Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do? I'd like your opinions on quarter panel repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I removed a bunch of Bondo from the passenger side rear quarter panel and I plan to replace the damaged metal. I have a complete passenger side quarter panel that's pretty clean. My question is this. Would you replace the entire quarter panel and door jam or just cut out the damaged front portion of quarter panel and door jam and butt weld in a portion of the panel.

Here are some pictures of the damaged QP and the replacement. Click to view attachment
Geezer914
Just repair the section. There is a lot more cutting and welding to replace the whole quarter panel. You could sell the sail panel section and rear quarter panel to some one with rust damage or a rear fender bender. welder.gif
r_towle
might be worth drilling out the spot welds at the door jamb and pulling off the piece underneath where the damage started and the metal was stretched.

It will leave you with a horizontal weld to smooth out and that may be on that wider part of the quarter panel, so not an easy fix.

OR
Start drilling....remove the whole quarter and plug weld everything back on with the new quarter....
You will save time on the body work, but it will require loads of drilling...

Just my personal experience, I would choose to replace the whole quarter and save the time on the welding and bondo, and hammer dolly work...
you will end up with a better line at the door edge for sure.

rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2015, 12:04 PM) *
I would choose to replace the whole quarter and save the time on the welding and bondo, and hammer dolly work...

agree.gif
thieuster
Replace the part only. It's not an impossible job. These quarter panels are hen's teeth to find. That's an impossible job! When you use it now, you don't find a second one when you really need one!

Menno
Cairo94507
Replace the whole quarter. You will end up with a better job in the end for less money.
rick 918-S
I owed a collision shop for about 20 yrs. I would never have my guys section a panel if I had the whole part available. Why do a bunch of crude body work when you can change it the way the factory did it.
It is possible you will find some surface rust you can fix at the same time. Bonus!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.