Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: ANyone have a Subaru Baja?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
Seem like a nice caruck smile.gif

MPG should be 25-29 smile.gif
Rough_Rider
I looked into one a year ago. Quite & dirty conclusion is there was no discernably difference between it & a legacy / outback.

The bed is too small to fit even a bicycle, better off with roof bars or a tow mouted rack.
Interior space is limited, the legacy wagon has more space.
Resale on the baja's is lower as no-one wants them. Legacy or outback hold value better.
Styling of the baja is just a little to excentric for my taste. Ie not sure i could live with it year year out.

My vote would be for a legacy wagon preferably with the 2.5 Turbo motor. Total sleeper mobile & a chip job should get it over the 300hp mark.
aircooledboy
agree.gif
100%. Wife & I have been long time loyal Subie owners, and I REALLY wanted to like the Baja, but in the end, it just doesn't make any real practical sense. Bed has very limited uses, and the passenger & cargo areas are bigger and more comfortable in the wagon. (We went with a more useful old beater pick-up and bought a '04 Maxima instead)
Cap'n Krusty
I hope you're getting a great deal on it, 'cause they can't give 'em away. Seriously, word was going around months ago that it's dead in the marketplace and will be dropped. The Cap'n
MattR
user posted image
djm914-6
Not having been in one, I like the outside. Then again, I'd love to see another Brat complete with jumper seats and retro '70s paint. biggrin.gif
MattR
I should clarify. I think they look like a shoe. Personally I'd get a 2.5 wagon. My friend got one and they are very nice drivers.
McMark
lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
Kerrys914
Thanks wink.gif

I have a red on in the drive way right now. I am taking it to work for a nice test drive to Philly.

I kind of like the looks..Not the same old thing on the road.

It will not be used for any major haul'n like a truck but the small things too big or messy for the Jeep.

It has AWD and their is a space below the rea window that opens up to gain some extra bed wacko.gif space.

The outback is a little out of my needs $$ wise right now. The Baja is about $5-$6K cheaper and the MPG is better in the Baja.

Thanks agian
scotty914
just be careful, i might need a spare engine in the future and you not that far from me

ps hopefully i can get the welder in the next week or so
Rhodes71/914
I just wish they wouldn't have stolen the nickname of a certian type of Bug.

Other than that they are unique but it sounds like resale could be an issue.
Kerrys914
Ya the resale has me thinking some?

I looked at a 3 yr lease which would alow me to give it back if things don't work out.

I brought it to work today and it was okay. I am going from a Grand Cherokee (wife is getting this blink.gif ) to this so I missed the V8 but over all not too bad. This will be my daily driver so the MPG savings will be nice.

It does have a pancake engine smile.gif driving.gif

Going out at lunch to put the car seat in it and give it the final once over. The price of the Baja is about $21,000 which dosen't seem to bad for an AWD car or caruck?

Thanks for the honest thoughts beer.gif

I like them and looked at one a year ago, but came to the following conclusion,

-If you have luggage, or a briefcase, or laptop that you want to keep inside the car, than it all ends up on the back seat. Thus-you basically end up with an extended cab pickup, which is fine, just realize that you wont have a "trunk or safe place to store stuff besides the back seat... and unlike a pickup-which you could add a cap or cover to, I doubt that there is/or will be a lockable cover made for the rear of the baja.

-if you are comparing it to a small pickup, and want an open bed, and good mpg, than sure, go for it! it's a better alternative to a small pickup, except that it cant tow much, and has about 1/3 the cargo space..
mightyohm
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Feb 23 2005, 05:35 AM)

Going out at lunch to put the car seat in it and give it the final once over. The price of the Baja is about $21,000 which dosen't seem to bad for an AWD car or caruck?

The Baja is based on the Impreza platform. The Outback Sport, a similar car but with enclosed cargo space, is well under $20k. The regular old Impreza sport wagon is even cheaper, around $17k? $21k is a ton of money for a Baja. I bought a brand new WRX wagon for not much more than that although I was getting rebates etc. Wait until the summer when the dealers are practically paying people to get the old model years off their lots... If the Baja does not show up in next year's lineup you can bet they will be selling cheap.

