Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: v8 conversion with a 930 trans on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
matthepcat
Gents,

I found this V8 conversion local to San Jose Ca for sale on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171806825340?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

IPB Image
Turns out the owner who passed some years ago was a member here: MikeP

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...&blogid=309

Out of curiosity I went to look at the car in person and helped the wife figure out more about the car.

Looks to be quite a beast(480HP), but will need some work. I believe she set the ebay reserve at (PM me for that info). The drive-train has far more into it than that, but the body needs cosmetic work. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

Looks to be a great start for a track car ( as the cage makes it too hard to use for the street)
Mueller
I remember him...I did not know he passed away!
rhodyguy
I like it! Must be a going mofo. Worth far more than a 10k reserve. Hope the owner doesn't windup leaving a plate full at the table. If I lived down south I would be contacting her directly. Someone must have known the husband. Great eBay ad! Informative.
matthepcat
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 2 2015, 04:28 PM) *

I like it! Must be a going mofo. Worth far more than a 10k reserve. Hope the owner doesn't windup leaving a plate full at the table. If I lived down south I would be contacting her directly. Someone must have known the husband. Great eBay ad! Informative.

I can put you in touch if you are serious. She mostly wants it to be kept alive and not parted out for the 930 trans ( like I think many bidders are banking on)
carr914
There is nothing wrong with the Cage for the Street. In reality this is a street car only - You would not be recognized by Porsche (PCA) events and it not far enough race equiped. Especially with Ls Motors replacing the old diehard Cheby Small Block.

But for $10k it would be a pretty good buy, A 930 is expensive, the SB would still be worth money, the wheels are $$ and suggest there is some good suspension/brakes under there.
matthepcat
I would have to make some of the cross bars "roll cage swing outs" to be able to get more easily in it ( or become much skinnier and shorter).

It could be a non PCA race car with some additional work.

The clutch on the car is so heavy that it would not be fun to drive in the city ( unless you have ripped legs)..lol

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 2 2015, 04:38 PM) *

There is nothing wrong with the Cage for the Street. In reality this is a street car only - You would not be recognized by Porsche (PCA) events and it not far enough race equiped. Especially with Ls Motors replacing the old diehard Cheby Small Block.

But for $10k it would be a pretty good buy, A 930 is expensive, the SB would still be worth money, the wheels are $$ and suggest there is some good suspension/brakes under there.

Cairo94507
Man, there are some very nice parts there. if you could pick that car up for $10-12K that would be a great deal. Drop another 5-6K in to get it cleaned up/painted and have a great driver.
rick 918-S
His last posts were in 2006 as far as I can tell. He posted about an Ironman he was to compete in and never posted the results. It looks like it was bumped in 2014...
Mueller
I'd love to have this car, just some bodywork and paint and it would be perfect!

Pickles was his last name correct? Really nice guy, I want to say I meet him at Hatfields place up in Woodside in '04 or so when looking at doing a V8 conversion.

Wonder what the monthly payment would be be if I did Paypal credit? hahaha

Someone is going to get a killer setup and I too hope nobody parts it out...perhaps make them sign an agreement?

underthetire
Mueller, you don't need another project you will never finish !
tooms351
Hi Matt I sent you a pm.
matthepcat
I replied to all the PM's. The owner is a really nice lady, so If I gave you her contact information please be respectful and let her know your from 914world.

I have people that signed up on the forum just to get her information from me....you can email her through ebay or ask questions about the car here.

I got the car started today and drove it around a bit.

Needs a tune up, needs the cooling system to be gone through ( got up to 210-215 in 10 minutes of idle and 5 minutes of driving.

HEAVY clutch and pretty soft suspension ( compared to my 6).

Lots of torque and in 4th gear you can go 65-70 MPH at like 2k rpm.
Andyrew
He passed away? He was so young... I doubt he was even 40!! Wow... He had a v8 meet up at his house, one of the 3 times I've driven my car outside of Modesto! I went with a buddy on a record setting 116deg day. I bought the 915 conversion (that I sold) from him when he went 930. He took me for a drive around his neighborhood, went sideways at 80 in a 3rd gear drift...

Really nice guy. sad.gif

matthepcat
Yea it's a bummer. That's why I felt compelled to help the wife out.

