me. If you are that disabled at your age, you should get it fixed.
guywan914
I'm in the same boat right now only a few weeks behind. Mine are L4&L5 due to a congential fusion of the ist three. Had the steroid treatment for a week, am doing therapy 3x week, next is steroid injection and then surgery. Everyone I have spoke with has had great results with fusion surgery, haven't really had any bad reports from those I've spoke with.
The best thing to do is obviously get the best people you can. I've found that talking with Physical therapists is a good way to find out who does the best work. Good luck keep us posted.
Jeffs9146
I had L1, L2 surgery about 18 years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done! It took about 5 years to get complete confidence and strength back but now I waterski and snowski all the time.

The only advice I would give is to find a doctor who does these operations daily. Experience is the only way to get the consistant results. Do not skimp on the doctor even if you have to pay for it out of your pocket

Good Luck!

Jeff
rhodyguy
WOW!!! thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif (where ever that smillie is). icon8.gif . after all the surgery are you free of major back pain?

k
SGB
Hi Michael
I've had ruptued disk (L5) removed, but no "fusing" (how deceptive- its screwed, not fused). My wife has had L5 and L6 fused together. The surgery will polly come from the back, and is not complicated unless you have a bike wreck first. Most important advise I can give is to follow the recovery instructions explicitely. You should be pretty much pain free (nerve pain anyway) right away, so it is hard to stay down, but TAKE IT EASY as long as the doc says, or you will be back soon.
dbu356
Check out Dr Yeung's web site (especially the animations)
at www.sciatica.com

He invented minimally invasive disc (laser) surgery and has trained MDs world-wide.

My wife is being seen by him and has recommended him to others. We have been told that he answered their email questions within days.

Good Luck - David

Hi ..This is David's wife...I just wanted to tell you about the discography: I have four herniated discs plus an annular tear and will need 4 replacements eventually (am waiting for the new ones that will be out in 4-5 years..injectables! and will get the surgery 'til then)...but back to the discography: yes it hurt like a son-of-a-Bee, might as well be honest. But they all don't have to hurt, I think it depends on how severe your individual situation is. Of the four, I hit on a pain level 10 on three, an 8-9 on the other. But, I'm kind of a mess, ya? ;-) Do check out this laser surgery, tho'. It's cutting edge (no pun intended). No cutting of the ligaments or muscle, thus the recovery time is very short: you're up and walking in a day! Back to work in 1 week to 3 weeks avg.. 6 weeks tops....not 3-mos or... more.
Best of luck...I feel for ya!!
Porcharu
I was in your situation last year and found an alternitive that works great for me and several others that have tried it. It is almost to simple to work but give this a try www.lumbarextender.com
I'm not kidding this really works well for me (and my father who has had 2 surguries - 3 or 4 fused verts) I spent my last birthday weekend in the ER after collapsing from back pain, I still have 2 slightly ruptured disks L2 and L3. I have no pain outside of a little occasional stiffness in my back.
I have also had 4 ACL reconstructions (last one was 14 months ago) so I know all about surgury and recovery.
Hope all goes well for you.
Steve beer3.gif
balljoint
My father in law had back surgery mid August, couple of vertebrae fused and some kind of funky new discs put in. His problem was long term and then exascerbated (sp? oh hell) made worse, by a trip to a chiropractor.

He was in the woods for Moose season 3 weeks later and truckin' around pretty good for the deer season early November and other than being careful he is now in much better shape and in no more continuous pain. No question it was a good call for him, and he had bypass surgery only a couple of years ago too.

Just like getting a new longitudinal put in.
rick 918-S
I have a Herrington rod that is connected via double hooks to someplace around T1 to L1 area, I have a serious twist in the center of my spine and a wedge shaped vertebrae that required a fusion of T 5-6-7. The twist caused my rib cage on my right back to cave in and my left rib cage on my back to buldge out. It's still that way. But it's not supposed to get worse.

The result would be colapsed breathing cavity and eventual death. The doctors took a pretty serious hunk of bone from a donor surgury from my left lliac crest. (the big thick bone structure above your butt cheeks)

I was in a body cast for 10 months. I was 17 years old at the time of my surgury. I was release to work about 2 months after my 18th birthday. I'm 47 now.

I've lifted my weight and more lots of times. I've been in fist fights, car accidents, and work from dusk to dawn. If you let things bother you they will. If you choose to let life control you it will. If you live everyday like it's your last you'll have no regrets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.