Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PORSCHE script fastners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
keely444
I found a set of PORSCHE letters for my engine lid. The letter fastners / grouments are very dry and hard.Any good ideas to rejuvinate those?Any resonable cost options for fastners?
GeorgeRud
They are probably still available through Pelican Parts or the dealer. Otherwise some simple push nuts from the local hardware store will fasten them as well, just have to bring one of the letters in to check the size required.
Tom_T
agree.gif They're still available & not too expensive, since they're also used on other P-cars.

Try your local Porsche Dealer or Porsche parts supplier.

I know that Rich Bontempi at HPH in Redwood City has some, since I got a set with an NOS set of the engine lid script for my resto. He's fairly close to you & has a huge stash of new, NOS & used 914 parts.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
GeorgeRud
They are probably still available through Pelican Parts or the dealer. Otherwise some simple push nuts from the local hardware store will fasten them as well, just have to bring one of the letters in to check the size required.

duplicate post-sorry!
keely444
Thanks Guys, I am started to run low on dough. This his car is the only thing that spends faster than my wife. I need 14 of these and when was the last time you got anything under $5 ea. I will check out your sources.
Thanks Again
Cuda911
The fasteners are called "speed nuts." I went to a zillion hardware stores, and all I got was a bunch of confused folks when I asked if they carried 'em, even when I showed them one. So, order them from Pelican, etc., and don't waste your time at hardware stores.
914Next
I actually did find speed nuts at my local Ace Hardware store. 25 cent each.
914Next
Jonathan Livesay
If you guys are talking about the kind of rectangular shaped metal ones, they do work, but be aware they do not come off nearly as easily as they go on.
Cuda911
^^^ Nope. The speed nuts in question have a putty-like goop on the back.

When they get old, however, the putty tends to get dry and crumbly.

stugray
QUOTE(914Next @ Jun 2 2015, 09:32 PM) *

Yes!

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jun 2 2015, 09:42 PM) *

If you guys are talking about the kind of rectangular shaped metal ones, they do work, but be aware they do not come off nearly as easily as they go on.

And Yes. Ace has the little rectangular push nuts that will work, and they will damage the pin if you try to remove them by prying or twisting.
To get them off you need to grab the tab with a pair of needle nose pliers and twist the tab up.
They can be used on the lettering, but I pity the fool who uses them on the grating material at each end of the lid and then ever hopes to get them off again...

IPB Image
Mark Henry
I use a dab of urethane on the pin, but you have to secure it in place (tape, weight, clamp, etc.) and it takes a day to cure.
bandjoey
Ace has the exact speed nuts hex head but with no rubber back. I cut up a bicycle inner tube for backing. Took in a sample and the guy found them
saigon71
I used regular nylon threaded nuts from Lowes to attach my letters. They hold well and I find them easier to remove than the OEM speed nuts. Very cheap too.
pete000
Pelican Parts.

Here ya go...Genuine Porsche are a premium, but I bet they all come from the same supplier.
DblDog
Speed nuts and rivets!

check out this site*:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/

LOTS of stuff that could work on our cars, reasonable prices..they have something you'll want!

* No affiliation.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 2 2015, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jun 2 2015, 09:42 PM) *

They can be used on the lettering, but I pity the fool who uses them on the grating material at each end of the lid and then ever hopes to get them off again...

How about the fool who's DPO did that? headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.