Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flamethrower coil 1.5 ohm or 3.0 ohm?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
What is the difference or advantage between a 1.5 ohm coil and using a 3.0 ohm coil with a Pertronix electronic ignition module? confused24.gif

reharvey
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jun 4 2015, 02:58 PM) *

What is the difference or advantage between a 1.5 ohm coil and using a 3.0 ohm coil with a Pertronix electronic ignition module? confused24.gif

For our 4cyl. cars Pertronix manual says 3.0 ohm only!
worn
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jun 4 2015, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jun 4 2015, 02:58 PM) *

For our 4cyl. cars Pertronix manual says 3.0 ohm only!

Are the lower resistance ones for higher amperage output CD boxes like MSD? I know that when I had trouble with an MSD box the rep told me that the type of plug wire is important. So I bought some new ones and never put the thing back in.
JimN73
I don't know about MSD, but Mallory requires a 1.4 ohm coil or a 3 ohm coil and a resistor.

Find out before you hook things up. Frying an ignition module on the freeway is not fun, but is expensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.