Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All This Talk About CV's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Evil's CV bolt thread got me thinking about this stage of my project again. I like the saftey wired bolt idea but, I though they would simply be holding on my blown CV's biggrin.gif

I searched the topic of CV's but couldn't get an answer to what I'm looking for.

I have stock CV's and axles bolted up to 914-6 stub axles. I plan on having 220hp + into a flipped 911/02. What other (read: stronger) CV's might on be able to slide on a stock 914 axle? I've heard "bus" etc... but I haven't heard a real "this + this = this". Is there a stronger CV that will slide on a stock axle? I've heard that the stock CV's "will" go out with that much hp in a racing situation (which I plan to find myself in often).

What's the solution?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and comments.
Mueller
I was thinking of going with the 911 axles/CVs and just run the adapter plates to mate them with the stock /4 flanges.

The CVs are much larger and the axle is of larger diameter as well.

Unless someone has a more cost effective method smile.gif
skline
Try these I am sure they can handle it.
914GT
Does anyone have proof of new, or properly maintained CV joints failing strictly due to high HP engines? Old worn-out joints or bolts coming out doesn't count. I'm wondering if the real reason of failures is because of an engine conversion where they didn't bother to check the joints or keep the bolts tightened. When I built my car I found one joint trashed, with overheated 'blue balls' and damaged races. If I hadn't bothered checking it surely would have blown out by now.
Mueller
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 22 2005, 09:03 AM)
Try these I am sure they can handle it.

911 axles with adapters.... smash.gif
nein14-6
I sheared the splines out of the middle of an outer cv joint with my 6. I think this was strictly due to improper alignment of the transmission in relation to the trailing arm as well as having a locked diff. I have not seen any other damage to the cv joints at all.
Eric_Shea
911 axles with adapters....

So... is that what PP is selling?

I've heard from the same usual sources that the 911 axles are too long or short or something... the size isn't the same (I could get off my lazy ass and measure it, I have both off the cars in the garage)

The 911 flange on the 911/02 could stay, that wouldn't be a problem. Would I then ditch the 914-6 stub axle in favor of a 911 stub axle for the other end?

Thoughts? Anyone done this?
d914
I've had my car for 6 years. 2.5 liter 6 now at 220plus..recently put in new cv's and axles due to blowing out the boots, while I was there what the hell put in new. On track about 8 weekends per year on avg.
Mueller
Eric,

the 911 axle assembly is ~1.00" shorter, that is how the adapter plates can be used.....one per side....

i have a set, but me, being me, took them apart and used the axles as "a suitable drift" many years ago thinking I would never need or want them smash.gif

renengade sells the adapters as well as another list member here....
Downunderman
Eric,

Its a while since I visited the issue, but when building mine the gearbox man changed the output flanges on the box to 915 to suit the 915 lsd. Then used SC cv's on the stock 6 half shafts. Changed the outboard end to SC stub axle. I think there was some machining involved, it might have been for a circlip goove or something. The SC cv's are pretty much bullet proof and I think they are still using them on GT3's. My engine is putting out about 240hp.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2005, 11:26 AM)
Would I then ditch the 914-6 stub axle in favor of a 911 stub axle for the other end

they are one and the same....

an early 911 and 914 hubs are the same

EDIT: stubs- i thought they were the same too dry.gif
Downunderman
My cv's are the 6 bolt type, both ends.
nsyr
how much are the adapters going for anyways?
mrihop
I bought a set of axles from Renegade Hybrids for my Chevy's massive torque. My stock CVs lasted 200 miles. I purchased Renegade's axle kit for $600 and they're rated at 500 horsepower. Kit comes with new shafts, bus CVs, adaptors, hardware, and grease. The tranny will break before these axles do! Give them a call, 1-866-498-2421. The adapters bolt right onto the existing stub axles and tranny, and the 6 bolt CVs pop right in!

They're a good $160 less than what Pelican wants for their set! I just went out and took this picture of my setup.
user posted image
mrihop
I was told I could use the factory roll pins, but I just went out and bought 8 new 10mm roll pins that I knew would function properly! A great $3 investment.
Eric_Shea
Thanks Ian...

So those are the 911 axles with the adapter. Makes sense.

Thanks for the picture.

Greg... that's the motor I plan to use. 2.2 bumped to a 2.5 with 90mm's at 9.5:1 with S-cams. I'm thinking 220+ confused24.gif

So... nothing with the 914 axle. Looks like a 911 axle w/adapters. Maybe I'll use my stock ones until they blow out. I just rebuilt them.
Mueller
So... nothing with the 914 axle. Looks like a 911 axle w/adapters. Maybe I'll use my stock ones until they blow out. I just rebuilt them.

and cross your fingers that "if" something breaks the flailing axle does not take the starter right off the transmission taking part of the engine block along with it wacko.gif

I've seen this twice....t'was not pretty icon8.gif
BIGKAT_83
I used these adapters at the transaxle and 89 C4 rear axles and hubs with a 5mm spacer on the hub and used the 89 911 vented rotor.

Wasn't there a thread a while back about the renegade axles being bus axles?
Andyrew
Mike, How much would it be to MAKE these adapters?

You have the ability dont you??

I know I would buy a set.

Now. I would buy them NOW!

I'll be the test dummy!! I'll see if I can get em to break!! lol

Eric.. Thats what I said to myself.

Next time it blows (im still fixing my first one..)

Im getting some 911 one's...
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 22 2005, 06:34 PM)

I'll be the test dummy!! I'll see if I can get em to break!! lol

Eric.. Thats what I said to myself.

Next time it blows (im still fixing my first one..)

Im getting some 911 one's...

You can buy a set not like the ones I have pictured, but adapt both the 930 and 911 axles to a 914 transaxle flange from renegade for less than $100 if I remember correct.

Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 22 2005, 04:34 PM)

sorry...I won't make and sell anything else a current club member is making...let me figure out who it is that makes them and I'll post his contact info.....I know Brad knows the guy, I'll ask him if he knows who I am talking about.

(I lied, I might make them for myself, LOL)
Andyrew
Ok, didnt realize someone made them from the club..

Dont want to make something another club member is makeing... Perfectly understandable.

(Cough, euro turn signal conversion laugh.gif, that was a funny thread.. "ME, No mE.. IM FIRST!!!")

But if you make some for yourself.. grrrrrr...

I WILL buy something from you thats not used... lol

BTW, If he's not a regular poster or if he's in the Noob category, does that count as a club member??? lol cool_shades.gif

let me know if you find his info.
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 22 2005, 08:26 PM)
let me know if you find his info.

I'll be e-mailing him tonight and seeing what he wants to do....
Dr Evil
I had started this a while back and found a guy to do it for not too much, but everyone seemed to loose interest. The ones PP sels are reportedly bus axles that have adaptors. I say go with it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.