Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lexan rear window.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Check it off the list.

I was putting this off, but it was easier than expected. It cost me $50 for a 55"x11" sheet of .250 Lexan. I then stopped by a friend's shop to trace a stock rear window onto the Lexan.

Once I sort out the covering for the firewall, there will be some additional rivits along the bottom.
Series9
last:
Aaron Cox
i will move this to the garage.....
Series9
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2005, 03:09 PM)
i will move this to the garage.....

Ooops. Sorry about that. huh.gif
Rough_Rider
What weight difference did you notice between the glass & lexan ?

Plus is the metal strapping just a temporary thing while the butyl cures is it that going to stay? Is it really required??

Sorry for all the questions, just about to do this myself.
Aaron Cox
no offense.... looks like something off a nascar ohmy.gif
TravisNeff
I got a 1/8 sheet of 4x8 lexan for about 80 bucks. Had to make a hi tech liner for the chicken coupe. I have some spare pieces that could turn into something useful?
machina
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2005, 05:15 PM)

the straps keep the window from blowing out (or in) when the car starts spinning at 100mph. Should have them on the windshield also.

that's why those NASCAR guys need them, they know a thing or two about going sideways and backward at speed. unsure.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2005, 03:15 PM)

There's no adhesive. The window is screwed and rivited in place. The aluminum strips are necessary because the Lexan is much more flexible than glass. They are the primary mounts and are rivited to the roll bar on top and screwed to the firewall at the bottom.

Not NASCAR, just race car. cool.gif
xitspd
QUOTE (914RS @ Feb 22 2005, 02:01 PM)
Check it off the list.

I was putting this off, but it was easier than expected. It cost me $50 for a 55"x11" sheet of .250 Lexan. I then stopped by a friend's shop to trace a stock rear window onto the Lexan.

Once I sort out the covering for the firewall, there will be some additional rivits along the bottom.

Nice work Joe! Did you get the wheels back yet? Any pictures? You are making great progress.
rick 918-S
You should use some type of calk. maybe some tub and tile sealer. Nothing serious, just something to keep the water out when you wash that beauty.
Series9
QUOTE (xitspd @ Feb 22 2005, 04:38 PM)

Nice work Joe! Did you get the wheels back yet? Any pictures? You are making great progress.

No wheels yet. Those f'ers can't seem to deliver anything on time.

Tomorrow or Thursday.

Rick, what do you mean water? I don't have door windows... unsure.gif
john rogers
One of these days when the rear window on the race car loosens again I plan to put in some lexan. Not for weight reduction, BUT just so I can make a small sliding opening like the 917's have. I plan to close it at the start of every race just like the movie........
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif Looks nice Joe.

Make me one and send it up here. biggrin.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2005, 10:18 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif Looks nice Joe.

Make me one and send it up here. biggrin.gif

OK, save your six until the fall so I can buy it.......oh, too late.... sad.gif
Eric_Shea
I tried to hold out for ya. You just had some insane notion regarding fiscal responsability

confused24.gif

Now we need ta make you a GT lid...
campbellcj
I did the same project a few months ago. If the interior is already gutted, it's not too bad. I did seal the edges with clear silicone however. Instead of straps all the way across I just made some little aluminum hold-down tabs that bolt to the stock shoulder belt hard point. So far I have not noticed any flex or desire for the lexan to jump out of place. It sits fairly snug in the recess so would really have to flex severely to blow out the back.

I must admit however that I haven't tested the 100mph backwards thing... unsure.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2005, 10:45 PM)
I tried to hold out for ya. You just had some insane notion regarding fiscal responsability

confused24.gif

Now we need ta make you a GT lid...

No, I had a concept of financial suicide. screwy.gif

I don't need a GT lid, I need an RS lid. What's an RS lid? huh.gif
RON S.
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Feb 22 2005, 02:14 PM)
What weight difference did you notice between the glass & lexan ?

I put a lexan rear window in my 6 some time back.
I put the original glass on a digital scale and it's weight was 8-8-1/2 lbs.
I also used 1/4"lexan for the window,and after all the trimming to fit it's final weight was 4lbs.
Unfortunately,after I was done I miked the original window thickness,and it appears I actually should have used 3/16"lexan.Probably could of saved another lb. or so.

Ron
Eric_Shea
What's an RS lid?

Carbon Fiber would be my guess... confused24.gif
campbellcj
I'm pretty sure I used the 3/16" lexan, UV coated on one side. The weight difference vs the stock heated glass was nice but more importantly I can SEE out of it compared to the glue-encrusted cloudy formerly tinted glass window.
Seventyfive914
Hello. I'm late to the party on this topic, but this is one of the "things to do" on my list for my car. My project is moving very slowly but I'm making progress. Anyway, my question is if anyone is at the point in their project where you have your original rear window out to replace it with mylar or lexan, would you be kind enough to trace the outline of it for me onto some paper that could be folded up and mailed to me. I'll certainly cover the postage and toss in a couple bucks for your trouble. I recently sold both original rear windows that I had and only realized that I had forgotten to make a pattern until after I had shipped them, duh! Thanks, -K-
TravisNeff
I have a spare rear window, I can trace it out for you - or if you want to pay shipping the window is yours (if I can dig it up, moving the garage stuff this weekend).
Seventyfive914
Thank you very much. I sent you an e-mail with my Zip, etc. Regards, -K-
TravisNeff
OK, came across the glass yesterday. I will post the shipping info when I get that done (hopefully this weekend, or early next week).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.