Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake dust shields
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Can 4 lug (4 cyl. ) dust shields be used on 5 lug (911, 6 cyl.) struts with vented rotors ?
They mount the same, will they touch the rotor ?
I can cut them to clear the caliper. Or just leave them off ?
Anyone ?
914Sixer
-4 will touch because of the depth of the vented rotor. I would not recommend leaving them off. All the usual suppliers including Porsche now have replacements for under $40 each.
bdstone914
The bolt pattern is different too. Why not just use 911 shields ? I think I have some extras.

Bruce
Bruce Hinds
What are the hazards of leaving them off, I did that years ago. I had intended to add cooling ducts but never got around to doing it.
jim_hoyland
Good question. I had installed Brad's billet 5 lug hubs with the SC vented rotors and the 911M calipers; would a 911 dust shield fit ? If it would, I would be interested in a pair.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ May 31 2015, 03:44 PM) *

What are the hazards of leaving them off, I did that years ago. I had intended to add cooling ducts but never got around to doing it.

None really... in fact, it's recommended in the factory manual for competition driving.
brant
I take them off of every car
Have done so for 30 years
Never had any Problems
914Mels
99 percent of the time you will probably be fine without them, of course the first time you drive without them you will pick up a chunk of gravel and wedge it into your brake rotor.
Mark Henry
Basicly if you only drive on paved roads you should be OK.
I'll leave the backs on because I feel more crap will be flying back there and I do have a gravel driveway.
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 1 2015, 10:46 AM) *

I take them off of every car
Have done so for 30 years
Never had any Problems

Great minds think alike. No issues after 40 years
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.