Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni front adjustable shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
reharvey
Bought a pair of 914-6 front struts to install on my black 73 and found these shocks in them. They seem to be in good condition but how do you adjust them? Thanks, Ray
Mueller
Usually you compress them and turn them.

I'm sure Koni still has directions on their website for that style.
pete000
Great shocks BTW !
toolguy
Go Here for Koni demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONl44FPP6lM
reharvey
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 4 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Go Here for Koni demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONl44FPP6lM

THANKS--Great video--now I know how to do it I'm wondering how stiff to make them for a steet car. Guess it will be trial and error.
Cairo94507
Personally, I would start at full soft and see how that rides.
eric9144
My Konis adjust at the top of the shock using a little plastic knob, pop the trunks and change the setting at the top depending on conditions. Knob is kept in glove box...
reharvey
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 4 2015, 11:10 PM) *

My Konis adjust at the top of the shock using a little plastic knob, pop the trunks and change the setting at the top depending on conditions. Knob is kept in glove box...

Wish these were that easy to adjust. I'm going to set them for a soft ride and go from there. Everything I need for the 5 lug setup is in my garage. I'll be running 6x16 polished Fuchs with 205/50/16 tires.
jcd914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 4 2015, 02:27 PM) *

I was always told not to set the shocks at full soft or full hard, never run with the valve at the end of the adjustment range.
As explained to me, the concern was the at the end of the range the valve could stick or jamb.
So if I wanted to be at one end of the range or another I would adjust all the way to the end of the range and then back off just a bit.

I have never had a shock of mine jammed but I have replaced a few Koni's with the external adjusters that have been broken off by the customer.

Jim
reharvey
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 5 2015, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 4 2015, 02:27 PM) *

I was always told not to set the shocks at full soft or full hard, never run with the valve at the end of the adjustment range.
As explained to me, the concern was the at the end of the range the valve could stick or jamb.
So if I wanted to be at one end of the range or another I would adjust all the way to the end of the range and then back off just a bit.

I have never had a shock of mine jammed but I have replaced a few Koni's with the external adjusters that have been broken off by the customer.

Jim

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to back them off a 1/4 turn. Ray
bob_emm
You push them down, twist them till you feel a click and then adjust them (twisting clockwise for stiffer while still pushing down—or visa versa). I was told by someone that is knowledgeable that the adjustment was for wear.
pete000
I love these shocks. Not quick to make an adjustment, but they work so good.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.