I would be very concerned about resale and overall support for the car because I think they have been a total flop for the company. You hardly ever see them on the road here.
Kerrys914
"I would be very concerned about resale and overall support for the car because I think they have been a total flop for the company. You hardly ever see them on the road here. "

Good point but doesn't that seem like another car we all have come to love wub.gif

I think I will pass on the baja at this price. If they knock a few grand more off I might bite. I'll take alook at the other models. Seemed to recall the outbacks were all $24,000+ (I could be wrong).

I just spent some time outside with cara nd it's not too bad. Not as nice as a LL Bean outback but nice.

Thanks guys
lapuwali
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Feb 23 2005, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Feb 23 2005, 05:35 AM)

Going out at lunch to put the car seat in it and give it the final once over.  The price of the Baja is about $21,000 which dosen't seem to bad for an AWD car or caruck?

The Baja is based on the Impreza platform. The Outback Sport, a similar car but with enclosed cargo space, is well under $20k. The regular old Impreza sport wagon is even cheaper, around $17k? $21k is a ton of money for a Baja. I bought a brand new WRX wagon for not much more than that although I was getting rebates etc. Wait until the summer when the dealers are practically paying people to get the old model years off their lots... If the Baja does not show up in next year's lineup you can bet they will be selling cheap.

I would be very concerned about resale and overall support for the car because I think they have been a total flop for the company. You hardly ever see them on the road here.

No, the Baja is built on the Legacy platform. There are TWO Outbacks, one built on the Legacy platform, the other built on the Impreza platform. The WRX and STi are also built on the Impreza platform, as is the Forester.

A good friend as the turbo version of the Baja, and is generally pleased with it (same friend is in the middle of a 914 V8 swap, btw). It has a lot of wheel travel, and the accompanying pitch and roll one would expect with it. He uses it to haul around mountain bikes, so while the bed is small, it's still useful. His wife has an Outback wagon (Impreza version) as her daily driver, so they were already predisposed to like Soobs.
fiid
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Feb 22 2005, 02:08 PM)
My vote would be for a legacy wagon preferably with the 2.5 Turbo motor. Total sleeper mobile & a chip job should get it over the 300hp mark.

The Legacy GT Rocks.

Big, comfy - nice sound (though no ipod input), quicker than a boxster, and also quicker than a Dodge Magnum. (quicker to 60 anyway).

I think the Baja is actually on the Legacy/Outcrack platform - it's probably jacked up like the outcrack to make it into an SUV / agricultural vehicle classification.

I would look at the bed size before buying - and think about weather it is going to work for you.

IMHO the Forester, Baja, Outcrack and Legacy arre all the same car:

Legacy - base car - see above.

Outback - jacked up for ground clearance and compromised handling. Engine options slightly different. Light Truck catergory.

Forester - Outback with raised roof.

Baja - Outback with back of roof cut off.

YMMV.

Speaking of mileage - the 2.5 turbo is quite thirsty around town, but is very satisfyingly quick.

mightyohm
Ok, I was wrong about the Baja, but I am pretty sure the Forrester is built on the Impreza platform.

CaliWRX
If you do the right mods to the b\Baja you can make some real nice power.

But it is still ugly. (this is coming from a huge suby fanatic smile.gif )

I wouldn't mind having one for a nice daily driver though.
dmenche914
want fun??? Put the Subaru engine in a Baja VW Bug! Looks of power for the sand tires.
Andy
QUOTE (7391420 @ Feb 23 2005, 08:36 AM)
you wont have a trunk or safe place to store stuff besides the back seat... and unlike a pickup-which you could add a cap or cover to, I doubt that there is/or will be a lockable cover made for the rear of the baja.

At least one company makes a fiberglass topper for Bajas, there's one in my neighborhood.

While the Outback's have a high stance I think their handling is pretty good, I got run off the road recently driving a friends (90mph on I-70 coming down to Denver and a teeny bopper her new Focus decided "Rubbin' is a part of racin'"). We went sideways a bit but but it was easily recovered and I am not that great a driver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.