The car in proper tune would for sure smoke the tires in 3rd gear...haha. I was surprised how tall geared the 930 is.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2015, 12:32 PM) *

He passed away? He was so young... I doubt he was even 40!! Wow... He had a v8 meet up at his house, one of the 3 times I've driven my car outside of Modesto! I went with a buddy on a record setting 116deg day. I bought the 915 conversion (that I sold) from him when he went 930. He took me for a drive around his neighborhood, went sideways at 80 in a 3rd gear drift...

Really nice guy. sad.gif

whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 3 2015, 12:16 PM) *

I replied to all the PM's. The owner is a really nice lady, so If I gave you her contact information please be respectful and let her know your from 914world.

I have people that signed up on the forum just to get her information from me....you can email her through ebay or ask questions about the car here.

I got the car started today and drove it around a bit.

Needs a tune up, needs the cooling system to be gone through ( got up to 210-215 in 10 minutes of idle and 5 minutes of driving.

HEAVY clutch and pretty soft suspension ( compared to my 6).

Lots of torque and in 4th gear you can go 65-70 MPH at like 2k rpm.

Matt,
I answered your PM with another PM.
matthepcat
Replied.

The shutterfly link in the ebay ad now has a video of it running from my drive this morning.

westtexass2k
Id love to buy that car it has a bunch of good stuff in it. Shoulld be a good deal for someone.
Chris H.
Bummer about MikeP.... nice of you to help out Matt beerchug.gif .

As mentioned in the e-bay ad, those wheels are worth quite a bit. They look almost new. You could sell those and recoup almost half the cost, although they look SO GOOD! It also has the Renegade front valance BTW. Really ducts air in well.
Mueller
Only 16 hours left on the auction!

Mueller
Sold for $10,000 ...I hope it stays intact and goes to a good home.
matthepcat
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 9 2015, 07:13 AM) *

Good. The seller will be happy with that. I don't think it's worth more than that in its current condition.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 9 2015, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 9 2015, 07:13 AM) *

Good. The seller will be happy with that. I don't think it's worth more than that in its current condition.

I don't think it's worth the $10k in it's current condition. Basically buying a set of wheels and accessories.
jd74914
Not sure I would consider the 930 tranny an accessory. laugh.gif
matthepcat
Yea

Wheels $2500
Tranny $4,000
Brakes $500
5 lug conversion $1000
Engine $800
low rust body $1000

I say 10k parted out you would break even, unless you got top dollar. The buyer is saving on labor mostly.
bfrymire
$800 for a used 485hp chevy motor seems pretty cheap. But, $2000 would be too much. Blueprint sells new 435hp motors for about $3.5k.

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 10 2015, 11:55 AM) *

Yea

Wheels $2500
Tranny $4,000
Brakes $500
5 lug conversion $1000
Engine $800
low rust body $1000

I say 10k parted out you would break even, unless you got top dollar. The buyer is saving on labor mostly.

That's my point. You would have to part it out to get your money back. That car still needs major body attention and paint. $10k-$15k for show quality and you have a $25k car that needs interior. Not a great value overall. It is full of great parts though.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 10 2015, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 10 2015, 11:55 AM) *

Yea

Wheels $2500
Tranny $4,000
Brakes $500
5 lug conversion $1000
Engine $800
low rust body $1000

That's my point. You would have to part it out to get your money back. That car still needs major body attention and paint. $10k-$15k for show quality and you have a $25k car that needs interior. Not a great value overall. It is full of great parts though.

Maybe I should get back into paint.. You guys put way to much of a value on what looks like a good paint job happy11.gif

I agree that engine is undervalued at that but I do agree in its current condition 10k is about right.
whitetwinturbo
Looking at MikeP's archived posts show a pretty "trick" engine .... evilgrin.gif Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
Wished I'd seen that listing. I would have bid on this. That engine alone could be worth what the whole car sold for. That looks to be a raised cam brodix block. They are in the 5K range raw. The heads are Brodix as is the intake.

Somebody got a HELL OF A GOOD DEAL!!
rhodyguy
So that sort of short block runs $5k? Heads and intake extra?
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 20 2015, 12:24 PM) *

Wished I'd seen that listing. I would have bid on this. That engine alone could be worth what the whole car sold for. That looks to be a raised cam brodix block. They are in the 5K range raw. The heads are Brodix as is the intake.

Somebody got a HELL OF A GOOD DEAL!!

Yes, it is was Brodix roller high elvira.gif boy!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.