Today I started replacing the bushing in the shift linkage of the -6. Its still got the original tailshifter trans. When I was ordering the parts, I thought for a moment about not replacing the spring under the shifter but a new one was only a few bucks so I thought I'd go ahead and "spring" for it. wacko.gif

I'm glad I did:

Click to view attachment

The spring on the left is the old one and measured about 27MM but the new spring on the right measured about 35MM. I really wouldn't have thought that the spring could have degraded that much.

Now the question........in the middle of the tailshifter linkage on a -6, there is a block-style bushing under the engine just behind the firewall that joins the longer linkage rod all the way to the back of the trans to the 8" rod section at the firewall. Prying the long rod off the block once I removed the bolt was easy but its proving harder to get the block-bushing back into the front end of the long shift linkage rod. Anyone have any tips for getting it back together? Trying th pry the u-shaped bar end open a little wider to fit onto the block it ...challenging.

Click to view attachment