Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any member put togather a sub woofer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I would like to install a sub in front of the passenger foot compartment, does any member put the glass/box togather.... any info would be great
thanks
Rand
Here's a link to one idea:

Stealth subwoofer
Joe Bob
Try a search...recent thread on the subject. Morphenspectra makes a couple of enclosures...I have used a bazooka tube and put in front of the pasenger seat....
TravisNeff
How did that bazooka sound with captain an tenielle monkeydance.gif
MecGen
Hey
When I get mine, one day from Morphenspectra ,( I just can't seem to make uo my mind) .
I'll be blastin ABBA !!!
WBR
Joe

party.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Feb 22 2005, 03:28 PM)
How did that bazooka sound with captain an tenielle monkeydance.gif

You must be thinking of SLITS.....

Nothing but head banging tunes in my ride when it's cranked....
mrihop
The audio company next to the Renegade shop in Vegas developed a tuned and ported box for an 8" subwoofer and a built in amp that fits in place of the foot piece that's already there. It's a great setup for the car, and sounds great. I heard it at the German Auto Fest in Ventura last September.
MecGen
Yup
AA system looks really good and really doityourselfable.
Hey Pete-st, wich way you leaning to ?
WBR
Joe
bd1308
if anyone does the AA thing, let me know how hard it is to do. I dont know about cutting into all that foam and such, pm me if you have done it...
pete-stevers
that AA setup looks kinda half-ass for a proper encloser, I think they have the right idea but it is not properly finished, is the back not supposed to be sealed from the front???
Mueller
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Feb 22 2005, 06:16 PM)
that AA setup looks kinda half-ass for a proper encloser, I think they have the right idea but it is not properly finished, is the back not supposed to be sealed from the front???

have you seen the back of it??

it's hard to tell if it's a complete enclosure or not....it would seem that it is....

if anyone does the AA thing, let me know how hard it is to do. I dont know about cutting into all that foam and such, pm me if you have done it...

I doubt you have to cut any foam, the foam block just pops right out....have you asked AA for directions on how to install it??? cannot be that hard...the electrical would be the hard part and that should be pretty darn easy....

jr91472
seems like I remember some kind of stand alone speaker product that just mounted face down on the floor under the seat. Called "thumper" or something. confused24.gif

looked kinda interesting...anyone remember this or tried it?
wilchek
I am working in this right now. I am just looking for the correct speaker. I found one at Crutchfield that only needs .23 of enclosed space or .5 of open space. I was weary of cutting my foam, so I bought one of ebay for 15 dollars with shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I ended up with the foam with the hole in it which should make the sound better as it needs space and the channel is already there to run the wires . I am also thinking about putting some sound mat behind the speaker on the floor. It may be a little while until I get to it but I'll post pics step by step when I do it.
Aaron Cox
how do you keep your passenger from unstealthifying your speaker???? with their foot??
Jeffs9146
Mine

Jeff

riverman
I think Jeffs9146 has the best solution, but not all teeners have the center console.
mharrison
seems like I remember some kind of stand alone speaker product that just mounted face down on the floor under the seat. Called "thumper" or something.  

looked kinda interesting...anyone remember this or tried it?

I think what you're thinking of is the Aura Bass Shaker. Now you're taking me back to the 80's !!!!
user posted image
http://www.aurasound.com/
After following the link, click on the Bass Shaker picture on the site for more info.
bd1308
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 22 2005, 09:05 PM)
I think Jeffs9146 has the best solution, but not all teeners have the center console.

i just dont think it'd be right to put a hole in mine though, i like the bass tube idea that mikez had, my passenger could put her feet on the tube, no harm
riverman
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 22 2005, 10:25 PM)
my passenger could put her feet on the tube, no harm

Her feet! Man, what are into? biggrin.gif

I guess if you want to keep your interior looking somewhat stock you might not want to do that.
Jeffs9146
Check out this one!

Mine was fiberglassed inside and sealed. It puts out good sound but I bet this one is better!!

Jeff
Demick
I have a Polk 10" sub in the passenger footwell. I remove the foam block and covered the area with saran wrap. Then I fiberglassed over it. This made a perfectly contoured piece of fiberglass that fit the firewall. Then I made the rest of the box and fiberglassed the fiberglass back to the box.
A simple speaker grill keeps the passenger foot from puncturing the speaker.

Demick
pete-stevers
Demick can you post a pick of your box?
Thanks biggrin.gif
StratPlayer
I picked one of these up, haven't installed it yet, but I'm hoping that this unit will give me enough bass for the small space inside the car... I'll keep you posted
Demick
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Feb 22 2005, 09:43 PM)
Demick can you post a pick of your box?
Thanks biggrin.gif

It's not much to look at. Here is how it normally looks.....
Demick
Lift the carpet and you can see the box and sub underneath. Since it's covered I didn't spend any time on box cosmetics as you can see. Since the speaker is front mounted and the speaker cover stuck out past the main box surface, I added the extra piece of wood surrounding the cover to bring it all up flush. This is so the carpet hangs straight and so the passenger can rest her feet on it and it feels like a flat surface. The grill is very strong. I don't worry about it even when I take passengers on autocross runs and they brace themselves into the car by pressing their feet against it.

Demick
Demick
.....and how it looks from the other side.

bd1308
so i could make a sub box (in place of the foam block) with some thermo-set plastic such as bondo....just by using plastic wrap (maybe around 3 sides of the foam block?)
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 23 2005, 08:52 AM)
so i could make a sub box (in place of the foam block) with some thermo-set plastic such as bondo....just by using plastic wrap (maybe around 3 sides of the foam block?)

read Demicks description again....leave the bondo for the rest of your car smile.gif

the 'glass would be much better than bondo, and it's not too expensive for small jobs.

Demick
Bondo will crack and break. Fiberglass is really the only way to go. The sub box is much bigger than the original foam block. If you are talking about a box the size of the original foam, you are probably talking about a 6" sub.

Here is where I got my original ideas for my sub box (this was about 7 years ago).

http://www.ngland.net:16080/~brian/caraudio.html

Demick
bd1308
does it work in the same way as bondo....i have never fiberglass being used before...
Demick
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 23 2005, 08:05 AM)
does it work in the same way as bondo....i have never fiberglass being used before...

Not at all. Fiberglass is cloth which you impregnate with resin. Do an internet search and you are sure to come up with some good instructional web pages on the subject.

You can buy a fiberglass patch kit at your local auto parts store. Comes with resin, hardner, spreader, and glass mat. You can also buy some packages of fiberglass cloth - get that and use it instead of the fiberglass mat - it's more flexible and easier to work with for anything but fairly flat surfaces. You are looking at about $20 of glass supplies.

Demick
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 23 2005, 09:05 AM)

sorta, sorta not......

you have the fabric or 'glass sheet, and a 2 part mix...mix the stuff the up, soak the 'glass, the epoxy gets hard and bam !!!!...you have a part....

it's pretty darn easy, just messy and be careful, the mix can get pretty damn hot while it's curing on it's own ...google it and you'll find tons of tips and trick for doing fiberglass......
pete-stevers
Demick that is exactly what i am looking for...thanks biggrin.gif
scooter311
Oh my my, that "stitch" member, with that custom interior, is he still around? I would like to ask him a few questions - does anyone know what seats he has in there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.