Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Left turn signals dim in front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BfloRandy
Turn signal question:
The right turn signals work fine, except that the stick has to be in just the right spot...
Guessing that's a contact issue, ordered a new stalk.
The left ones are a different story. Just started recently. For a week or so, I got the "fast blink" so I checked the bulbs, side marker appeared out. So I removed it and found the contacts were a bit corroded. I scraped them off and reinstalled the bulb. Now I got nothing when I tried left. Took the car to the self wash yesterday. Somehow I'm back to the fast blink again. Even better, it was dusk when I tried to use it accidentally. Rear blinks quickly. Front and side do too, but very dimly. Almost seems like some of the juice isn't getting there, but enough is to barely light them. Ideas? confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Bad connections, still. Possibly reversed connections somewhere, or a single-filament bulb in a dual-filament socket, or the other way around.

The "dim light" is usually a sign either of a very high resistance connection, or a sign of the current back-feeding from some other light (which has resistance). Check your grounds, make sure the bulbs are the right type, clean all connections. If that doesn't help, start checking the wire connections to the turn signal buckets (front AND REAR!) and the side-marker light and make sure they match the wiring diagram.

--DD
Spoke
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 4 2015, 08:36 PM) *

Bad connections, still. Possibly reversed connections somewhere, or a single-filament bulb in a dual-filament socket, or the other way around.

The "dim light" is usually a sign either of a very high resistance connection, or a sign of the current back-feeding from some other light (which has resistance). Check your grounds, make sure the bulbs are the right type, clean all connections. If that doesn't help, start checking the wire connections to the turn signal buckets (front AND REAR!) and the side-marker light and make sure they match the wiring diagram.

--DD

agree.gif

Chances are the contacts on the bulb socket are oxidized. This will cause a high resistance in series with the bulb and the bulb to burn gently. The lack of current causes the flasher to hyper-flash(blink at 2x rate).

Remove the turnsignal bulb, clean all the contacts of the socket and try again. Wiggle the bulb to see if the problem still exists. If sometimes the bulb gets brighter, you need to clean the socket again.
BfloRandy
Ok, Installed the new turnsignal stalk yesterday. It's a bit stiff, but I suspect it will wear itself in soon enough. I took the side marker housing off, cleaned the contacts a bit and gave it another shot. Side and front turns still both fast and dim. (left side only) After a bit, I cut off the spade connectors on the side, they looked pretty flimsy/weak, and replaced them with new. Still nothing different. Fiddled with the front turn, and got the bulb to go bright. Got excited. Now... The front is normal, bright and slow blinking. Side is out. I got some current when I tested the connections, even tried two different bulbs and two different side marker housings. No dice. Just won't light. However, at least the front is working normally, and I don't have to watch the stupid fast blink anymore!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.