Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeals like a pig!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
After years of not being completely satisified with my brakes stopping power, and time for a fluid flush, I took my car to a well know local 914 mechanic. After inspection, they said everything mechanically was ok, I didn't need pads (about 15,000 miles on stock pads and 5k on new rotors), flushed the fluid and set the clearance. WOW. They stopped 100% better than ever. Braking is firm, solid, and the car stops better than ever.

After a couple of months of driving, when backing out of the garage and down the drive (about 50 foot downhill), the brakes started squealllllllling so loud the neighbors look out the window! When I pull forward into the street, no more squealing. Only in reverse.

Is there something I can do to stop the noise short of new pads? Why in Reverse only? I haven't pulled the wheels yet to look but don't think the pads have worn out so quickly. confused24.gif

Suggestions welcome.

screenguy914
Inspect the rear brakes. Remove the rear pads and take a look. If nothing obvious, take back to your wrench and ask them to take a look.

Sherwood
6freak
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 4 2015, 08:09 AM) *

After years of not being completely satisified with my brakes stopping power, and time for a fluid flush, I took my car to a well know local 914 mechanic. After inspection, they said everything mechanically was ok, I didn't need pads (about 15,000 miles on stock pads and 5k on new rotors), flushed the fluid and set the clearance. WOW. They stopped 100% better than ever. Braking is firm, solid, and the car stops better than ever.

After a couple of months of driving, when backing out of the garage and down the drive (about 50 foot downhill), the brakes started squealllllllling so loud the neighbors look out the window! When I pull forward into the street, no more squealing. Only in reverse.

Is there something I can do to stop the noise short of new pads? Why in Reverse only? I haven't pulled the wheels yet to look but don't think the pads have worn out so quickly. confused24.gif

Suggestions welcome.

if it just sorta started one day I would look into maybe somethings got in there like a rock from the road...good luck
MikeC
bandjoey
Rock. Food for thought. I've been wondering why reverse only and it just started one day. Possibly something in the pad but why not going forward.
I'd there's nothing there.
Is it possible that the venting clearance changing due to wearing pads would set up the squeal?

I've also heard about putting grease behind the pads is good. Does it help squealing pads?
r_towle
the squeal is from vibrations.
remove the pads, clean off all the loose rust and crud from the pad and where the pad touches both the caliper and the pins....get it all clean.

Add some grease to the back of the pads.
rjames
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 4 2015, 02:19 PM) *

the squeal is from vibrations.
remove the pads, clean off all the loose rust and crud from the pad and where the pad touches both the caliper and the pins....get it all clean.

Add some grease to the back of the pads.

agree.gif
Easy-peezy
steuspeed
I had a squeal and it was a tiny rock pinned by the dust shield and the rotor. Have someone walk around the car as you back out and find out where it is coming from. You can be easily fooled from inside the car. Work from there.
pilothyer
If this happened after you had the venting clearances set properly is it most likely new vibrations in the pads especially when braking in reverse. It may go away in time, but a little Brake Anti-Squeal Paste applied between the pads and piston face will help.
r_towle
I also take a belt sander and cut a slight 45 degree camfer on the leading and trailing edges to reduce the chatter of the pads.
bandjoey
Thanks for the advice. I'll get everything cleaned Sunday and add some grease. Thanks beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.