Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Disabling turbos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
Hey hey,

So my project is not a huge world away from actually running - however - I have a lot of work to do before I have all the turbo plumbing and control work completed.

I am thinking of getting the thing running by just sticking an airfilter on the throttle body instead of anything more introcate.

So - that would mean I have two turbos - plumbed on the exhaust side, but not on the compressor side.... which is not ideal....

I wondered if one of the following options would be useful:

1) put some wire through the turbine and physically hold the wastegates open.

2) plumb the compressor output directly to the wastegate with a quarter inch air outlet.

3) this is a stupid idea - finish it before you drive it.

What do you guys think? It doesn't feel like a great idea, but taking the turbos off and plugging all the lines is probably more work than getting a minimum setup running anyways.

Also - where would you go for a good selection of pipes, bends and seals for turbo plumbing?

TIA,

Fiid.
Aaron Cox
3 ohmy.gif spank.gif slap.gif alfred.gif
Joe Bob
iamchappy
Wait till its done by the time you figure out how to run the damn thing without you could be putting that time into getting it finished. I set my car up so I could switch back to stock by removing my crossover pipe and reinstalling the muffler and replacing the stock CIS bonnet.
Part of my fabrication was to have the crossover pipe incorporate the turbo, muffler and wastegate as one piece.
lapuwali
If the wastegates are tied open, the turbines will see very little exhaust pressure, so no worry of "overspeed". Just wire them open, block off the compressor openings to keep junk out of there, and you should be fine. You may decide 2.5 liters of non-turbo power is enough. biggrin.gif
You might find it better to disconnect the stock wastegate actuators completely.

Turbos make great mufflers, so I'd bet you wouldn't even need one to keep the noise at an acceptable level.

TimT
Piping and flanges etc lots more stuff too.

We just tuned the 935 on the dyno with the intake side of the turbo unplumbed. We did this to tune the EFI with the engine under load without boost.. ie to tune the engine for max power while it works normally aspirated. We then connected all the plumbing at tune the boost side of the curves.

oops sorry for the hijack

airsix
Fiid,
I don't like the idea of running them open even with the wastegates held open. I don't like the idea of the shaft not spinning either - I wonder if shaft rotation is necessary for propper lubrication/cooling? I'm with Chappy - just get it hooked up. smile.gif

Want to hear a story? Saturday I took the the 1.7turbo out for a spin. Hadn't driven it since November. Gave it a good pre-flight (I thought) and went for a drive. Wide-open at 5,500rpm in 2nd I went for 3rd and the throttle stuck. Yes, that's right - wide open throttle, clutch disengaged, 13psi boost, no rev-limiter (doh!) It was outside this winter for a while and throttle cable must have, well, you know. I killed the ignition, but not before the motor saw a new all-time high. Seems to be ok. Still runs strong, no noises. I'll do a compression check to be sure. And set the revlimiter & fix the throttle. headbang.gif

-Ben M.
Tom Perso
I did that with my 2270 when I had it in the Bug. I was giving it full wood and over extended the linkage arms and it stuck open. I pegged the tach at 7500rpm (ooohhhrah!)

And I *STILL* don't have a rev limiting box on it. What a doof.

Later,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.